Wyoming 90/10 Bill Making Rounds Again

WyoDoug

Not sure the sponsors of this bill KNOW the true impact of the bill. As a resident that might benefit in terms of easier draws on licenses, I am against this because of the economic impacts it has on local and state economies.

Not sure the sponsors of this bill KNOW the true impact of the bill. As a resident that might benefit in terms of easier draws on licenses, I am against this because of the economic impacts it has on local and state economies.

You should really
Look at the numbers. The economic impact is not that significant in terms of total license revenue.

Sorry but hints for Moose, Sheep, Goat and Bison are not a major economic driving force. In terms of guided hunts there is data that shows residents are as likely as NR to use an outfitter at least outside the stupid wilderness rules.

You should really
Look at the numbers. The economic impact is not that significant in terms of total license revenue.

Sorry but hints for Moose, Sheep, Goat and Bison are not a major economic driving force. In terms of guided hunts there is data that shows residents are as likely as NR to use an outfitter at least outside the stupid wilderness rules.
I know that on revenue. The economic impact comes from what these guys spend on outfitters and in the local economies.

I know that on revenue. The economic impact comes from what these guys spend on outfitters and in the local economies.
Seriously you think that NR moose hunters are a major cost driving factor? What exactly would a NR hunter spend money on in Pinedale to hunt moose that a resident from Cheyenne would not? I am curious, is it not possible that a resident might actually spend more? The one report showed that the number of residents booking a guide for sheep was virtually the same as the number of NR. One thing is for certain, the resident hunter is getting all his supplies, his fuel, his groceries, from with in state. Many NR hunters come packed with everything they need, pack in a bunch of fuel and more... Just for example the unit with the largest number of moose licenses available last year was unit 26 type 1... 32 tags for Resident and 7 for non. The new numbers would be 36 resident and 3 for NR. Now adding one more tag to the total to get 50 would mean 4 NR. If 3 NR hunters have any measurable impact on the local economy then the economy has much larger issues at hand.

Not to mention, the impact by a resident hunter can often be greater given these situations as the nonresident. As the resident hunter will likely buy all their fuel instate, food instate, etc. Also instate hunters are more likely to spend extra days scouting, camping early, and are more likely to have more total days available than a NR who is travelling across the country. The guide and outfitters spoke at one point and said they were as likely to book resident hunters for the OIL type tags as a NR as a result there was not even a major fight from the Outfitters against this move.

I think the difference is non residents are bringing in money from out of state and spending it in Wyoming. Whatever that amount may be. Residents, they may be spending just as much money on the same hunt, for gas, lodging, food, etc, but that money likely would have been spent in Wyoming anyway. Just total speculation on my part, I'm no economist. Just seems advantageous if a state has people coming from other places and bringing their money to spend on goods and services. People already living in the state are going to spend their money in the state regardless if they go on a particular hunt or not.

I think the difference is non residents are bringing in money from out of state and spending it in Wyoming. Whatever that amount may be. Residents, they may be spending just as much money on the same hunt, for gas, lodging, food, etc, but that money likely would have been spent in Wyoming anyway. Just total speculation on my part, I'm no economist. Just seems advantageous if a state has people coming from other places and bringing their money to spend on goods and services. People already living in the state are going to spend their money in the state regardless if they go on a particular hunt or not.
Yellowstone park tourism makes NR hunting revenue insignificant.

Wyoming gets around $3.05 billion dollars a year in terms of money spent on the local economy from tourism and a huge percentage of that is hunting, fishing and skiing. The money is significant. If you cut back the NR license quotas you not only cut back the license fees you also cut back the money that is spent on local economies. Residents don't spend near as much as nonresidents do. They don't have to. The two biggest sources of tourism dollars is the hunting and skiing industries. If this bill passes, yeah we will always have the resident hunters but we will lose the money nonresidents spent. They bring in a whole lot more money than you realize.

Yes I'm sure that's probably true. I was just speculating on why money coming into the state from non resident hunters might be more beneficial than the same amount of money being spent by resident hunters.
I don't buy that theory at all...when I drew my moose permit in Wyoming the hotels in Pinedale, the restaurants in Pinedale, the convenience stores in Pinedale charged me the same price as everyone else. Same with my sheep tag and the Cody area.

I think the revenue issue is a mute point. Times have changed. Resident hunters aren't generally "broke meat hunters" anymore. Any funding shortfalls I believe the residents would gladly pay to get more of these OIL type tags. This is going to be a continuing trend. Heck a thread in the MT section just cracked 17 pages talking about kicking all the NR's out of the state for hunting. Colorado dropping their percentages will be next. I am a nonresident and even though this will greatly diminish my chances, I respect the residents and their right to decide how they want their wildlife managed just like I will get to vote to decide for my state.

Wyoming gets around $3.05 billion dollars a year in terms of money spent on the local economy from tourism and a huge percentage that is hunting, fishing and skiing. The money is significant. If you cut back the NR license quotas you not only cut back the license fees you also cut back the money that is spent on local economies. Residents don't spend near as much as nonresidents do. They don't have to. The two biggest sources of tourism dollars is the hunting and skiing industries. If this bill passes, yeah we will always have the resident hunters but we will lose the money nonresidents spent. They bring in a whole lot more money than you realize.

Point out in your article where hunting and skiing are the two biggest sources of tourism dollars.

Its impossible...considering 3.8-4.0 million people visit Yellowstone each year.

I also disagree that Residents spend less than NR hunters...that may be true for some hunters, but that's a pretty broad brush to be painting the picture with.

Lots of Residents travel all across the State to hunt multiple tags along way from home. Lots of Residents use guides, stay in hotels, eat at local restaurants, etc.

Many NR's bring food and fuel from home, camp the whole time for free on public land, and spend very little here.

Its not as cut and dried as you make is sound.

I don't buy that theory at all...when I drew my moose permit in Wyoming the hotels in Pinedale, the restaurants in Pinedale, the convenience stores in Pinedale charged me the same price as everyone else. Same with my sheep tag and the Cody area.
Of course they did. What I'm saying is the money you spent you likely would have spent in Wyoming on something else, if you didn't go on that particular moose hunt. Or, at least it would be sitting in a bank in Wyoming. Whereas a non resident spending the same money, brought that money in from another state, which otherwise would have been spent elsewhere. It just seems it's better for Wyoming to have people coming from other places and leaving their money in the state of Wyoming. The state does seem to encourage tourism, so I can't be all wrong. They welcome people from other states, whether it's for hunting or any other sort of tourism.

Also I better add that I'm not saying Wyoming shouldn't limit the number of tags going to non residents. I have no issue with that.

The moose, goat, sheep, and bison tags, in my opinion should be 100% for residents of the state.

Of course they did. What I'm saying is the money you spent you likely would have spent in Wyoming on something else, if you didn't go on that particular moose hunt. Or, at least it would be sitting in a bank in Wyoming. Whereas a non resident spending the same money, brought that money in from another state, which otherwise would have been spent elsewhere. It just seems it's better for Wyoming to have people coming from other places and leaving their money in the state of Wyoming. The state does seem to encourage tourism, so I can't be all wrong. They welcome people from other states, whether it's for hunting or any other sort of tourism.
I doubt it would have been spent elsewhere when I didn't have a moose tag, and money in the bank is stupid, more likely sitting in a brokerage account working for me.

We do benefit greatly from Tourism, but hunting is only one small part.

Wyoming gets around $3.05 billion dollars a year in terms of money spent on the local economy from tourism and a huge percentage of that is hunting, fishing and skiing. The money is significant. If you cut back the NR license quotas you not only cut back the license fees you also cut back the money that is spent on local economies. Residents don't spend near as much as nonresidents do. They don't have to. The two biggest sources of tourism dollars is the hunting and skiing industries. If this bill passes, yeah we will always have the resident hunters but we will lose the money nonresidents spent. They bring in a whole lot more money than you realize.

Apples vs oranges.
The tourist income is largely from Jackson, Yellowstone, and Tetons.

I think the days of justifying NR tag quotas from a funding/finance perspective are coming to an end. I bet most residents would be plenty happy to pay more for their tags if it meant more tags available exclusively to them (or just less crowding). I don't think we are all that far out from most states not offering any real NR opportunity...at least for the more desired/antlered big game. I'd hate to be in the huntinfool/gohunt/epic draw odds/hunt services game. I think those businesses will not have much of a base in the coming decades. $0.02.

This poor horse. Good for WY residents going after what the residents of about every other western state already have. Sucks for those who gambled on the system never, ever changing and chose to give their money to WY with nothing promised in return. Not much different than buying a $150 raffle ticket every year.

This poor horse. Good for WY residents going after what the residents of about every other western state already have. Sucks for those who gambled on the system never, ever changing and chose to give their money to WY with nothing promised in return. Not much different than buying a $150 raffle ticket every year.
I should qualify this by saying that I once again bought a sheep and moose "raffle ticket" from WY G&F this year. If I don't get lucky, I'll see what the system looks like moving forward before deciding whether or not to continue to gamble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back