Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Wyoming DRAFT Quotas

My backup antelope app just went to crap(reduced 100 tags)! I havent looked at all numbers yet but i seen atleast 2 deer regions took big NR hits. Its legit with some of these intense periods of winter nastiness we have had since 2016. Good luck all, either way cant draw if you dont apply...

Elk Unit 7 Type 2 - 4 pt or less bull only. Don't know that I have ever seen Wyo do this before but then again I may have just missed it. I've seen spike only Type 2's but not raghorn's only.

What is the rationale for that kind of change? Landowners? Or just reduce the bull population?

Last edited:
At least the landowners agreed to provide access. I look forward to seeing what that looks like.
Will believe it when I see it. Keep in mind that this new Type 2 tag will be for Converse County only - which has a lot of the Cross, Diamond, True, and Wagonhound Ranches. Will be interesting to see what the demand is for those tags.

Will believe it when I see it. Keep in mind that this new Type 2 tag will be for Converse County only - which has a lot of the Cross, Diamond, True, and Wagonhound Ranches. Will be interesting to see what the demand is for those tags.
Yeah it's a pretty big gamble for guys putting in the way I see it. If I was local I'd consider putting a younger kid in for it. Conceptually it's interesting and good on G&F for coming up with an outside the box solution that's got some logic behind it. Agree it will be interesting to see if it works.

Yeah it's a pretty big gamble for guys putting in the way I see it. If I was local I'd consider putting a younger kid in for it. Conceptually it's interesting and good on G&F for coming up with an outside the box solution that's got some logic behind it. Agree it will be interesting to see if it works.
I think think demand will be a problem, particularly because you'll have to put in for a draw without knowing anything about the possible HMA that they would presumably create (which won't come out until at least July). I would put in for it as a local and gamble that access would actually be given if it was a Type 4 tag, but not as a Type 2.

...I would put in for it as a local and gamble that access would actually be given if it was a Type 4 tag, but not as a Type 2.
Same here, type 4 as a second choice would be an easier sell. edited to add: or type 3? Showing my lack of knowledge on 3's for elk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it's a pretty big gamble for guys putting in the way I see it. If I was local I'd consider putting a younger kid in for it. Conceptually it's interesting and good on G&F for coming up with an outside the box solution that's got some logic behind it. Agree it will be interesting to see

Same here, type 4 as a second choice would be an easier sell. edited to add: or type 3? Showing my lack of knowledge on 3's for elk.
Gen, Type 0, 1, 2, 3, or 9 all have the same effect...you are only permitted one of license of any of these types. Maybe they could create a Type 5 (full price raghorn)?

Sometimes these gambles can really pay off. Look at the type 2 spike only tags in 100 a few years ago. For a couple years in a row you had people hunting any bull for the month of September under a spike only tag. First year it happened my best friend had the tag. We had a ball hunting archery bulls all month. I think the risk is definitely worth the potential reward for the right Hunter.

My hunt areas are the same for antelope. I like the deer proposal. Opens for muley doe tags in same area I hunt antelope. Not really significant chances that affect what I do.

At least the landowners agreed to provide access. I look forward to seeing what that looks like.
Yeah, if you want to pay Dax McCarty for a raghorn hunt...there isnt a single landowner enrolled in the HMA program for this hunt, and there isn't going to be.

This hunt is going to be a joke...internally the GF is not real happy about this hunt either. There's a reason its limited to converse county and was pushed specifically for Dax.

Its going to be crowded with no place to hunt. The few public areas are going to be pounded.

That's just the tip of the iceberg on the problems.

Yeah, if you want to pay Dax McCarty for a raghorn hunt...there isnt a single landowner enrolled in the HMA program for this hunt, and there isn't going to be.

This hunt is going to be a joke...internally the GF is not real happy about this hunt either. There's a reason its limited to converse county and was pushed specifically for Dax.

Its going to be crowded with no place to hunt. The few public areas are going to be pounded.

That's unfortunate to hear...

That's unfortunate to hear...
Yeah, I agree. Its also disheartening to learn that, according to the push behind this, that having 50 bulls per 100 cows is "mismanagement". I about spilled my glass of whisky when I heard that...

After recovering from that near miss, I got to thinking, there just flat is no way to make some people happy.

Complaining about TOO MANY bulls...think I've heard it all now.

I see. I didn't have any insider knowledge, I just assumed that it would be like the late cow hunt 10 or so years ago where they opened up an ad hoc HMA that was actively managed just west of Douglas. I killed a cow on that hunt and I thought it worked out pretty well--not too much pressure and as long as you were hiking well before sunrise, you had a decent chance of getting into the elk before they got to the Wagonhound. In reality it probably won't affect me anyways--I have property in Area 7 (Albany county) but have only drawn one tag for it in the past decade. And I certainly won't be burning my bull tag on a raghorn-only tag with no guaranteed special access.

Glad I didn't apply for 7-1 this year

Never mind, see the later dates now

Last edited:
facechat comments on the subject

Maybe it'll work but if it was a mess for cows I don't see it being any less for Bulls.

Dax McCarty

Steve Garrett
I can tell you that Wagonhound is a proponent of trying this for a year or two to reduce bull numbers and hopefully help with trophy quality. We won't be selling management hunts and will be taking local hunters out to kill bulls. If this passes I would encourage people who draw a type 2 license to get in touch with me through email. There's an email link on our website at wagonhoundoutfitters
I'll be working off of a list and we will be taking people out as much as possible.

• Paul Threlkeld
    Dax McCarty
    how will less bulls grow bigger bulls?

• Paul Threlkeld
    Bryan Ketchum
    they won’t open it for cow hunting so why would they open it up for bulls.

• Dax McCarty
    Bryan Ketchum
    you're correct in that we personally won't "open access" but we will be making an effort to take local people out with a guide or employee.

• Dax McCarty
    Paul Threlkeld
    the bull to cow ratio is over 52 bulls to 100 Cows and the area is managed for 30-40. Less bulls will allow for the more mature bulls to better tend to cow's.

• Paul Threlkeld
    Dax McCarty
    you’ll take resident hunters to kill bulls for no fee?

• Dax McCarty
    Paul Threlkeld
    Again......yes

• Paul Threlkeld
    Dax McCarty
    cool!

• Paul Threlkeld
    Dax McCarty
    I wish you would have been doing it for cows in the past.

• Dax McCarty
    Paul Threlkeld
    we did it for cows years ago for several years and it was a mess. It's a big endeavor and a lot to ask of landowners to take the responsibility and all of the financial burden to get the herd in check. We have always done a youth hunt and plan to continue to but we're not going to turn people loose.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuckyDraw
Back