WY Elk Tags: Can You Decline a Tag You Draw?

matechakeric

Can you turn down unwanted tags you draw?

My party of 3 wants to hunt WY next year and plan on each applying for general rifle bull tag (1 point so odds are we won't draw but 1 of us might) and also reduced cost cow tag as our backup options.

at most we want to kill 2 elk -- no more. there's a chance if 2 of us apply for type 6 tags that we end up with 2 cow tags + a bull tag from the general draw. That would be way too much.

In Wyoming, can you turn down tags you draw but don't want?

I ran to this “dilemma” my first year applying in WY. Since then I took a closer look at the math and realized how minuscule my odds were of drawing too many tags. Now I just throw a bunch of darts at the board and see what sticks. Worst case scenario I draw 0/5 tags. If I somehow draw 5/5 tags I may not get around to hunting 1-2 of them but oh well that’s part of the price of playing the game.

My suggestion: have your party put in individual applications for each of the six tags and take the results in stride.

I ran to this “dilemma” my first year applying in WY. Since then I took a closer look at the math and realized how minuscule my odds were of drawing too many tags. Now I just throw a bunch of darts at the board and see what sticks. Worst case scenario I draw 0/5 tags. If I somehow draw 5/5 tags I may not get around to hunting 1-2 of them but oh well that’s part of the price of playing the game.

My suggestion: have your party put in individual applications for each of the six tags and take the results in stride.
haha yea that's what I assumed would occur. we just won't have the cooler space (or the strong backs) for more than 2 animals

I bought a 150 qt Coleman cooler for $50 shipped. Don’t let cooler capacity limit you
perhaps the bigger limiter will be our bodies handling the weight of hauling out more than 2 elk. My father is 67 and my wife is 120 pounds. I'm fit but I don't want to set us up for failure. I want them enjoying their time, not hating life hauling meat

There's about a 75% chance none of you draw general tags. Cow tags with good success rates are far from a sure bet to draw. I really don't think that shooting too many elk should even be on your radar as far as concerns go. Not to mention, an elk tag does not equate to a dead elk. At least it doesn't in my experience.

There's about a 75% chance none of you draw general tags. Cow tags with good success rates are far from a sure bet to draw. I really don't think that shooting too many elk should even be on your radar as far as concerns go. Not to mention, an elk tag does not equate to a dead elk. At least it doesn't in my experience.
I get it I get it. The reduced priced cow tags for the units in looking at are 89% and 100% draw odds. I'm just asking

I used to apply to dozens of tags across the West and the most I drew was 5 tags. Out of over 100 tags drawn, I turned in two due to being in hospital and ate one other tag. I am blessed in can take off several weeks each year to hunt. When my application choices for non-resident hunts are at best 1 in 15 odds and about 1/3 are 1 in 200 or longer odds and in some states effectively drawing dead based on 100% preference points then math is your friend. Hunt as often as you can and if end up with too much meat then can share with neighbors or donate. I donated meat a couple of times when was still eating on prior year meat and we are charitable so paid for the processing and the Church got a smidge less that autumn. I also trade with co-workers who fish and raise livestock. I find making jerky and pepperoni sticks will make the oldest, chewiest critter currency to bribe people at work.

I bought a 150 qt Coleman cooler for $50 shipped. Don’t let cooler capacity limit you
The coleman marine coolers for the price are amazing. With 2 blocks of ice i was able to keep meat 10 days in as high as 94 deg temps with a sleeping bag over them and duct tape around opening and draining every night.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back