Caribou Gear

Wyo Pronghorn rut and weather

Baerman

Questions first:
1) Will dominant pronghorn bucks be with the herds around Oct. 1st?
2) Will herd bucks be with the herd after Oct. 15?
3) Does migration of effect on Unit 90-1, good or bad?

I have a dilema that I'm hoping some of you can weigh in on. I have a pronghorn buck tag for unit 90. Was planning all along to go this coming weekend because the first ten days of Oct. are between archery and rifle seasons in Idaho. I was planning on hunting Friday-Sunday and taking my 5 yr old son with me to be a part of the hunt.

Now the weather forecast is calling for a cold front and rain on Friday and Saturday. Not ideal to access the desert and not ideal for me to ask my boy to make a stalk with me in the rain if we find a decent buck.

I'm trying to decide if I should move my hunt back one week and give up on the rifle deer opener in Idaho or push it back two weeks and go to Wyo Oct. 16-18. I know the later into Oct. we get the more likely Wyo will get moisture. As we get away from the rut, will the larger bucks still be with the herd or will they move off into their hidey holes and be harder to find?

Thanks for any who can provide input!

Questions first:
1) Will dominant pronghorn bucks be with the herds around Oct. 1st?
2) Will herd bucks be with the herd after Oct. 15?
3) Does migration of effect on Unit 90-1, good or bad?

I have a dilema that I'm hoping some of you can weigh in on. I have a pronghorn buck tag for unit 90. Was planning all along to go this coming weekend because the first ten days of Oct. are between archery and rifle seasons in Idaho. I was planning on hunting Friday-Sunday and taking my 5 yr old son with me to be a part of the hunt.

Now the weather forecast is calling for a cold front and rain on Friday and Saturday. Not ideal to access the desert and not ideal for me to ask my boy to make a stalk with me in the rain if we find a decent buck.

I'm trying to decide if I should move my hunt back one week and give up on the rifle deer opener in Idaho or push it back two weeks and go to Wyo Oct. 16-18. I know the later into Oct. we get the more likely Wyo will get moisture. As we get away from the rut, will the larger bucks still be with the herd or will they move off into their hidey holes and be harder to find?

Thanks for any who can provide input!

I was out chasing chickens this weekend in 90 and the antelope are quite rutty right now. Some good bucks to be had. This weekend should provide some good action.

Thanks for signing on and providing some information! That is a rare first post. The information is greatly appreciated!!!

I think there are positives to hunting the rut, but negatives as well.

During the rut, the dominant bucks will have large groups of does with them. All these extra eyes and skittish instincts can be hard to overcome when stalking the buck. The does keep them on the move. On the other hand, single roaming bucks can be easier to kill because they are focused on finding hot does and not much else.

In October, the bucks get grouped up which has its benefits as well. You can easily compare bucks to each other which makes judging easier in my opinion, and judging antelope is no easy task. I have also found them to be more approachable in October because they are calmer and the does are not around.

A lot of people hunt later in the season simply for the ease of comparing bucks and avoiding the crowds.

Remember dominant doesn't equal biggest rack, just most aggressive/toughest. My buck last year was only with 3 does and my buddies was the dominant buck in a herd of 30 that included 7 bucks. The herd buck worked his @$$ of running away subordinates and herding up does. Mine laid in a creekbed with the only does he could find. I guess mine was a lover not a fighter.

antelope

Once into October (especially after the first big snow) antelope in Wyo tend to start herding up. Most years bucks are still rutting into mid October but once it snows the rut can slow and they often herd up It's a little easier finding bucks that may have been scattered in the hills but it can be a lot tougher stalking when there are so many eyes watching. I've seen herds of 20 to well over 100 at a time in mid Oct. I really don't think dominance is too big of a deal once herded up. It can be a little easier stalking bucks when their mind is on the rut rather than survival. Unfortunately I don't know the specifics about migration in your unit but that is also a consideration once it snows.

Hey Baerman,
My son and I also have unit 90 buck tags and are trying to decide on leaving this Friday or next. We are watching the weather but unfortunately work related time off might be the factor.
I'm not in a position to answer your questions about rut and herd, but I will be happy to give an after action report of our hunt.

We are hunting the type 1 area east of hwy 191, are you type 1 or 2?

Hey Baerman,
My son and I also have unit 90 buck tags and are trying to decide on leaving this Friday or next. We are watching the weather but unfortunately work related time off might be the factor.
I'm not in a position to answer your questions about rut and herd, but I will be happy to give an after action report of our hunt.

We are hunting the type 1 area east of hwy 191, are you type 1 or 2?

I have type 1 also. Good luck and maybe we will see you down there. I am driving a black nissan titan with idaho elk plates. Let me know if you don't make it and I can give you a report. Are you camping out?

I haven't got the final word from work, but it looks like we will be heading out late next week. Should be in the unit by Friday (9th) afternoon. We have four days to hunt. Would like to leave by Tuesday.

As far as camping we will likely be in a motel in Pinedale or maybe find a place in Boulder or Farson. We will have a tent and bags for emergency, but we are looking at this as "gentlemen's" hunt, no sleeping on the ground and no zero dark thirty alarms.

I will keep you posted and I'm happy to share some info. We plan on covering a lot of ground the first day or two before we make a decision on what bucks we would like to go after.

I've talked to a few local guys and the consensus is we should have quit a few bucks to look over. This is a brand new area for us.

Best of luck and if you see a guy and his teenage son stuck in the mud on some desolate road, that's prolly us.

I haven't got the final word from work, but it looks like we will be heading out late next week. Should be in the unit by Friday (9th) afternoon. We have four days to hunt. Would like to leave by Tuesday.

As far as camping we will likely be in a motel in Pinedale or maybe find a place in Boulder or Farson. We will have a tent and bags for emergency, but we are looking at this as "gentlemen's" hunt, no sleeping on the ground and no zero dark thirty alarms.

I will keep you posted and I'm happy to share some info. We plan on covering a lot of ground the first day or two before we make a decision on what bucks we would like to go after.

I've talked to a few local guys and the consensus is we should have quit a few bucks to look over. This is a brand new area for us.

Best of luck and if you see a guy and his teenage son stuck in the mud on some desolate road, that's prolly us.

PM Sent

90-1 gets less influx of migrating bucks than 90-2 in my experience, but there will be plenty there. They will quite surely be bunching up by mid-Oct. As long as you can get around, I think it's a great time to hunt. I'll be doing the same in a unit further south. I'm not really willing to spend more than a day or two hunting antelope personally, just too many other things I enjoy hunting more. Good luck and have fun!

90-1 gets less influx of migrating bucks than 90-2 in my experience, but there will be plenty there. They will quite surely be bunching up by mid-Oct. As long as you can get around, I think it's a great time to hunt. I'll be doing the same in a unit further south. I'm not really willing to spend more than a day or two hunting antelope personally, just too many other things I enjoy hunting more. Good luck and have fun!

I somewhat feel the same way as you. This is my first pronghorn buck tag too though and I think they make the best shoulder mounts so fingers crossed I can find a mid 70's or better buck.

Thanks for the information on migration. I think I'm going this weekend and if it's a bust I'll be going back Oct. 16th.

Not sure about your unit, but the one buck tag I've had in WY I wish I would have had more time. We had 3 tags to fill in 4 days, and I think we did well.

But if you have 3 full days (or more) to hunt, you'll be stoked. The amount of antelope over there is incredible, and you can never look over enough bucks. I can't wait until I get enough points to go back!

My wife and I just hunted 90-2 on opening day scouted 1.5 days only saw a few good bucks if I where to hunt it again I would wait for the animals to move in or go opening day. Due to lack of numbers we found one she liked and she harvested it opening morning. Scored 78 2/8. Good luck guys would love to hear your feeling on the hunt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back