Wyoming 2021

Been killing me to not draw a lope tag in WY, 6 points since my last tag. My son turn 9 this spring. In three years I will split my nine points and we can both draw a tag, an August bow hunt will be perfect before he heads back to school. Colorado and Montana will have to keep filling in till then for me...lord knows I am not drawing NM, Utah, Az or Nv with out a miracle

Sweet that's awesome! Anyone know if units 34, 37, 38 or 43 are any good? Looking for something that's not a huge drive from Cheyenne if anyone has any info I'd appreciate it.

A few years ago I tried to use 4 points to get into a unit that was 100% the year before and didn't make it so I decided to keep being points for a few years. It didn't seem like there was a ton of difference in quality in the hunts between that 4-8 point range.

I am at 6 points and will be burning my points this year with a group of friends. Its a long way to go for us so I hope everyone holds out for good bucks.

Sweet that's awesome! Anyone know if units 34, 37, 38 or 43 are any good? Looking for something that's not a huge drive from Cheyenne if anyone has any info I'd appreciate it.
Access is the issue. What little public areas that are in those units get hit hard. For rifle hunting, HMA permission slip numbers are very limited when compared to the number of tags available in those units. You may be able to find a rancher that may allow access for antelope. Good luck though.

Reactions: JDH
Access is the issue. What little public areas that are in those units get hit hard. For rifle hunting, HMA permission slip numbers are very limited when compared to the number of tags available in those units. You may be able to find a rancher that may allow access for antelope. Good luck though.
Do you have to apply for WIA permission slips to get them? I have noticed a lot of land north and east of Cheyenne is mainly private which is unfortunate but I'll try to see if I can get ahold of a rancher that would grant access for a weekend.

No permission slips for Walk-In Areas that I'm aware of. Recommend you visit the Public Access tab on on the Wyoming Game & Fish webpage and review the individual Walk In Area you're interested in as rules may vary from area to area. Some of them may have different access dates, species you can hunt etc... The Hunter Management Areas do require a permission slip. The application periods for those generally start in the early July timeframe.

Good to know thanks for the info, I had thought the HMA were the same as the WIA but makes sense they limit the number of people allowed. Does that just go as a draw too or FCFS or any idea?

I believe OP is from ID.

I am a NR and see what were easy to get with 2 point units 4-5 years ago now at 6-7-8 points.....kinda nuts, but it is what it is...

I believe OP is from ID.

I am a NR and see what were easy to get with 2 point units 4-5 years ago now at 6-7-8 points.....kinda nuts, but it is what it is...
Yup, from Idaho where rifle antelope tags for bucks aren’t easy to get. I feel comfortable after reading everybody’s experience I can have a pretty good hunt with 4 points.

I day burn your points and go hunting. You could get hit by a bus tomorrow. But I may be a pronghorn junkie and live in Wyoming. I also moved out west from the east coast mainly for the hunting. May want to take my advice with a grain of salt but antelope hunting is fun and ill do it every chance I get. Which is every year as a resident 😉.

If your goal is just opportunity, I would just pick the unit you think looks most fun. Check out the success #'s for Wyoming antelope. Most units it's 80+% so your going to get a buck. If you want something with size for your 4-5 years of points you will find them in a 4 point unit. It will just take more work like any other kind of hunting.

Pick a unit that you have a decent chance in, that has the public ground your comfortable with and keep applying each year until drawn. Buy a point each year. I will say, with 4 points, I think the "top tier" units are about 20 years away. I was saving for those desert units but after 9 years I decided to burn my points with my youngest and go with a 7-8 point unit. Point creep has crept and we still haven't drawn. 2021 should be the year. Even with 11 points I'm still probably 8 or 9 years away, at least, from the desert units. I don't want to wait that long.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Debbry64
Back