MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Wyoming Corner Crossing Defense Fund

Now we can start the discussions of all the 'hypothetical' instances this would be acceptable. Do we all have to use ladders, what if there's no pin to mark the corner, etc. Should be a fun summer of reading on here.

I hope the reason the jury offers is NOT that they lacked knowledge of the law because I don’t want the legislature to change the law to strict liability (meaning our knowledge or intent are irrelevant in a criminal proceeding). That would be going backwards.

Thanks, I found the reference.
"Stipe’s potential airspace jury instruction would be based on a Wyoming law that states “[t]he ownership of the space above the lands and waters of this state is declared to be vested in the several owners of the surface beneath subject to the right of flight.”"

I hope the reason the jury offers is NOT that they lacked knowledge of the law because I don’t want the legislature to change the law to strict liability (meaning our knowledge or intent are irrelevant in a criminal proceeding). That would be going backwards.
Uhg, I know what strict liability means. I think it was Redfield that tried to make a civil trespass law here like that but it failed.

Will the jury ever explain why they decided not guilty?

Also, would it require a strict liability clause? If it were clearly stated in the regulations then they couldn't argue the law wasn't clear.

It will be interesting how this shakes out. Twenty dollars says next year the posts will be taller than any ladder you can buy.

Also, would it require a strict liability clause? If it were clearly stated in the regulations then they couldn't argue the law wasn't clear.
I doubt a criminal trespass statute would also have clarifying regs, but I am not WY lawyer.

This doesn't make corner crossing completely legal...

Ideally we just compromise and do a 4 way crossing. Landowner can drive from corner to corner on public land where motorized vehicles (tractors etc.) are not currently allowed and vice versa allows access perpendicular to that at the corner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back