Wyoming antelope?

huntin24/7

Three of us will have 4 points for Wyoming next year and have picked out a few units we're pretty sure we can draw. We need to put in for vacation pretty soon for the hunt, so i'm wondering about how important you guys think it is to be there for the opener. We'll probably have a solid week of hunting and none of us are in a hurry to pull the trigger. Do you guys think it's very important on average to be there at the beginning of season to find the best goats or does it not matter that much in your opinions?

We have never had any trouble going later. Maybe the dumb ones are thinned out some but the nice bucks are holed up away from roads after the first day anyway. I haven't felt we missed out on anything but being mad at all the other hunters early in the season. Good luck

If its a low quota area i wouldnt worry about going later, now if its a high quota area with not much public land I'd personaly would be there opening day.

Good luck

If its a low quota area i wouldnt worry about going later, now if its a high quota area with not much public land I'd personaly would be there opening day.

Good luck

I hate to make it a debate, but I'm the opposite of that. Early in a hunt with limited land, you'll be fighting for a place to get out and hunt. If I was in a crappy access unit I would surely wait.

Now in the case of the OP, with 4 points you should be drawing units that will either have ample land or less tags. It probably won't matter as much.

This year we're hunting two units, one with less tags and plenty of land, one with little land and more tags. Our first day will be the 3rd day of season.

Just my experience. Others may be different.

Three of us will have 4 points for Wyoming next year and have picked out a few units we're pretty sure we can draw. We need to put in for vacation pretty soon for the hunt, so i'm wondering about how important you guys think it is to be there for the opener. We'll probably have a solid week of hunting and none of us are in a hurry to pull the trigger. Do you guys think it's very important on average to be there at the beginning of season to find the best goats or does it not matter that much in your opinions?

Make sure you only look at 2015 and to a lesser extent 2014 draw odds/PP's required for a unit. Pre 2013 info is useless at this point with quota cuts and some point creep.

Antelope can be summed up as are you willing to walk a few miles from the truck or figure out what isn't easy to get to with a vehicle? I think if you think that way you can be successful at any point in the season in pretty much any unit in Wyoming.

I certainly fall in the camp of be there opening day with a few days of scouting already, but I've also yet to burn my PP's and have only been in 2nd choice/leftover units. I think if you look the places other guys usually don't go it doesn't matter when you hunt during the season.

We have only went the 2nd or 3rd week of season and enjoyed our hunts very much. We saw only a handful of hunters each day. I go to the west for the wide open spaces and beauty of it all. I don't think I would enjoy it as much if there were trucks and orange hats over every hill like I have been told it is on the opener. I want to hunt the animal, not have to hunt a certain way or place because of other people. If I had a week to shoot an antelope it would be even more enjoyable to look them over better.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back