Wyoming Antelope Resident Application

Laxmanryan16

I'm going to be applying for Resident Antelope here in WY and wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions for areas in Eastern WY. Will be doing a DIY hunt on public land and haven't hunted antelope here before and looking to see if anyone has had luck before in the units I'm looking at or has other suggestions. I live in Cheyenne so preferably a unit that isn't super super far but if it's worth it that would be cool. I've been looking at applying for units 9, 27, 29 38, 42, 43, 47 as they have good public land access and the WIH/HMA areas. They all seem to have a decent ish draw % for residents according to WGF 2020, some less than others due to tag quotas but figured since there isn't a GEN tag for antelope might as well make a good decision for 1st choice on the application. If anyone has hunted those units or has good advice for something around those areas I'd appreciate any knowledge or info! Thanks!

I have hunted 47 for does. Plenty of antelope and good access. Probably the hardest to draw though out of all of the areas you listed.

Yeah looks like it. Just trying to find a spot with decent draw odds and good public land access since the antelope seem to be everywhere. Seems like WGF is updating their website as the draw odds on the hunt planner don't reflect the pdf. But hopefully I can get drawn for something not super far from Cheyenne and get one. Was looking into 38 maybe or something around there

I've hunted 38 and 47, there's antelope on both but access separates the two. Also hunted 34 a few times and 11 once. From my experience, I'd rank 38 last and hope to draw something further west. There's still a few eastern units that you can keep in your pocket as a second choice and have a great time, just requires a little more effort.

Go west young man. Better hunting a little farther west but some of those areas would work. 38 is hit or miss and pronghorn use it as wintering area. Could be hundreds one day and none later that afternoon, on Laramie side. By late Oct they start filing through to their true winter range on Wheatland side.
Don't overlook the Type 2 tags in 47 . Much more access up there. Numbers are down somewhat in Shirley Basin though.

Seems like the units West of Laramie and closer to Rock Springs have the better options, although they are harder to draw. Or even some up in NE WY seem promising. It's a gamble going for the higher demand units and I would like to get a tag drawn. I would be doing a day hunt as I want to save my PTO for deer/elk so ideally somewhere not super far from Cheyenne would be ideal. Has anyone had luck in 27 or 29 in the Thunder Basin Grassland? Or are units like 47 with type 2 or surrounding units the better play?

I hunted 42 a couple years ago. Plenty of antelope. Mostly “average” size. With the walk in areas and the hma there was plenty area to hunt. I was there later in season so the antelope were pretty spooky but no pressure. I saw one other antelope hunter while I was there.

With the bill getting killed i would wait another year. I hunted 43 and nothing higher than shoe to hide behind. Get a doe tag or two and have fun.

Seems like the units West of Laramie and closer to Rock Springs have the better options, although they are harder to draw. Or even some up in NE WY seem promising. It's a gamble going for the higher demand units and I would like to get a tag drawn. I would be doing a day hunt as I want to save my PTO for deer/elk so ideally somewhere not super far from Cheyenne would be ideal. Has anyone had luck in 27 or 29 in the Thunder Basin Grassland? Or are units like 47 with type 2 or surrounding units the better play?
I use to think about hunting 27 29 because we did a family prairie dog trip in the grasslands an saw Antelope. Another were on private and after hunting out of casper I now will burn my points over there. Had trouble getting to area that was legal to shoot because so many. Finally just walked through them all till legal an got one few hundred feet inside of legal area.

With the bill getting killed i would wait another year. I hunted 43 and nothing higher than shoe to hide behind. Get a doe tag or two and have fun.
What bill are you referring to? Seems like some of the Type 2 tags for some areas could be the play. I'm not looking for a huge trophy buck, would be cool but want to get out and get one or at least have a good chance.

What bill are you referring to? Seems like some of the Type 2 tags for some areas could be the play. I'm not looking for a huge trophy buck, would be cool but want to get out and get one or at least have a good chance.
See wyoming the hit keep coming.

Sorry missed that this was resident. Doesn't apply. Hunt close to where you live or look around casper. Non resident will see 1.5 point creep cause warning shot has been fired of increase in prices and reduced LE tags.

I'm around the Cheyenne area and the Casper units seem solid but possibly low draw odds so it's a gamble. Ideally would like to get out somewhere not super far as I'll be doing day trips but want a chance at success like everyone else. Tough decision of what to put as a first choice. The type 2 for 47 could be the play or maybe something for 48, 63 or 69 since they are around Casper.

I'm around the Cheyenne area and the Casper units seem solid but possibly low draw odds so it's a gamble. Ideally would like to get out somewhere not super far as I'll be doing day trips but want a chance at success like everyone else. Tough decision of what to put as a first choice. The type 2 for 47 could be the play or maybe something for 48, 63 or 69 since they are around Casper.
Almost none of the units you're listing are a reasonable day trip from Cheyenne. Please spend some time studying the drawing odds, harvest reports, and proposed quotas on your own rather than asking for unit-specific handouts. All the units you listed will provide ample opportunity to harvest an antelope. Almost all of them will require camping or staying in a hotel if you live in Cheyenne.

I have spent time looking at draw odds, land access in onX and etc. Wasn't looking for any specific handout or anything just some general information as a first timer but seems like any unit can be successful just needs right place right time and the work put in. And yeah I figured a hotel/camping would be involved which isn't a problem. Thanks.

There's roughly a dozen or so antelope units I check out every year in the Cheyenne, Laramie and Casper areas prior to submitting my application. I use nothing but OnX and the Wyoming G&F website. As a general rule of thumb, the further you get away from the cities, the better the access to public land to hunt. Almost all of them will have fewer tags available this year if the draft regulation changes posted this week are approved.

Living in Cheyenne do some scouting, most of those units east an north are 100% cause if all the private. Lots of good people out there, go knock on few doors or look for guys out working. Worst can happen is told no and use a tank of gas.

Yeah unfortunately a lot of land in eastern and NE WY is mainly private, the grassland is a good amount of public but not as easy to draw. Definitely have seen a lot of antelope driving up and down US-85 waterfowl hunting but couldn't hurt to knock on some doors might as well. I'm applying for an Any and a doe/fawn this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back