MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

WYBHA donates to accessyes

Glad to see you trust the state to manage walk in hunting land access for hunters. It's a great resource for hunters in WY. Somewhat ironic that you get all fired up when anyone talks about states managing federal land and how terrible they are at it but OTOH you give money to states to open up land for hunting. LOL. I guess now we know what you really think.

Really no reply is warranted with the thousand words that JR posted with his picture, but just to clarify.

The State doesn't make the decisions on the HMA/WIA, the landowners do. The WGFD follows the directives and wishes of the landowners, period. What I do prefer about the WY program over MT's is that the WYGFD gets involved with providing the signs, enforcement (which is a huge deal to landowners and why many enroll in AccessYes over leasing to an outfitter), and dealing with the permission slips, etc.

This has absolutely nothing to do with land management, nothing. Its about access to private lands that would otherwise be unavailable, as well as providing some additional access to surrounding public lands, to both NR and R hunters and anglers. The perfect thing for a great organization like WYBHA to support...as well as the hunting public. Precisely why I donate my personal funds to it...its a great program.

Transferring complete management control of Federal Lands to states that have proven they cant be trusted to manage it correctly, in any way, shape or form is a completely different topic...please see JR's post again.

The topic of this thread is to show support for a great program...and has zero to do with public lands management or the transfer of Federal Public Lands to the States.

Stick to the topic or start another thread.

The State doesn't make the decisions on the HMA/WIA, the landowners do. The WGFD follows the directives and wishes of the landowners, period. What I do prefer about the WY program over MT's is that the WYGFD gets involved with providing the signs, enforcement (which is a huge deal to landowners and why many enroll in AccessYes over leasing to an outfitter), and dealing with the permission slips, etc.

Buzz,

I don't mean to sidetrack this, but can you expand on what you see as differences between MT and WY? There are a number of BMAs in MT where the signage, reservations and permission slips are handled by FWP employees, and those BMAs are routinely patrolled by wardens.

Glad to see you trust the state to manage walk in hunting land access for hunters. It's a great resource for hunters in WY. Somewhat ironic that you get all fired up when anyone talks about states managing federal land and how terrible they are at it but OTOH you give money to states to open up land for hunting. LOL. I guess now we know what you really think.

Don't you need to tie this back to the disparity between private, state, and federal grazing lease rates? After all, that's what shows good management.

Buzz,

I don't mean to sidetrack this, but can you expand on what you see as differences between MT and WY? There are a number of BMAs in MT where the signage, reservations and permission slips are handled by FWP employees, and those BMAs are routinely patrolled by wardens.

Yes, from what I remember with Montanas program, and from what I'm hearing from people in MT...some of the better ranches are "filling" up with friends and family when the owners are the ones issuing the permits. Meaning the MTFWP is paying them through BMP to only allow their friends and family hunt.

Wyoming handles all the permission slips on-line. The permission slips are either: first come first serve, applied for if the landowners want to limit the number of people during a given time period, or you have to enter a random draw to be issued a permission slip. These are all handled by the WYGF to ensure that everyone, not just the landowners selection of hunters, get an equal chance at a tag. There is nothing stopping the landowner from signing off for additional hunters if they choose. If they want to allow their neighbor to hunt, they just give them written permission.

How the payments/rates are decided, are also different in Wyoming than Montana.

I'm a fan of both programs, both do essentially the same thing.

Yes, from what I remember with Montanas program, and from what I'm hearing from people in MT...some of the better ranches are "filling" up with friends and family when the owners are the ones issuing the permits. Meaning the MTFWP is paying them through BMP to only allow their friends and family hunt.

That has certainly happened, and I'm sure still is. Some of the ranches in HD445 do a call in reservation on a certain date, and fill the entire season in a matter of hours.

I'm a big fan of online reservations. It sure makes life easier as a hunter.

Hey Buzz, I like the idea of these programs and I've used them more than once. Unfortunately my experiences here are they get hammered for the first few days and then there's not much left. I've heard some of the money comes from the Federal Government(Pittman Robertson) which makes me wonder how states like North Dakota can do crappy things like prevent nonresidents from hunting on them?

http://gf.nd.gov/hunting/private-land-open-sportsmen/faq#14
Are nonresident hunters allowed to use PLOTS?

Yes, however, special restrictions apply. In accordance with NDCC 20.1-08-04.9, nonresidents are prohibited from hunting for the first seven days of the pheasant season on land owned by the Game and Fish Deparatment, or private land enrolled by the Department for the purposes of hunting (PLOTS), or on land for which the department pays in lieu of tax payments.

Hey Buzz, I like the idea of these programs and I've used them more than once. Unfortunately my experiences here are they get hammered for the first few days and then there's not much left. I've heard some of the money comes from the Federal Government(Pittman Robertson) which makes me wonder how states like North Dakota can do crappy things like prevent nonresidents from hunting on them?

http://gf.nd.gov/hunting/private-land-open-sportsmen/faq#14
Are nonresident hunters allowed to use PLOTS?

Yes, however, special restrictions apply. In accordance with NDCC 20.1-08-04.9, nonresidents are prohibited from hunting for the first seven days of the pheasant season on land owned by the Game and Fish Deparatment, or private land enrolled by the Department for the purposes of hunting (PLOTS), or on land for which the department pays in lieu of tax payments.

The states get so much money from Pittman Robertson based on licenses sold in that state. The states pretty well have complete jurisdiction over most everything within their boundaries, other than migratory birds. They work with the Feds on those setting the various season dates, bag limits, etc. based on USFWS data along with their own as far as resident birds that never leave the state. In MI, for example, we have an early season along with a late month long season on resident geese to curb their numbers because of the problems they cause. I have hunted pheasant in ND for quite a few years and just skip the first week because of the NR restrictions of not hunting pretty much anything but private property that first week. With a good dog even the places that get hit hard have done me well over the years. I missed last year because my DD died suddenly in July, but the year before that two of us were only one shy of our possession limit in less than 4 full days of hunting and it was all on public land.

Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back