WY Wilderness Rule ?

Snowy,

Your are probably right. When I hunted in the wilderness there I only saw 1 hunter why was not with a guide & he was a resident. We saw quite a few riding around on there atvs that had not seen an elk. First morning we went less then a mile into the wilderness and saw 3 branch bulls. I do not believe that if they repealed the outfitter welfare law that it would effect there bottom line at all. Most hunters simply will not go to the extra effort to hunt the wilderness.

Snowy,

Your are probably right. When I hunted in the wilderness there I only saw 1 hunter why was not with a guide & he was a resident. We saw quite a few riding around on there atvs that had not seen an elk. First morning we went less then a mile into the wilderness and saw 3 branch bulls. I do not believe that if they repealed the outfitter welfare law that it would effect there bottom line at all. Most hunters simply will not go to the extra effort to hunt the wilderness.

Are you confusing the wilderness with national forests? Atvs are not permitted in the designated wilderness areas.

Not much in life is fair. WY and the wilderness rule gives me less heartburn than UT handing over 200 tags to SFW or NM curtailing tags for non-residents in the non-guided pool. Several states do not have a separate pool of tags guaranteed for NR applicants. CA has "up to 1 NR tag" for some species. ID and OR are single digit % for NR allocation on many species. Several states require you to buy a license to apply. Several require tag money as you apply even when odds are well under 50% you will draw a tag. Some states set tag numbers after the application period closes. Some wait weeks to announce draw results. Some allow you to turn a tag in for a refund and some don't. Some have points systems.

Annoying? Yep. Is it easy to get up to speed on hunting opportunities in the West? Nope. Every year there are posts from Easterners bewildered or blissfully ignorant asking things like which state should they apply to draw a sheep tag or what is the best trophy deer unit to hunt in a state that offers virtually no tags beyond max point pool.

Boycotts rarely work, especially if no shame in what the protest highlights. You can vote with your money and encourage you to do so. You can contact your elected officials in your state, other states and at the Federal level. You can ask hunting organizations to take up this issue and then financially support those which do.

States vary on lots of issues and if you have ever moved to another state you might scratch your head when learning the new state has a different rule of u-turns, turning right on red, sales tax levels, school year start date, how late a bar can serve on Saturday, toll roads, car pool lanes, freeway speed limits, selling sporting events tickets at marked up rates, etc.

But fair? Fair is a judgement call so depends on your outlook on a matter. Rational? Often, no. Confusing? Yes. Frustrating? Yes.

This may have been said before but it bears repeating.

A WY tag does not allow anyone to hunt anywhere (or any time). You are already stuck with certain boundaries (even a general tag).

Where you can and can't hunt a particular species in a particular season is set by the G&F and has nothing to do with your right to be on public land. There are zillions of acres of non-wilderness public land one can't hunt because of G&F regulations (i.e. not the right tag).

Also consider, many hunt areas offer different types of tags that have sub-boundaries within the area and some types of tags have different boundaries at different times. Often the sub-boundaries are something like south of such-and-such creek/road or "off national forest" and sometimes they use wilderness boundaries.

I understand it is a slap-in-the-face for NRs to be singled out and subject to this over-arching extra boundary. But is it really that unheard of for a local government to give advantages to local business?

Not much in life is fair. WY and the wilderness rule gives me less heartburn than UT handing over 200 tags to SFW or NM curtailing tags for non-residents in the non-guided pool. Several states do not have a separate pool of tags guaranteed for NR applicants. CA has "up to 1 NR tag" for some species. ID and OR are single digit % for NR allocation on many species. Several states require you to buy a license to apply. Several require tag money as you apply even when odds are well under 50% you will draw a tag. Some states set tag numbers after the application period closes. Some wait weeks to announce draw results. Some allow you to turn a tag in for a refund and some don't. Some have points systems.

Annoying? Yep. Is it easy to get up to speed on hunting opportunities in the West? Nope. Every year there are posts from Easterners bewildered or blissfully ignorant asking things like which state should they apply to draw a sheep tag or what is the best trophy deer unit to hunt in a state that offers virtually no tags beyond max point pool.

Boycotts rarely work, especially if no shame in what the protest highlights. You can vote with your money and encourage you to do so. You can contact your elected officials in your state, other states and at the Federal level. You can ask hunting organizations to take up this issue and then financially support those which do.

States vary on lots of issues and if you have ever moved to another state you might scratch your head when learning the new state has a different rule of u-turns, turning right on red, sales tax levels, school year start date, how late a bar can serve on Saturday, toll roads, car pool lanes, freeway speed limits, selling sporting events tickets at marked up rates, etc.

But fair? Fair is a judgement call so depends on your outlook on a matter. Rational? Often, no. Confusing? Yes. Frustrating? Yes.

Not sure it could be said any better

That says it all really, I do not think anyone could provide a better assessment of this situation. Good job Lopehunter!

Back