Caribou Gear

Wyoming 2022 Application Book

I have 8 elk, 7 deer, and 2 antelope points going into 2022. With the possible changes coming in 2023+ it is making me nervous on deciding what to do. There are several good units it looks like I could draw for elk (pending what other higher point holders decide to do), would love to hunt Region G deer in a year or two, and the area my dad and I like to hunt for pronghorn takes 4-6 points. With that said, it makes me wonder what the future will hold and if I should go ahead and burn the elk and deer points.

This would be a 2023 Legislature and 2024 draw cycle, but the latest back room conversation appears to be 90/10 for E/D/A and to get WYOGA on board, half of those 10% nr licenses would be for outfitted hunts only, similar to the NM model. Leaving diy nr at 5%.

This would be a 2023 Legislature and 2024 draw cycle, but the latest back room conversation appears to be 90/10 for E/D/A and to get WYOGA on board, half of those 10% nr licenses would be for outfitted hunts only, similar to the NM model. Leaving diy nr at 5%.
90/10 I can support all day, but an outfitter set aside within that would be deeply disappointing. Especially with the wilderness rule in place.

90/10 I can support all day, but an outfitter set aside within that would be deeply disappointing. Especially with the wilderness rule in place.
I agree it’s dumb. I wonder if a % of NR gen deer and gen elk would have to be guided, since the 90/10 doesn’t apply to them.

I think we all saw that one coming with the 90/10 move. If there is one thing WYOGA and WY resident hunters can agree on, it is sticking it to DIY non resident hunters, ala the wilderness rule.

I believe that set-aside is the only way to get WYOGA on board.
Rob Shaul is also suing WGF over their practice of not counting reduced price Elk licenses in the total 7,250 nr Elk quota. That'll have an impact.
Wyoming can’t kill enough elk in certain regions. Reduced price resident tags are left over in the draw and go out in the leftover draw. Reducing the amount of NR hunters that draw isn’t going to fix any issues. It will just make more licenses in the left over draw where R/NR quota doesn’t matter.

I don’t see this as a win for outfitters? By their own statistics 25% of NR already go guided so they wouldn’t really gain a single deer hunter while cutting their potential client pool in half. They’d gain possibly 1 elk hunter? Draw odds would most likely still be shitty for the top shelf units, even in the outfitter draw. However if the general elk and regional deer licenses were also subject to the 50% set aside then I could see this as a big win for outfitters. The numbers for only the LQ just don’t add up to me. Maybe I’m missing something.

I would think WYOGA could run the numbers and see if it makes sense. I think the initial email and proposal was before anybody put a pencil to it. Time will flesh all this out. There are so many people on that task force it's a miracle anything gets done.
As a non resident I’m kinda hoping they don’t get anything done

I don’t see this as a win for outfitters? By their own statistics 25% of NR already go guided so they wouldn’t really gain a single deer hunter while cutting their potential client pool in half. They’d gain possibly 1 elk hunter? Draw odds would most likely still be shitty for the top shelf units, even in the outfitter draw. However if the general elk and regional deer licenses were also subject to the 50% set aside then I could see this as a big win for outfitters. The numbers for only the LQ just don’t add up to me. Maybe I’m missing something.
My guess is that 25% number was inflated to make a certain point, and would magically change should they need to make a different one. I could be wrong.

If I put in for a type 4 cow tag can I change to any elk (general) tag later? What about type 7 tag to general? Life has happened and want to make deadline but probably need to either not apply or find cheapest way for now and modify application in a few months.

If I put in for a type 4 cow tag can I change to any elk (general) tag later? What about type 7 tag to general? Life has happened and want to make deadline but probably need to either not apply or find cheapest way for now and modify application in a few months.
No, you can't change from type 7 to general. They are different prices and applications. I think you can change from type 4 to general, or vise versa, but not sure when the deadline is for that.

You can also just put in for both and withdraw one or both by the modify/withdraw date.

Everybody on the internet: “Don’t forget to apply, only 38 minutes left!!”

Everybody when draw results come out: “Geez look at all the people that applied, this is bullsh*t! POINT CREEP!!”

I have 13 deer points which is kind of a "no mans land" in Wyoming... Enough points for 89, 125, 34 and region G/H... But 1-2 points shy of 119, 105, 87 or 90??? What do you do keep putting in for 119 or 105 or ...... pull the plug on 84 or 89??? Let me know if anyone has any ideas??? Point creep seems to most effect Wyoming...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back