WY Land Hucksters

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Like a dark plague on the western landscape, the public land transfer issue is now getting a chance to be funded by the Wyoming citizens. Below is a link where the same bad ideas being promoted in UT, ID, NV, MT is being proposed in Wyoming.

http://trib.com/news/state-and-regi...cle_d3df9270-6393-551d-be72-6be12957ed5e.html

For all the reasons mentioned on the others threads, this is a bad idea. Especially in the state that gives us the STATE law that you cannot hunt certain Federal lands, designated wilderness areas, without an outfitter.

I can only imagine what kind of crazy laws Wyoming could come up with if they had those lands currently held by the Feds. Right now, you can't camp on the state lands, so if you hunt Wyoming, think about how your hunt would change if you couldn't camp where you did.

Of the Lower 48 states, Wyoming is second only to Nevada in their track record of selling their public lands. They've sold 700K of the 4.2 million they once had, and still actively selling more.

Anyhow, given there are a lot of Wyoming guys on this board, wanted to make sure it was known that you are being asked to pay for another study, just like ID and UT. The groups promoting this idea have lost in court, lost in debates, and lost most everywhere they pop up, with the exception of some fringe operators in state legislatures.

The new strategy is get citizens of the western states to pay for the studies and the lawsuits, rather than the non-profit groups and individuals who are promoters behind this scheme. Always easy to spend the other guy's money.

I saw it firsthand this past season. My antelope unit (leftover tag) had 2 small access points to thousands of acres of BLM and state land. When I got there, 1 of those had no trespassing signs posted at the boundary. Turned out, the state had sold that block to the neighboring rancher a few years before. It was just a small parcel, but it cut off access to thousands more acres of BLM and state land for those willing to walk.

BIgfin,

The Wyoming guys/gals are all over this issue, and is the main topic of the upcoming sportsmens reception next month.

There will be a lot of Wyoming sportsmen and representing many sportsmens groups, in the ear of the Legislature regarding this issue.

Glad to hear that, Buzz. I figured such was the case.

I can hardly wait until the fringe of the MT Legislature gets their juices flowing and we get to debate this issue in Helena. I expect a lot of political teeth to be rolling down 6th Avenue in front of the Capitol. Most likely, when the curs see the mobilized opposition, they will crawl back in their holes and call in reinforcements from Utah, the likes of which will be conveniently busy due to their aversion of debate with anyone above an modestly informed fifth grader (my apologies to the fifth graders).

Randy,

Thank you for your efforts and for keeping this issue on the radar, its a big deal for public land hunters.

We will be working the phones, committee's, and Legislative sessions as hard as we can on this issue.

Sounds like you're poised to do the same in Montana.

Buzz, do you mind if I ask where you get your information? Where would a fellow Wyomingite go to stay up to date and help out with sportsman issues?

The Utah thread was a real eye opener for me. As a proponent of smaller government I was under the opinion that land transfers would be a good thing. I was wrong. After reading what Randy and others posted and doing a little bit of research I've come 180° in my thinking. Thanks for the education.

Buzz, do you mind if I ask where you get your information? Where would a fellow Wyomingite go to stay up to date and help out with sportsman issues?

I'm one of the co-chairs for WYBHA, which is also one of the groups that make up the Wyoming Sportsmens Alliance.

I try to keep most of the issues, where/when appropriate, out there on Randys board here.

There is quite a bit of stuff going on this upcoming session and I will try to keep it updated.

Some of the stuff going on this session that is either introduced, in the works, or on the radar are:

Transfer of public lands sf56, which would appropriate $100,000 of taxpayer money to further "study" the transfer.

I have seen a draft of a bill that would reduce the NR allocation of sheep, moose, goat, bison, and grizzly bear licenses in WY to 10% of the available tags.

I have heard, but not seen a draft, of a bill to make corner crossing legal in Wyoming. I have heard, but not seen a draft, of an opposing bill making corner crossing illegal.

Another big issue that WYBHA (with a major lift and help from a Casper area guy that posts here) is dealing with is the clarification of aircraft for scouting, including drones. There is a conflict between regulation and statute, hope to have the issue resolved here real soon.

Lots of other things, but those are on top of the pile at the moment.

The ignorance at the legislature is now in full swing.

SF56 has been introduced, asking for an appropriation of $100,000 to study the feasibility of transferring public lands to the State of Wyoming:

http://legisweb.state.wy.us/2015/Introduced/SF0056.pdf

This article was also recently in the CST:

http://billingsgazette.com/news/sta...fe0-b6fb-e2abff5e152c.html#.VLYKoVUBXbE.email

Time to start writing emails and making phone calls to the committee pushing this bill.

http://legisweb.state.wy.us/LegislatorSummary/CommitteeMembers.aspx?strCommitteeID=SFR

A few things to consider if contacting them:

1. They are wasting $100,000 of your tax dollars to meet and have lunch studying this transfer. That money could be spent on more important things like funding the WWNRT, GF, etc.

2. The State of Wyoming has a terrible track record of peddling State lands. Of the 4.2 million acres they were granted at Statehood, 700,000 have been sold, nearly 1/4 of YOUR lands. Sportsmen have lost access to enough State land already.

3. Recreation is heavily restricted on State lands, no campfires, no camping, etc. on State lands.

4. Management costs to the State of Wyoming would force them to sell a majority of any acquired lands.

5. Look into how "well" the State lands in Wyoming are currently managed.

6. State lands are mandated, by statute, to be managed to maximize profit for the State School Trust. Recreation, hunting, fishing, camping, is NOT going to be a consideration if these lands are transferred while profits are maximized.

Let those on the committee know that Sportsmen value their public lands and wildlife.

Thanks Buzz, keep the updates coming when you can.
Even though I am a NR I try to keep up with what is going on in states surrounding ID.

A big thank you to both Randy and Buzz for keeping the majority of us Hunt Talkers updated on these situations. Thanks again!

I have heard, but not seen a draft, of a bill to make corner crossing legal in Wyoming. I have heard, but not seen a draft, of an opposing bill making corner crossing illegal.

THIS^ should be an interesting meeting! I am all for making it legal and taking back a little of the free ride for some of these landowners.

teamhoyt,

It seems that the only group willing to stick their neck out on the corner crossing bill in Wyoming at this time is WYBHA.

We will be finalizing an official position tonight...stay tuned.

Another big issue that WYBHA (with a major lift and help from a Casper area guy that posts here) is dealing with is the clarification of aircraft for scouting, including drones.

I would like to get in touch with the "Casper area guy". We had something - my guess was either an ultralight or a drone - fly low over our camp at 4:20 am the second day of rifle elk season last year. We were camped about 30 miles South of Casper on NF land.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MJS4KIDS
Back