Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Wyoming 26

chasencrooks

Will be headed out Wy first part of October. Drew 2 deer doe tags for 22 and got 5 lope tags for 26. Called all the land owners I had on my list and they are all booked up for the season and I will not pay a guide to hunt so I guess that leaves me with public land. I know there isn't much but I don't mind hiking in. Seems if you have a gps and a good map you can walk back into some land. Looked at the walk in area and it looks good but I'm not sure what the presure will be like. If any one has hunted the area or has ideas I would like what info you do have. Never been on a pronghorn hunt and am looking forward to it. I figured after retiring from the Marines I would take the time to go on a pronghorn hunt. Hopfully I can make in an annual event. Best of luck to all this season.

While not hunting in those specific areas, my experience hunting the last 2 years over there is after the opener you shouldn't find too much competition from other hunters. There is a lot of BLM land you should have no trouble finding antelope. What are you doing for proccessing of your animals? Good luck!

Im not hunting that particular unit so i havnt got carried away researching it,,,Im sure youll find a place to go in the wyoming walk-in atlas section,,,be aware that antelope are hard to judge if this is your first time,,they tend to shrink so take your time field judging,,,research all you can and good luck.

boutdoors
Thanks for the info on presure. Hopefully we will find them on the BLM and state lands. All I know is Oct can't get here soon enough.
We will just bone them out and throw them in a cooler with Ice. We might use a meat locker if we have the time and if there is a good one in town.

Dan,
I would like a nice buck but what I really want is a heart shape. Anything 14-16 is good by me since this will be my first pronghorn.

I would hope you would be happy with one like that, LOL! If you see a 14" goat, you best shoot him and not expect on a first hunt to be shooting a 16" booner for Pete's sake!

I usually dont reply to these type of threads or get into specifics...but, just this once.

I hunted 26 last year on a leftover tag I bought. I got to the unit the day before the opener and looked over nearly all the accessible public lands there. The walkin areas were getting lots of pressure and a ton of hunters. Every single piece of legally accessible public lands I looked at had some antelope on them, some a lot more than others. The antelope there, including those I looked at on private, are of average size for the most part. From what I saw, I'd seriously consider shooting any buck you see that scores 72+. I probably saw a dozen bucks that were between 72 to maybe 75 at the top end. Not much length on any of them, and a 14 inch buck wasnt easy to find. There are some with good mass, good prongs, good horn shapes. Very nice antelope, in particular for a first timer.

I went back to the buck I liked best after a full day of driving around looking and made sure he was there right at dark. The next morning I got there plenty early and waited for enough light to relocate them. I found them, did my stalk, and as the sun was just peaking over the horizon, I shot.

IMG_4498.JPG

You'll have fun, but I'd expect company, although I didnt see anyone else hunting the section I killed my buck on.

I'd also not set unrealistic expectations, as the unit is not easy hunting as there isnt much public. I think expecting to shoot an average buck antelope isnt unrealistic, but expecting to find a 16 inch buck there, let alone finding one on public, is stretching. Finding them is half the battle, getting them killed is an entirely different thing.

I'd also have a GPS with ownership information and good maps.

Good luck and I hope you have a great hunt.

I guess I am a dreamer and I think many took my statement wrong. Tell me who wouldn't be happy with a 14-16" buck? I'm not really that picky but I will hold out as long as I can for the buck I really want. The most important thing to me is the hunt not the take. So if I don't get the buck I want. I know I will have fun no matter what I am able to take.

Thinks for all the information and the advice.

We looked at that and the mine will let you hunt on the land they have. You just have to check in with them. I think we should do good. Thanks for all the help.

Here is my buck. We had a blast and filled 10 tags in 3 days. I remeber why I love Wyoming.

Attachments

• ANTELOPE.jpg
    ANTELOPE.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 589
  • ANTELOPE 1.jpg
    ANTELOPE 1.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 588
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members