Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

WY Preference Points

You could only get a point by purchasing a point this year. The period to buy points was after the drawings were done. I think July to October.
I was awarded a point when I didn't draw sheep and moose. Maybe they changed it for certain species or for nonresidents, but I don't think so.

I had one preference point from 2018 and applied in 2019 but was unsuccessful in the draw.
You should have two then. As mentioned before they haven't updated it yet. The draw results for available June 20th, and the last update date us June 19th, so they haven't been updated since the draw.

I can't find where it explicitly states in the reg that you can ONLY purchase points for deer, elk, and antelope, but that is the case. it does imply it, however, see page 14 "For nonresident full price elk, full price deer and full price antelope, preference points can be accumulated by purchasing a preference point during the preference point application period as per the dates on page 4."

You can still accumulate points by submitting an app for moose and sheep - see page 13 of the wyo link

I can't find where it explicitly states in the reg that you can ONLY purchase points for deer, elk, and antelope, but that is the case. it does imply it, however, see page 14 "For nonresident full price elk, full price deer and full price antelope, preference points can be accumulated by purchasing a preference point during the preference point application period as per the dates on page 4."

You can still accumulate points by submitting an app for moose and sheep - see page 13 of the wyo link
Sure enough, looks like I am wrong. So you if you don't draw for moose or sheep, they automatically award you a point, but not for deer, elk or antelope. Has this always been the case? Nevermind, just looked. New for this year.

Sure enough, looks like I am wrong. So you if you don't draw for moose or sheep, they automatically award you a point, but not for deer, elk or antelope. Has this always been the case? Nevermind, just looked. New for this year.

this was the first year i believe

10 elk and 9 pronghorn for me. I never planned on having this many points but life happens and for a few years I wasn’t able to hunt as I had planned. Now I’m holding out for two units that will most likely be once in a lifetime tags.

You guys keep banking points. I'm hoping to turn my 3 in this year for a tag, and then start over.

I have Max for deer and antelope, daughter has max for all 3 species, wife has 9 for all 3. Brother is going to use his 6 antelope this year. He quit hunting 30 years ago and I finally convinced him to go.

Dang I didn't realize that you had to purchase a point if you didn't draw this year. Thankfully I only missed out on one antelope point but based on draw odds next year might be interesting for antelope.

If you bought in August and it shows as of June don’t you just add 1 to each species you bought?

I mean, at least it says June. I’d be concerned if totals were wrong and it didn’t cite that date.

If I recall correctly it’s always taken a while to update. Don’t remember how long...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back