Wyoming 2021

Idahoarcheryhunter

Well everybody, I feel like I have now put myself in an odd spot in the Wyoming draw. I originally planned on burning my points every 1-2 years on lesser “quality” units. But I have had some things come up and now I’m sitting with 4 points. I understand I can draw a couple of decent hunts with where I’m at in the point game. If you were in my shoes would you burn the points or continue to gain points until you’re let’s just say in that 8 + point range?

I'm in the same situation. My hunting buddy's work schedule has made trip planning incredibly high maintenance. We'll likely be burning our first chance we can work it into a fall schedule.

If you have time to go i would use them. With 4 points you should be able to draw a pretty decent tag. Point creep seems to be fairly bad in Wyoming and you might not be able to hunt an area that's much better in 4 years than what you can draw now.

You didn't say what species, weapon or season. That could make a huge difference in options.

I am surely no expert on Wyoming but the odds of drawing a "good unity" are pretty good even with little points (just because of how the points system is and the way draws get done). If you just have to have "the unit" I would just gather points but if your looking for a "good" antelope hunt there are so many units that will put you on some very nice antelope for sure, specially with a rifle. I am not a trophy guy so for me it's about getting the opportunity. Ive drawn out of state in Wyoming with zero points just because of the way the draws are done.

Here is a great explanation of Wyomings Draw system if you don't know it already.

I’d be expecting 2-3 years to get a point ahead. Keep that in mind.

I started saving for a 3 point unit the first year I bought Wyoming points. I now have 9 points and I MAYBE could draw that unit this year if I wanted to. Maybe.

I’m aware of how the draw system works, I just don’t know if it’s worth it to hold out for one of the “premium” units.
Not sure what a "premium" unit is but you need to get a plan! Pick a unit and apply till you draw it, thats not complicated. Majority of wyoming units offer great lope just access can be issue. I shot a 73" buck on a 2nd choice tag this year and hunted 4 hours, passed on 7 bucks before i shot him, very little public land in unit and still wasnt hard. Had i drawn my first choice i would have hunted for days looking for specfic bigger bucks. My point is premium antelope hunts mean access and time glassing to find a good buck and passing on possibly hundreds of bucks, most units have the animal potential in my opinion.

We have five years of points and want to draw this year. It would be our first antelope hunt but I'm getting older and want to get a few years of hunts with my son before I can't.

Tough researching what area to draw.

I'm sure with 4 points you can pull a pretty decent unit, I'm new to WY and have 0 points and can't seem to find draw odds per points like CO has for units here for antelope and deer. I personally would use what I had unless there's an amazing unit worth saving up another year or two for somewhere that's just that much better. Depends on if you are willing to hold off for this year or want to get out and get one for the meat. Could also buy a point and go get a doe/fawn tag if you just want the meat.

I hunted a <1 PP unit last year and if I hunted it again I could walk away with a nice buck if arrived a few days early to scout, and/or did archery.

Some hunters want a short hunt, an easy hunt, don’t want to constantly consult OnX, etc, and a higher PP unit makes sense for them. If that’s not you, just burn the points.

I'm sure with 4 points you can pull a pretty decent unit, I'm new to WY and have 0 points and can't seem to find draw odds per points like CO has for units here for antelope and deer. I personally would use what I had unless there's an amazing unit worth saving up another year or two for somewhere that's just that much better. Depends on if you are willing to hold off for this year or want to get out and get one for the meat. Could also buy a point and go get a doe/fawn tag if you just want the meat.
If you live here and can get residdnt tags, then your deer and pronghorn points are useless, no points on those for residents.

Wife and I both ate 4 elk points when we moved. Was a good trade 😁

Last edited:
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back