Caribou Gear

Wyoming 2021

Take this advise for what its worth....

I have hunted all scenarios, a premium max points tag, 0-2 point tags, and mid tier tags.

The premium is just as advertised. Low hunting pressure, higher percentage of quality animals, generally ample amounts of public land. My hunt I scouted 3 bucks I thought would make B&C. I looked at literally hundreds of great antelope that would have scored in the low to high 70's. I hunted all of archery season chasing those 3 bucks and saw 0 other hunters. Opening morning of rifle I had my number 2 & 3 buck standing in the same group at daylight. I shot No. 3 as he just had that look I wanted. Scored 84 5/8". Amazingly fun hunt, wish I could do it again but would never likely draw again in my lifetime.

Easy to draw tag. Very crowded, limited public land, tough to navigate between private and public, with very high competition for animals. Animals running around like pinball between people shooting at them, very stressful hunting environment. Bullets bouncing around everywhere. Felt very fortunate to turn up a good buck (upper 70's right place right time) with the pressure, most guys shoot the first legal buck they see. Antelope running to and from private. CHAOS. Could be a better hunt if you had access on good private. Public hunting gets tough when the guys on private tag out.

Mid tier hunt. Decent population of antelope, fair amount of public ground, pressure seemed manageable. Felt like I could shop a little for a decent buck without the masses running me over to get to them, especially after the first couple of days. Killed an upper 70's buck. A mix of the two other hunts.

The question being what experience do you want out of the hunt because while you could still potentially kill a good antelope on any hunt, there are obvious differences in hunting pressure and human stupidity running around. The ratio of good bucks to hunters obviously increases as the hunting pressure decreases with points being involved. I would suggest the mid tier type (4-7 points) hunt for decent trophy potential, unless you're just set on banging some antelope for the freezer as often as possible, then it would be a low end hunt. If your looking for a once in a lifetime chance to kill a great one, I would save for a high end point hunt. You are never guaranteed a trophy animal on any of the hunts, a lot of factors can shape that over time or during the hunt.

The simile factor: all are fun but some are more fun than others

0-2 points = kids birthday party at Chucky Cheese's
0-2 points w/ private= kids birthday party at Chucky Cheese's but you have your own private room.
4-7 points = Private family vacation in a great location
max points = Vacation without kids/ clothing optional

An explanation I can understand...
I think I have enough for the clothing optional vacation (10). Now I need to decide if I want to take it by myself or invite my hunting partner that never bothered to purchase a point in all the years I was reminding him, on a family vacation instead...

Last edited:
Take this advise for what its worth....

I have hunted all scenarios, a premium max points tag, 0-2 point tags, and mid tier tags.

The premium is just as advertised. Low hunting pressure, higher percentage of quality animals, generally ample amounts of public land. My hunt I scouted 3 bucks I thought would make B&C. I looked at literally hundreds of great antelope that would have scored in the low to high 70's. I hunted all of archery season chasing those 3 bucks and saw 0 other hunters. Opening morning of rifle I had my number 2 & 3 buck standing in the same group at daylight. I shot No. 3 as he just had that look I wanted. Scored 84 5/8". Amazingly fun hunt, wish I could do it again but would never likely draw again in my lifetime.

Easy to draw tag. Very crowded, limited public land, tough to navigate between private and public, with very high competition for animals. Animals running around like pinball between people shooting at them, very stressful hunting environment. Bullets bouncing around everywhere. Felt very fortunate to turn up a good buck (upper 70's right place right time) with the pressure, most guys shoot the first legal buck they see. Antelope running to and from private. CHAOS. Could be a better hunt if you had access on good private. Public hunting gets tough when the guys on private tag out.

Mid tier hunt. Decent population of antelope, fair amount of public ground, pressure seemed manageable. Felt like I could shop a little for a decent buck without the masses running me over to get to them, especially after the first couple of days. Killed an upper 70's buck. A mix of the two other hunts.

The question being what experience do you want out of the hunt because while you could still potentially kill a good antelope on any hunt, there are obvious differences in hunting pressure and human stupidity running around. The ratio of good bucks to hunters obviously increases as the hunting pressure decreases with points being involved. I would suggest the mid tier type (4-7 points) hunt for decent trophy potential, unless you're just set on banging some antelope for the freezer as often as possible, then it would be a low end hunt. If your looking for a once in a lifetime chance to kill a great one, I would save for a high end point hunt. You are never guaranteed a trophy animal on any of the hunts, a lot of factors can shape that over time or during the hunt.

The simile factor: all are fun but some are more fun than others

0-2 points = kids birthday party at Chucky Cheese's
0-2 points w/ private= kids birthday party at Chucky Cheese's but you have your own private room.
4-7 points = Private family vacation in a great location
max points = Vacation without kids/ clothing optional
Great article. My son and I have 5 points each and are looking to draw for our first hunt ever. It’s a looonnnnggg drive out there. I’m getting to old to wait so need to go for it. Otherwise I may never get the chance. I do have quite a bit of time to hunt so maybe that will help. Need to determine what area to try for based on public access and points. Maybe we should wait another year or so but I’m in my mid sixties but in good shape. Any tips would be great for draw areas. Thanks

Great article. My son and I have 5 points each and are looking to draw for our first hunt ever. It’s a looonnnnggg drive out there. I’m getting to old to wait so need to go for it. Otherwise I may never get the chance. I do have quite a bit of time to hunt so maybe that will help. Need to determine what area to try for based on public access and points. Maybe we should wait another year or so but I’m in my mid sixties but in good shape. Any tips would be great for draw areas. Thanks
5 pts you’ll do just fine wherever you go

Wyoming Fish and Game website has all the info and tools you need. All you need to do is spend some time to analyze all the data and units. After you finalize your decision, you can ask question about specific units and members here might help you.

An explanation I can understand...
I think I have enough for the clothing optional vacation (10). Now I need to decide if I want to take it by myself or invite my hunting partner that never bothered to purchase a point in all the years I was reminding him, on a family vacation instead...
Get him a doe tag. I’m in the same situation.

I like unit 103 fair amount of public accesss, also knock on some doors there still is private to be had if you work at it and some pretty good goats there too

I'm sitting on three and my girlfriend has two. I think we'll try and draw starting next year.

Really just want a unit with more than a postage stamp of public in it. We can wake up earlier and walk farther from the truck to beat the crowds, just as long as we have a bit of room to roam 😈

I have had several successful and unsuccessful doe antelope hunts in NW CO. I have also had several successful doe antelope hunts in Wyoming all on private land. My wife and I have always paid a trespass fee on the few ranches that have agreed to let us hunt. Within the last four years I have written close to 40 letters to ranch managers mostly in Units 109 and 15 near Sheridan to hunt doe, including all the words re respecting their property, gates, animals etc... I received maybe five replies...that's it! Three managers either emailed me or phoned me with an OK to hunt doe for a modest fee, but only after the buck hunts are over. The remaining ranch managers did not answer my letter. One ranch owner said he will never give one permission if someone knocks on his door during the season. I do believe that the larger ranches are contracted with an outfitter. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I have found it extremely hard to gain access as a DIY doe hunt on private property via a ranch owner or manager. Due to the abundance of antelope in WY, we will just keep trying. There is quite a bit of public land in Unit 15, but most of that land is not irrigated nor has creek drainage but plenty of space to roam away from other hunters. The big question is...will the antelope be there.

I just talked with a biologist in SE WY and he said the recent snowstorm really did a number on herds. Sounds like they are looking at cutting back license numbers in a lot of units.

I just talked with a biologist in SE WY and he said the recent snowstorm really did a number on herds. Sounds like they are looking at cutting back license numbers in a lot of units.
The herds last year in SE Wyoming were way down, and have been declining for the last 5 years. Should have been reductions sooner.

Last edited:
i've found the easiest way to acquire private access for doe hunting (pronghorn or deer) in wyoming is to start with the warden. at least where i hunt he always has a half dozen landowners that have already reached out to him that ask him to forward doe hunters their way.

definitely depends on the area, e.g. natrona county and carbon county are two different beasts

6 30 am. Coffee shop. A couple of weeks after the season opens...or hardware store.

Coffee shop or hardware store may work if you're real lucky and the timing is just right. If a rancher, both men and women, meet you eye to eye and immediately knows your not going to destroy the property and respect the land, then that may open the door to hunting the ranch. In Wyoming, as in most places, being courteous and polite goes a long way. Offering to pay a trespass fee is attractive to supplement the rancher's income and that seems to be where this is all heading. The problem is who has time to hang out at the hardware store or drink coffee without acting too foolish. I did exactly that in the hardware store in Saratoga and after a couple minutes of "hanging" the lady at the counter, I know, was wondering what I was doing. Wyoming Fish and Game used to provide lists of ranches that offered hunting does, but no longer provide that. From all my previous letters sent to ranches in the Sheridan area to hunt doe antelope offering to pay a trespass fee, the few that have responded say the ranch is leased to an outfitter. Good luck everyone on your access adventure.

Coffee shop or hardware store may work if you're real lucky and the timing is just right. If a rancher, both men and women, meet you eye to eye and immediately knows your not going to destroy the property and respect the land, then that may open the door to hunting the ranch. In Wyoming, as in most places, being courteous and polite goes a long way. Offering to pay a trespass fee is attractive to supplement the rancher's income and that seems to be where this is all heading. The problem is who has time to hang out at the hardware store or drink coffee without acting too foolish. I did exactly that in the hardware store in Saratoga and after a couple minutes of "hanging" the lady at the counter, I know, was wondering what I was doing. Wyoming Fish and Game used to provide lists of ranches that offered hunting does, but no longer provide that. From all my previous letters sent to ranches in the Sheridan area to hunt doe antelope offering to pay a trespass fee, the few that have responded say the ranch is leased to an outfitter. Good luck everyone on your access adventure.
Yep. I've used that in another unit in southeast Wy. But I knew when the ranchers would show up each morning from a tip at the donut store. I asked them where all the ranchers gather to meet for breakfast. Talking to a biologist about 10 years ago, he told me the northeast was the toughest region to get access as many ranches were leased and the others didn't want hunters on their property. I've avoided that area since then. Then again, I don't hunt until later in October when the pressure is off. Some units we've hunted we are literally the only ones in that unit hunting pronghorn. Some ranchers are more amenable to access when no one is hunting and the pronghorn are eating all their winter wheat.

Well everybody, I feel like I have now put myself in an odd spot in the Wyoming draw. I originally planned on burning my points every 1-2 years on lesser “quality” units. But I have had some things come up and now I’m sitting with 4 points. I understand I can draw a couple of decent hunts with where I’m at in the point game. If you were in my shoes would you burn the points or continue to gain points until you’re let’s just say in that 8 + point range?
Dont be afraid to buy the "special tag" in 2020 i did with only 2 points and got into a primo public land unit. A few years back i burned 6 on another beauty of a public land unit. A75. IM SITTIMG WITH 0 POINTS THIS YEAR AND HAVE TO TRY FOR ONE OF THOSE UNITS WHETE SPACE IS HARD TO FIND.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back