Wyoming 2021

I have three, group I am going with all have 3 as well but my buddy's dad wants to go sooner than later. 3 enough to get to a decent spot? would like a decent one for the wall but dont expect B&C. From the midwest and mostly whitetail hunt so any decent one is going on the wall.

If your goal is just opportunity, I would just pick the unit you think looks most fun. Check out the success #'s for Wyoming antelope. Most units it's 80+% so your going to get a buck. If you want something with size for your 4-5 years of points you will find them in a 4 point unit. It will just take more work like any other kind of hunting.
The success numbers are pretty deceiving IMO since they dont show numbers for private vs public- it could be a huge variance depending on which you are hunting.

I'm debating on sending in with my daughter. We have 1 point each and she's finally old enough. I went out 2017-2019

And they are made up...only estimated. Wyoming doesnt have have harvest reporting requirements.
Not made up but based on the responses they get from surveys. If hunters lie on their surveys then you get that data.

Take this advise for what its worth....

I have hunted all scenarios, a premium max points tag, 0-2 point tags, and mid tier tags.

The premium is just as advertised. Low hunting pressure, higher percentage of quality animals, generally ample amounts of public land. My hunt I scouted 3 bucks I thought would make B&C. I looked at literally hundreds of great antelope that would have scored in the low to high 70's. I hunted all of archery season chasing those 3 bucks and saw 0 other hunters. Opening morning of rifle I had my number 2 & 3 buck standing in the same group at daylight. I shot No. 3 as he just had that look I wanted. Scored 84 5/8". Amazingly fun hunt, wish I could do it again but would never likely draw again in my lifetime.

Easy to draw tag. Very crowded, limited public land, tough to navigate between private and public, with very high competition for animals. Animals running around like pinball between people shooting at them, very stressful hunting environment. Bullets bouncing around everywhere. Felt very fortunate to turn up a good buck (upper 70's right place right time) with the pressure, most guys shoot the first legal buck they see. Antelope running to and from private. CHAOS. Could be a better hunt if you had access on good private. Public hunting gets tough when the guys on private tag out.

Mid tier hunt. Decent population of antelope, fair amount of public ground, pressure seemed manageable. Felt like I could shop a little for a decent buck without the masses running me over to get to them, especially after the first couple of days. Killed an upper 70's buck. A mix of the two other hunts.

The question being what experience do you want out of the hunt because while you could still potentially kill a good antelope on any hunt, there are obvious differences in hunting pressure and human stupidity running around. The ratio of good bucks to hunters obviously increases as the hunting pressure decreases with points being involved. I would suggest the mid tier type (4-7 points) hunt for decent trophy potential, unless you're just set on banging some antelope for the freezer as often as possible, then it would be a low end hunt. If your looking for a once in a lifetime chance to kill a great one, I would save for a high end point hunt. You are never guaranteed a trophy animal on any of the hunts, a lot of factors can shape that over time or during the hunt.

The simile factor: all are fun but some are more fun than others

0-2 points = kids birthday party at Chucky Cheese's
0-2 points w/ private= kids birthday party at Chucky Cheese's but you have your own private room.
4-7 points = Private family vacation in a great location
max points = Vacation without kids/ clothing optional

Last edited:
Well everybody, I feel like I have now put myself in an odd spot in the Wyoming draw. I originally planned on burning my points every 1-2 years on lesser “quality” units. But I have had some things come up and now I’m sitting with 4 points. I understand I can draw a couple of decent hunts with where I’m at in the point game. If you were in my shoes would you burn the points or continue to gain points until you’re let’s just say in that 8 + point range?

The other aspect of point creep to stress is unit selection. If you apply for a unit that takes *exactly* 4 points, there is a very good chance you will not get it, even if you pay twice as much for the special draw. Happened to me last year. With 4 points, you probably want to look at one that's a 100% draw for 3 points or even <3.

We've been chasing the same unit for three years. First year, after the draw we were 1 point from a 100% draw and were in the random draw. Next year we were .5 points from a 100% draw and were in the random. Last year (2020) we were half a point from 100% draw and 33% total odds including the random draw. We should draw in 2021. With my experience in mind, if you want a top tier unit and you are just starting out on points I would plan on hunting pronghorn in about 2050. I have 12 points. To draw the red desert would probably take me another 7 or 8 years, at least. I don't want to wait that long so I have paired with my son and we are drawing the "Private family vacation in a great location". unit. I'm too old to be running around clothing optional anyway.

I burned four points last year in Wyoming. Had a great hunt. Saw thousands of antelope. Looked at hundreds of bucks. Killed a large bodied 76" goat and had a great time with my best friend. I'll apply for that unit every year and hopefully I draw it every 3-5 years.

2021 is going to be my first out-of-state rifle hunt. Wyoming Antelope is what I'm going to target. I've been reading on here a lot over the last couple months. Without any points, me and a friend are going to put in for doe tags. I might also put in for the random draw, but it looks to be a long shot to get a buck tag, way less then 10%.

I've been studying the 2020 and 2019 draw results and comparing them to units with "better" public land. I learned very quickly, that its a long shot to even get doe tags in a unit with prime public land. It was a little disheartening at first, but feel like I have it narrowed down to a couple units I'll be happy hunting with mediocre public land and mediocre doe draw odds.

With all of that, I need a little luck for 2021!!!

I know that I'm a newbie here, so I'm not expecting much help. I hope everyone is having a great winter and enjoying the time planning for a great fall of 2021!

Such a fun style of hunt and low key compared to others, burn those points every chance you get!!

2021 is going to be my first out-of-state rifle hunt. Wyoming Antelope is what I'm going to target. I've been reading on here a lot over the last couple months. Without any points, me and a friend are going to put in for doe tags. I might also put in for the random draw, but it looks to be a long shot to get a buck tag, way less then 10%.

I've been studying the 2020 and 2019 draw results and comparing them to units with "better" public land. I learned very quickly, that its a long shot to even get doe tags in a unit with prime public land. It was a little disheartening at first, but feel like I have it narrowed down to a couple units I'll be happy hunting with mediocre public land and mediocre doe draw odds.

With all of that, I need a little luck for 2021!!!

I know that I'm a newbie here, so I'm not expecting much help. I hope everyone is having a great winter and enjoying the time planning for a great fall of 2021!
I would highly suggest subscribing to Gohunt, Toprut or another service. There are a number of units that would provide much better than 10% odds in a good unit.

Trying to debate on spending my 3 points this year in WY on a special draw or holding onto next year and going to MT this year with “hopefully enough” 3 points. My odds seem good go to MT then next year to WY. I’ll have to finalize my research before I decide

Back