WY wilderness help

Blackcats06

Are there services in Wyoming that will "guide" a non-resident hunter in wyoming so one can go into the wilderness. Looking for something similar to new mexico where you have to be a guide for 2 days then you can hunt by yourself for the rest of the hunt. I understand in wy you have to be with them all the time but looking for somethin similar and what the cost, if any, it would be. Thanks

Interesting question. I’m no expect but believe you’ll either need to hire a professional outfitter or have a resident take you as a ‘guide’. There’s no cost for the resident option but believe they need to sign up at WY Fish and Game.

Are there services in Wyoming that will "guide" a non-resident hunter in wyoming so one can go into the wilderness. Looking for something similar to new mexico where you have to be a guide for 2 days then you can hunt by yourself for the rest of the hunt. I understand in wy you have to be with them all the time but looking for somethin similar and what the cost, if any, it would be. Thanks
Two options: Hire registered guide to accompany you for the duration of the hunt or have a registered Wyoming resident accompany you for the duration of your hunt.

Wilderness is quite dangerous for a non-resident hunter so the law is for your protection.

On the other hand, Wyoming blatantly hates nonresidents which are not hunting including fisherman and hikers and birders and plein aire oil painters since Wyoming allows those bastards to enter wilderness unaccompanied. Such hatred is a bad look Wyoming!!!

Yes there is. Its called making a friend. Only cost is your time, energy and attitude. Has worked well for some. Not so much for others. Best of luck to you.

1. What tag do you have? If not general elk, read no farther.

2. Do you have a wilderness honey hole full of 6 pt bools (rifle season - no real grown up has time for archery hunting)?

3. Do you have pack animals?

4. Are you fun to be around?

If you said yes to all of these….🤔

Last edited:
1. What tag do you have? If not general elk, read no farther. General elk

2. Do you have a wilderness honey hole full of 6 pt bools (rifle season - no real grown up has time for archery hunting)? Archery

3. Do you have pack animals? No

4. Are you fun to be around? No

Guess Im going to be diy by the wilderness line…. Its not as dangerous as if I were to cross the imaginary line by 500’ - cause THAT’S where the wolves, griz, and bad weather are found.

Guess Im going to be diy by the wilderness line…. Its not as dangerous as if I were to cross the imaginary line by 500’ - cause THAT’S where the wolves, griz, and bad weather are found.
Thank you for your interest in the madtom wilderness guide program. We regret to inform you that you were not selected for the 2023 wilderness resident guide elk hunt. Should your credentials improve in the future, we encourage you to apply again.

Hey Moserkr, I'll be doing the same, walking that line, and looking for a resident guide before then. I haven't found it yet, but there ought to be posts in FB or Craigslist, etc, of WY resident guides looking to share the adventure.

1. What tag do you have? If not general elk, read no farther.

2. Do you have a wilderness honey hole full of 6 pt bools (rifle season - no real grown up has time for archery hunting)?

3. Do you have pack animals?

4. Are you fun to be around?

It’s like a job interview.

madtom: “Tell me of a time where you had to resolve conflict while in the field”.

Literally anyone on HT: “RIGHT IN THE FUGGIN HEAD”.

Hey Moserkr, I'll be doing the same, walking that line, and looking for a resident guide before then. I haven't found it yet, but there ought to be posts in FB or Craigslist, etc, of WY resident guides looking to share the adventure.
Welcome Alppla,

You should hit up @madtom , he has a wilderness guide program you can apply for!! Details above in his previous post.

What most of WY wilderness is like:
View attachment 286496
Imagine all the elk grazing in those rocks…. I think I see one!

Yes there is. Its called making a friend. Only cost is your time, energy and attitude. Has worked well for some. Not so much for others. Best of luck to you.
Wyoming wilderness is scary. You don't want to know what happens to non-residents who sneak in there to hunt. If the grizzlies, wolves, and cats don't get the saquatches will.

Also please remember all of the elk, deer, and antelope are south of Wyoming in Colorado. Anything you here differently is the work of the disinformation unit of the Wyoming Game and Fish Revenue division.
What some NR's think WY wilderness is like:
View attachment 286494

What most of WY wilderness is like:
View attachment 286496
Wyoming wilderness is scary. You don't want to know what happens to non-residents who sneak in there to hunt. If the grizzlies, wolves, cats, and locals don't get you the sasquatches will.

Also please remember all of the elk, deer, and antelope are south of Wyoming in Colorado. Anything you here differently is the work of the disinformation unit of the Wyoming Game and Fish Revenue division.

Anyone know of any residents willing to go archery hunting in the wilderness in 2024? I'd be more than happy to pay to stay in their "ABnB" until the hunt started.

Back