Caribou Gear Tarp

WY wolf plan - the saga continues

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Hopefully this thread will not take the same turns the last one did that was related to the Wyoming wolf management plan.

http://billingsgazette.com/news/sta...cle_373858e6-61ec-5097-ba24-2685e6ea2d3f.html

Wyoming did what the attorneys thought would satisfy the judge by making a binding law/regulation of their commitment to the USFWS to keep at least 10 breeding pairs and 100 wolves. This afternoon, the judge rejected the effort by WY.

This effectively halts the wolf hunts in Wyoming this year. I suspect WY will appeal, as they feel they have corrected the issue stated by the judge as the reason for suspension of the WY plan. Maybe they did not correct it in the manner the judge requested. Maybe they did not correct it all. Maybe the judge is fed up with Wyoming and nothing they do will satisfy her. Maybe ......

Point being, if Wyoming does not appeal or if they do appeal and it is rejected, it is back to the drawing board for Wyoming and their wolf plan. Given the time required to write and adopt a new plan, and then to go through another round of court challenges, I expect Wyoming will appeal the judge's decision. What the result will be, who knows.

In the mean time, no wolf hunting in Wyoming.

Even though the people advising WY hammered me and others for the manner in which MT and ID solved the issue, I still wish it was a different outcome. I'm flat out tired of it and the energy it extracts. I wish the entire debacle was behind us. It is frustrating to see this issue continue to be litigated and overturned time and time again, putting a bad light on hunters and wolf hunting.

I will be interested to read the judge's findings and reasons for rejecting Wyoming's change. And, to hear what the Wyoming strategy will be.

:( - (Big sigh of exasperation.)

I guess they need to re write the plan without the illegal rule. That's what some of us claimed would happen from the onset of this plan.

It's a shame this has happened, because Wyoming would have been able to go to their predator zone as we speak if they had capitulated this years ago.

We all would be over the 5 years of probation periods that are in the recovery plans.

Nevada has designated wolves as varmints even though we don't have any here YET. They have been
seen within 15 miles of our northern border in Idaho.
This means they can be shot on sight, no season, no limit, no license needed.

Nevada has designated wolves as varmints even though we don't have any here YET. They have been
seen within 15 miles of our northern border in Idaho.
This means they can be shot on sight, no season, no limit, no license needed.

Nevada isn't part of the Northern Rockies DPS and there are no plans to reintroduce, so it's comparing apples to orangutans.

Several years ago there was growing frequency with wolf sightings and a few wandering loners in Utah. Since hunting in WY started; nothing! Can't speak for CO experience but WY pretty much stopped the southern expansion.

Thank you WY and good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnbighunter
Back