Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

WY Surf & Turf

accubond

Hi all,

I just found out our party drew unit 75 antelope tags and I already had a VRBO reserved in Thermopolis for the last week in September. I am told the fishing could be good between Thermopolis and the Boysen reservoir this time of year. As the title state I am hoping for an epic (experience wise) WY surf and turf trip but know nothing of fishing out west, let alone this specific area at this specific time of year. I hunted unit 73 antelope in 2014 so I have a rough idea on the antelope quantity/quality but any info on the fishing north or south of the Boysen would be greatly appreciated.

Big fan of the Thermopolis area, hunted there twice ('17 & '18) and dying to go back. The Bighorn River was good to us. Access isn't great but still lots of places to go. We caught a fish or two at every public access and boat ramp that we tried. The weed growth/vegetation is pretty high that time of year and makes for lots of plugged up lures and hooks. Im pretty sure any further south than the wedding of the waters and you need a tribal fishing license which includes all of the Wind River canyon. Going on a float trip through the canyon seems like it would be amazing.

Edit: forgot the obligatory and sarcastic "Welcome to HT".

Jt nailed it. If on foot fish canyon, call reservation(i dont know how they issue license) gets real grassy just north of canyon about first public ramp, boat will help. Couple places in thermop i believe will do day trips, maybe rent to you. Easy float full of fish from that ramp to thermop. You will have fun!

Thank you for the feedback so far! I have a friend who has been there a couple times during the summer and he said he caught lots of trout and when the water levels were higher he said he caught a lot of walleye below the damn on the north end of Boysen. I am really looking forward to this trip as WY has never left me disappointed and the older I get the more I just love seeing/hunting/fishing new country.

Here is my unit 73 goat, he scored somewhere in the low 70's but has a cool 3rd horn growing on the crown of his nose. We didn't give this hunt/tag near the time it deserved which is why I set aside a full week for 75. I hope to find a 75"+ goat on this trip but won't be mad for 1 second if I don't.

Attachments

• 2012.jpg
    2012.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 121
Congrats. It’s a fun hunt. We drew 2 years ago, and my wife drew it this year. You certainly have to cover a lot of country to find the good ones, but it was a great trip. We spent a day fishing trout and did really well as well. Good variety of different scenery to hunt I thought.

Here is my unit 73 goat, he scored somewhere in the low 70's but has a cool 3rd horn growing on the crown of his nose. We didn't give this hunt/tag near the time it deserved which is why I set aside a full week for 75. I hope to find a 75"+ goat on this trip but won't be mad for 1 second if I don't.
Great buck.

My NM buck has a third horn, about the size of a raisin and in the exact same spot. I had been wondering if that was a thing.

Very cool “feature” on that buck

Did you see that extra horn before pulling the trigger or only once you walked up on him? Good solid goat - LOTS in that class in 73/75. With a week - so long as you know what you are looking at - 75" is totally attainable even after last couple winters which has thinned #s a bit.

Did you see that extra horn before pulling the trigger or only once you walked up on him? Good solid goat - LOTS in that class in 73/75. With a week - so long as you know what you are looking at - 75" is totally attainable even after last couple winters which has thinned #s a bit.
I wish I could say I saw that 3rd horn prior to pulling the trigger but I didn't. My inexperience had me thinking he was something special without the triceratops characteristics. Talking with locals that year they seemed disappointed in the quality and numbers that year but we had nothing to compare it to and had a great time. I shot my buck in 73 at first light on the 2nd day as I was the last of 6 to fill which gives you an idea as to how much time and effort we gave the hunt. A full week in 75 mixed in with some trout fishing is gonna be so much fun and this is a hell of a backup plan after failing to draw my CO deer tag. I wonder if the rougher country on the north end of 75 will hold some bigger/older bucks trying to escape the pressure?

That y'all shot six goats in two days tells me that most if not all the goats were spotted from the road. I daresay 90% plus of antelope are shot that way. Nothing wrong with that, but that also tells you that if you get off the road and explore, you'll find some bigger goats

That y'all shot six goats in two days tells me that most if not all the goats were spotted from the road. I daresay 90% plus of antelope are shot that way. Nothing wrong with that, but that also tells you that if you get off the road and explore, you'll find some bigger goats
You're 100% correct in your assumption. Antelope hunting, in my very small sample size, is what you choose to make it. This year I want to do this tag/hunt justice and get out of the truck more, glass more and just enjoy the landscape they call home more. I have watched the YouTube video of the antelope hunt Randy and that gentleman from AK did with the musket and I just think that is the best hunt I have ever watched, regardless of species. I really like antelope and look forward to a harder earned trophy this year.

Great trip...

That biggest pronghorn is a dandy. Just an FYI, you're going to get dinged on the prong length where the separation is between the prong and the main part of the horn. Stupid rule IMO.

Great trip...

That biggest pronghorn is a dandy. Just an FYI, you're going to get dinged on the prong length where the separation is between the prong and the main part of the horn. Stupid rule IMO.

Good to know Buzz, I had no idea any such rule existed. He has too many deductions to net over 82" after 60 days any way so it makes no difference to me. I wanted a 75" or better goat so I am still just absolutely elated!!!

Back