PEAX Equipment

Wyoming 2022 Application Book

I really don't think we have enough points EXCEPT for an antlerless or just do a reduced cow/calf and keep building.
Why would you pay twice as much (more with points) for a cow? -6 taste exactly the same but i will tell you there several zones that aint worth hunting on any tag type (66 comes to mind). Apply for both hell... make the -4 second choice on a -1 app if theres a draw chance. Dont use gohunt, get on g&f website and figure it out and remember harvest data is only estimated so dont count on it. Use search feature here also we do this every january...

Why would you pay twice as much (more with points) for a cow? -6 taste exactly the same but i will tell you there several zones that aint worth hunting on any tag type (66 comes to mind). Apply for both hell... make the -4 second choice on a -1 app if theres a draw chance. Dont use gohunt, get on g&f website and figure it out and remember harvest data is only estimated so dont count on it. Use search feature here also we do this every january...
We just want to hunt elk, and have a chance. That's why we're looking at cow/antlerless. We don't have enough between us all to get a bull/general tag, we're realizing now. I 'thought' we had a chance for the units near Sheridan (Bighorn range), within the time limitation we have (end of September, 1st week of October). It appears the only thing available then are cow/calf tags. So we're now looking at applying for one of those, and maybe a couple of deer tags.

To head off the many questions of the sequence of the Wyoming elk draw, they have provided this really good flow chart. Posting here for convenience.

View attachment 206962
Just a thought for Wyoming to consider: If you need to create a diagram that has colors, arrows and a key, maybe, just maybe you need to make the process simpler? Hell it even took me 5 mintues to digest that beast and fully make sure I understood the chart. @wllm1313 probably even needs a mintue to get through it!

Just a thought for Wyoming to consider: If you need to create a diagram that has colors, arrows and a key, maybe, just maybe you need to make the process simpler? Hell it even took me 5 mintues to digest that beast and fully make sure I understood the chart. @wllm1313 probably even needs a mintue to get through it!
How do you recommend it be simplified?

This is what happens with tiered license fee structures and preference points.

Everytime there is a recommendation to simplify things via changing point systems, allocations, or one fee...somebody gets butthurt.

Everytime there is a recommendation to simplify things via changing point systems, allocations, or one fee...somebody gets butthurt.
I agree, people get mad when something is going to change. Doesn't really matter what it is.

Honestly, if I were in control for Wyoming I wouldn't really change much with the process of getting a big game tag in Wyoming. I was just making a joke about how bad that chart looks to someone new to the game. I guess I'm not a big fan of the whole special draw concept.

I agree, people get mad when something is going to change. Doesn't really matter what it is.

Honestly, if I were in control for Wyoming I wouldn't really change much with the process of getting a big game tag in Wyoming. I was just making a joke about how bad that chart looks to someone new to the game. I guess I'm not a big fan of the whole special draw concept.
Complaining is the easy part.

What is ironic/funny… sad? Is it never goes the opposite way and gets simpler.

30 years from now after one group or another gets butthurt the system will get 10 extra steps.

What is ironic/funny… sad? Is it never goes the opposite way and gets simpler.

30 years from now after one group or another gets butthurt the system will get 10 extra steps.
It would if a couple interest groups would stay out of things...along with the legislature.

Honestly, with how complicated the draw is, hell I don't know why anyone would even bother with hunting Wyoming.

Montana is much easier, one tag, 6 months of season, one fee...no fuss.

I don’t know that system is getting to be pretty convoluted as well… I have 8 bonus points but I’m thinking of just letting them go, having to buy preferences points now and make it through two draws? Or maybe all those units are general next year… 🤯

I’m not sure any western state is without sin… AK has some nuts rules… Idaho… Colorado.

I feel like I’m sitting down to a super complicated board game every year.

Last edited:
It would if a couple interest groups would stay out of things...along with the legislature.

Honestly, with how complicated the draw is, hell I don't know why anyone would even bother with hunting Wyoming.

Buzz: how did the Type 2 tag offered in the Wagonhound area work out last season? Was there a lot of demand from residents?

Last edited:
Have been just buying bonus points in wyoming but this year I plan to actually put in for the draw. I dont have enough points to draw what I want so will just be looking at the random. I realize they take the money up front, but how much do you get back?? Everything except for the $15 application fee and the credit card processing fee??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back