Wyoming Deer

Region H or holdout for Region G?

• Region H

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Region G

Votes: 15 51.7%

• Total voters

HuntDon

I am currently a resident of eastern Idaho. I have hunted western Wyoming once in the past and had a blast. A Wyoming deer hunt is in the near future, within the next 2 years. If you were me, would you put in for Region H with 4 points or holdout and put in for Region G? Thanks guys.

I hunted Region G in 2019. It’s definitely a cool area to hunt. However, you are probably 4 years out (or more) from drawing it with 4 points. I don’t know if I will accumulate points to try to draw it again, or maybe try another unit/region. I definitely feel like going back a second time I would have a much better idea of areas to focus on.

Region H is excellent as well. If it can be drawn with significantly less points than G I’d say go for it!

I’m planning on a different region with fewer points but depending on how other draws go I could eventually end up with more deer PP than intended and would consider H at that point.

You may want to look at how much of Region H is wilderness and whether that would limit your options. I assume you plan to hunt without a guide or Wyoming resident.

Region H is excellent as well. If it can be drawn with significantly less points than G I’d say go for it!
That's probably what I will end up doing. Luckily, I am less than 2 hours away from all the Units in Region H so I will be able to get out and scout 3 or 4 times before season starts.

You may want to look at how much of Region H is wilderness and whether that would limit your options. I assume you plan to hunt without a guide or Wyoming resident.
Definitely some wilderness area but I would spend most of my scouting time in units with little or no wilderness area.

I’m planning on a different region with fewer points but depending on how other draws go I could eventually end up with more deer PP than intended and would consider H at that point.
If you end up in Region H, let me know. I live in Idaho and am planning on spending a lot of scouting time this summer and over the next year checking things out. I would be happy to share any insight gained.

If you end up in Region H, let me know. I live in Idaho and am planning on spending a lot of scouting time this summer and over the next year checking things out. I would be happy to share any insight gained.
Thanks for the offer

I’d definitely hold out for G. Region H has a lot to wilderness and can be super crowded in the remaining units between residents of nearby towns and almost all the nonresidents crowded in. The quality difference is pretty significant between the units too. I don’t think region h is worth more than a couple points and creep will mean it requires 2-3 times that soon.

Hold off for either right now, neither is recovered from winter 4 years ago yet. Seems to be a age class missing in region. In a normal year H is good not great and crowded but G is way better and less nonres tags.

Thanks for all the great insight. My Wife is finishing nursing school this year so I won't have time for a Wyoming hunt in 2021. I am going to scout both regions this summer and make a decision based off what I find during scouting. Good luck to all of you this year.

Thanks for all the great insight. My Wife is finishing nursing school this year so I won't have time for a Wyoming hunt in 2021. I am going to scout both regions this summer and make a decision based off what I find during scouting. Good luck to all of you this year.
If you are willing to wait as few years, you could hunt elk in Region G on a General tag while you build up deer points there. Then you have boots on the ground knowledge of the country during the season. Being you are in E. Idaho you have the opportunity to make lots of hunts in a season.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back