Wyo NR with 6 points

bkondeff

Anyone willing to share opinions on where to use points on a rifle bull hunt in 2015?

I have 11 seasons in Idaho, but have yet to take a 6pt worthy of a mount, which is what I would like to shoot for. 300" or unique is mount worthy at this point.

I am not young but can hike, I have access to and reasonable experience with horses, though mostly for packing out elk.

I would prefer a hunt slightly harder if it provides better opportunity, though my dream is to shoot an elk and load it whole some day:D

I live is SW Idaho, but could commit a few short scouting trips if I can figure where to draw.

I think if I can draw, I would then start to go NR General every other year or so, maybe in the western units and get to know an area if possible, but don't want to put 6 years worth of points into a 1pt or less draw if there is actually somewhere I can get a better opportunity. I am willing to pay for the Special Draw if it will help.

Thanks

PS I would be happy to trade PM's on info in Idaho if that would help.

Last edited:
Idaho is a great elk state. I don't think going out of state is going to up your odds for a better bull any, unless you go private or the really hard to draw units. Maybe the WY guys can chime in, but I don't think you are even close to a premium tag with only 6 points. Save your money, buy a res tag, and scout like a mad man.

It sounds like you may have already found a spot that holds some elk. I would go back to what you know and adjust your tactics to hunt big bulls. Are you seeing mostly cows and smaller bulls? If so, I would do some research on what mature bulls do post rut. Talk with a bio, read up on it. Adjust your tactics a bit a you may get what your looking for.

Trust me, I am not letting off the gas here in I'd, I am just trying to double down on my opportunities. So your opinion is that 6 pts in Wy is not enough to get a hunt with any quality Bulls?

I'm in the same boat. All the research I've done shows that that's enough points to do the bighorns units, but not much else other than a few units with really tricky access.

The bighorn units sound like a blast if you're in good shape. I think I'm holding on a little longer in hopes that some of the units with thicker air start dropping into that point range.

You say you are willing to pay the Special Draw price, so the number of units you can draw with six points would cover many really good units. A quick glance at the WY draw odds on the G&F website will show you which units are more coveted (harder to draw), usually due to the combination of public access and quality elk. Look at any of those, and the odds are, you will be able to find a 300" bull.

Good luck.

You should really take a look at eastmans dec/jan issue on Wy elk units and explanation of each.If you can get your hands on an issue I would if I were you.Probably over 70% of the le units can be drawn with your points in special draw.And probably half of them in regular draw.I know people on here don't like the eastmans much but they have some good imfo

I am new to posting so here goes.....
Look at unit 56 outside of Cody. I believe it takes 8 pts to draw. It's a late season hunt. I hunted unit 121 last year (2013) which was the next unit. Saw some tremendous bulls. I needed 3 - 4 more seconds for a shot at a huge 6 pt bull. As the saying goes, by the time I pulled the gun up, he'd already been there and was gone. Good luck.

Thanks guys. I have a folder with all the draw odd's for Reg and Special, Maps, 2013/2014 MRS, and a week of internet scouting.

May have to put a list on little pieces of paper and put them in a hat. No single unit seems to be the answer yet. I'll see if I can find a 2014/2015 MRS and see if that helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back