WY Wildneress Guide Requirement

skeeterforme

I've been looking online trying to find a map of which federal lands you are required to have a guide or WY resident on. Does anyone have a link to one by chance?

Thanks

Paul

Hunting wilderness is over-rated in Wyoming...cant take an atv, game cart, or 4 wheel drive in there anyway.

If you are from out of state and have hunted backcountry for 50 years you cant be safe in a WY Wilderness, but if you are 16 and never have left the city limits of Cheyenne you can go unguided and be just fine. Best be called the "Outfitter Protection Law". And I thought those "independent, self reliant wyoming cowboy types" thought it was un American to be subsidized!!

everytime this topic comes up i wonder, does anyone actually police this law?

I have been checked every single year in the field,and my truck and trailer license has been turned in and we are stopped at every check station and told where we have been hunting and for how long.. And have to produce our resident guide in person.

everytime this topic comes up i wonder, does anyone actually police this law?

I have been checked as well when hunting wilderness areas as a non-resident. Only time I've ever encountered a game warden in Wyoming.

The area I hunt has 2 different outfitters that hunt it pretty hard and typically we use my pickup that has Texas plates so I'm sure that probably has something to do with it.

Last edited:
Are one or both of you saying that you have actually been up in a wilderness area itself and had a Warden walkin or ride in on a horse to check you? If they haven't actually witnessed you in person in the wilderness there isn't a leg they could stand on, as just asking you where you hunted when you're on the road or at a trailhead woudn't hold up in a court of law unless you were dumb enough to say that you violated the statute. IMHO it's the lamest statute in the Wyoming F&G codebook!!!

Here is my two sense on the thing.

I don't like the law, but no one has gotten up in arms enough to fight it. I am not a fan of outfitters, and don't like it when I run into them in an area I haven't ever seen them before. They have a right to make their money, but laws that force NRs to spend money with them aren't good policy by any stretch. Fortunate thing for you is that Wy has a bunch of great hunting outside of the wilderness areas.

If you are thinking of hunting the wilderness area without a guide, I would advise you not to. Trailheads do get checked often, and I have been checked by wardens on horseback, and for that matter on foot. In fact that warden was the only guy I ever saw in my area last year.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
See65
Back