Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

WY preference point deminishing returns?

lifesupport4u

I got on here to ask about WY, the same question that is being asked about CO. When is the point of deminishing returns for WY preference points?

How many points for a NR to get a premium hunt in WY? (No resident to join me in wilderness areas either and don’t plan on going guided).

I am at 4 elk points... and as a side note, 4 deer and 5 antelope.

I would say that WY elk has a pretty good mix of value for points. I'm not in the max point pool but it is getting smaller and smaller every year and most folks are starting to cycle through. Not like Colorado where there is a large group of max point holders cycling through just a few at a time.

As far as a premium hunt, you will need to define what that is. There are hunts that are going to take 10+ years to draw and some that take half that where you would actually have a better chance to shoot a trophy bull. Accessibility is a big factor when some folks are looking at applying for a tag.

I would guess that more B&C bulls are shot in Wyoming on general tags than there are shot in the Limited Entry areas. Just a guess, no idea how you would even check on it.

With the increasing price and the crappy apply 4 months before the draw there may be some dropping out of the game in Wyoming but I wouldn't count on it.

I just bought points for myself, my wife, both daughters, my brother, and my hunting partner.
The is no point of diminishing returns for Elk/Deer/Antelope.

I just mean what is the “sweet spot” where once you go past it you are chasing point creep... sounds like that may be less of an issue in WY than my home state of CO though.

My original plan was to build points for a trophy hunt in WY while hunting CO every year since I will never catch the points needed for the top elk units in CO. But more and more I am starting to think their are big bulls in many OTC and general hunt units and I just need to scout more.

It's kind of like printing money isn't it? The more that's out there, the less each one is worth.

The area I like for cow elk was a 4-point draw in 2014 for a bull tag. It is now a 8-9 point draw. Points don't go as far as they used to.

Having said that, I still think you can have good hunts in Wyoming every couple of years, and maybe even get lucky in the random every now and then. I have no plans of dropping out of the point system in Wyoming or Colorado.

There are lots of examples, however they would be specific rather then general. No double there are r point units that aren’t twice as good a general unit You could have drawn with say two points.

I personally hope to see the point sharing go away. If you draw you go in with the lowest point holders points and everyone looses their points.

Too many people "Selling" their points to friends. Its becoming a scheme used by many to get tags.

I personally hope to see the point sharing go away. If you draw you go in with the lowest point holders points and everyone looses their points.

Too many people "Selling" their points to friends. Its becoming a scheme used by many to get tags.
Our group hunting General tags always had a rotating cast of guys who sat out a year or two (Only wanted to hunt elk every couple years) Their points would put us over the top to draw 7 years out of 9.

Grizzlies and elevation have caused my father and uncle to bow out of applying in Wyoming from now on.

lots of area with good elk and deer. I see just as many and as large bulls in areas that take 4 as I do in areas that take 10+. Deer can be had for 4-5 for some great areas and 2-3 for areas taht have the oppertunity for some large bucks.

I'm right there with you Lifesupport, I now have 4 elk, 6 deer and 6 antelope. And don't have a clue where or when I want to or more importantly SHOULD use them. I have 4 elk and 4 deer in CO but since I only HAVE to buy points every 10 years in CO to keep from loosing them I'm leaning toward burning my WY points first so that I don't have to be in their ever increasing wallet sucking points game forever.

I am at 4 elk points... and as a side note, 4 deer and 5 antelope.

I'm right there with you Lifesupport, I now have 4 elk, 6 deer and 6 antelope. And don't have a clue where or when I want to or more importantly SHOULD use them.

I do think there is a point of diminishing returns on deer points in Wyoming. There just aren't enough top end units to spread those points around and there is a log jam of folks waiting and just stacking up behind the max point pool. I think the 5 or 6 point range is about where you start to really see a drop off in return for deer points in Wyoming. My 2 cents.

Hunters buying points without a plan on how to use them, deserve to be bewildered and caught in the point trap of their own making.

Every state I apply in that has points, I had a plan from the first time I submitted an application.

No plan in place, you're simply throwing money down the drain.

Well, Buzz, when you are 45 years old and just getting started in the western hunting game, you buy points for yourself and your kids because you are just learning about everything and are excited to try to do it all. Greenhorn knowledge leads us to believe that we need points if we want to hunt something. I want to hunt every critter out there, but realized I would likely never draw Moose, sheep, Mt goat, but could draw elk, deer, and antelope before I'm too old. So, yes, I bought points in CO and WY since they are states that I can visit on one -two day drives for vacations as well as hunting trips. I may have spent more $ on points than I needed to if I had solid plans but when you don't have connections out west I believe it's still a good plan to buy some points right away and learn as you go. That way when you do find a place that you want to hunt a specific species you at least have a few points built up to either go do it or you have a few points head start on making that trip happen. There's my logic anyway.

I do think there is a point of diminishing returns on deer points in Wyoming. There just aren't enough top end units to spread those points around and there is a log jam of folks waiting and just stacking up behind the max point pool. I think the 5 or 6 point range is about where you start to really see a drop off in return for deer points in Wyoming. My 2 cents.
I agree with this analysis. One thing to remember with Wyoming is: If you MISS two years of application those points disappear :(

Hunters buying points without a plan on how to use them, deserve to be bewildered and caught in the point trap of their own making.

Every state I apply in that has points, I had a plan from the first time I submitted an application.

No plan in place, you're simply throwing money down the drain.
Harsh. Maybe they could still figure it out or get some fellow hunters to steer them in the right direction and don’t “deserve to be bewildered”.

Buzz, your response seems your more aimed at holding folks back than helping people out. Thanks for letting us know how great of a planner you are.

Realistically, I started getting points knowing I wouldn’t make it to WY for several years. If I have an excess of points when I am ready to hunt then it won’t be the worst investment I could have made. I don’t think the concrete plan you made is the only right way to go.

Last edited:
Harsh. Maybe they could still figure it out or get some fellow hunters to steer them in the right direction and don’t “deserve to be bewildered”.

Buzz, your response seems your more aimed at holding folks back than helping people out. Thanks for letting us know how great of a planner you are.

Realistically, I started getting points knowing I wouldn’t make it to WY for several years. If I have an excess of points when I am ready to hunt then it won’t be the worst investment I could have made. I don’t think the concrete plan you made is the only right way to go.

I imagine any 4 or 5 point elk, deer, or pronghorn hunt in Wyoming could be a quality experience. Pick one and go!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back