Caribou Gear

Wyoming Antelope Hunt???

eastmans mrs section and wyomings hunting regs has alot of info,,,theres alot of public land to hunt in many units,,,just gotta decifer and research what you can draw.

Theres alot of leftovers in the southern part of the state.Go on Wy. website and look into HMA's(hunter management areas).They are private ranches that allow free hunting to the public.Also check for walk in areas;same type thing as hma's
If you plan to rifle hunt 1st week, alot of hma's have a draw to limit the amount of hunters but are easy to draw

For the people that gave positive input.... Thank You!!! To the others... be sure to look me up if you ever hunt Oregon.... I will have your back!!! lol

In the mean time keep building up those Antelope points in Oregon. In like 14 or 15 years you can draw a great tag.

Get a GPS and buy the Wyoming software or chip. Look for a unit in the regs that has high success rates and leftover tags and go to your GPS and check out the land managment of the unit on your GPS. You'll be able to see public and private land and get an idea about accessability of the unit, then if you find a unit you like you can get the walk in book and see how much more private land that opens up to foot traffic hunting...your GPS won't show that. Alot of units will say 100% and over success rates. I, personally, look for units with alot of leftover tags...because to me that means that unit isn't being crowded by other hunters and could be overlooked.

I had to LOL at that Oregon guy's last statement! Chit, Oregon is about the most unfriendly state for nonresidents in the country!!! Look at the prices and chances to draw a tag in a normal lifetime---it's a farce and Eastmans came right out a couple years ago and told all nonresidents to cross Oregon off their potential lists to hunt because it's so bad!!!

Once again the good people at Eastmans were right on! I read that article and could not argue...not to mention the fact that the state doubled their application fees for controled hunts. If I were not already 12years into this process I would simply buy the OTC tags and invest all of my hard earned $ to apply for hunts in other western states.

welcome to hunt talk hunter 57,,,how many points do you have in wyoming so far?that makes a big difference in what your options are.

I do agree that oregon is not a good state if your a non-resident,along with washington tag wise,,,there are good non-res states like wyoming that treat no-residents pretty good .

me too. oregon has problems with making a blend of throphy potential and meat hunts i think,,,let alone protecting wolfs and banning hounds for cougers,.I would never pay the non-res prices for what oregon has to offer,,,many other states have a much better set up.

OOOOOooooooo - have my back in Oregon! I recommend and why don't you view the hundreds of 'antelope' threads within HuntTalk here, and then select 'Resources'.

I'll set the over/under on 57 lasting for 5 days and probably take the under.

57, you aren't looking for help on a draw unit are you? Ya know, one of those "zoo" hunt units of WY where the antelope run wild and thick and there isn't even a challenge?

hunter57 - When I see someone who has shot a deer on a draw hunt all I see is a lottery winner not a hunter. My family and myself will continue to put in for as many draw hunts as possible and if drawn will not use the tag. Just my way of trying to save my tradition of hunting for my son.

This is just a little quote from 57 on another forum where he lasted all of 24 hours.

I wouldn't offer up any information to this guy. I could add more "quotes" but the one above about sums it up.

i know this is an older thread, but I've been doing my own research on WY antelope, and yes the information is out there with a little leg work, studying some maps, and reading Eastmans MRS over and over again...

I've come up with my short list of WY antelope units, but i have a question for some of you seasoned DIYers...

How many of you subscribe to HuntinFool? I dont know if I'll get shot asking that aruond here... I dont hear much about it, and being from Texas, I'm a bit unplugged from the western big game hunting scene...

let me know your thoughts.

thanks!!

I get both magazines the Eastmans put out and my buddy subscribes to the Huntin Fool, so we have everything covered! Just be aware that there are real good buck antelope in most units if you have the time to look for them, get off the beaten path, and don't shoot the first dink you see!!!

Topgun, thanks for your input! I recieve both Eastmans mags, and they are very very helpful!

Yeah that's what I was hoping to hear. Does anyone know how the winter has been so far up there, and how hard its been on the deer, and antelope?

To the best of my knowledge the entire state is having a very mild winter with not much snowfall and the temps have been nothing like last year either. If it stays that way and there is decent moisture come Spring, next season the animals should be in decent shape. I think it has been pretty much the same way up through most of Montana and the Dakotas.

Great!! Yeah I saw a map of the snowfall across the entire Western US for this year, compared to last year, pretty amazing how much less snowfall they got this year.

Glad to hear things are mild-er.

thanks for the info guys !

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back