Wy decisions

Jacack

Going to apply with a friend this year and split my 9 with his 2 and go see what we can turn up.

Been looking at 63 , anyone hunt it last year that cares to share what they thought of the unit by private message?

Like any other wy zone, good lope some giants if you look hard and in different locations. Recommend a SxS or 4wheeler if possible i dont hunt it but fish it, atleast the east half. West half has tons of cool land to hunt but again roads can be tough. Great camping, windy as hell, rough roads and lots of lope...wyoming. if you do draw buy daily fishing license and if i had 1 week to hunt it wouldnt be first one...

Going to apply with a friend this year and split my 9 with his 2 and go see what we can turn up.

Been looking at 63 , anyone hunt it last year that cares to share what they thought of the unit by private message?
You are one hell of a friend. I cashed in on my 8 points last year and had the “antelope hunt of my life”. Meaning at almost 50 years old I will never have enough points to draw that unit again. My advice would be for you to draw an awesome unit and y’all travel together and enjoy the hunt along with fishing or something similar. Then in a couple years y’all combine points and have another great hunt where both of y’all shoot one. Ironically my wife hasn’t cashed in her now 9 points yet and I can’t wait to go with her on her “ once in a lifetime “ antelope hunt.

You are one hell of a friend. I cashed in on my 8 points last year and had the “antelope hunt of my life”. Meaning at almost 50 years old I will never have enough points to draw that unit again. My advice would be for you to draw an awesome unit and y’all travel together and enjoy the hunt along with fishing or something similar. Then in a couple years y’all combine points and have another great hunt where both of y’all shoot one. Ironically my wife hasn’t cashed in her now 9 points yet and I can’t wait to go with her on her “ once in a lifetime “ antelope hunt.

I understand and while I know I could pull a great tag with my 9 but I think antelope are fun with a buddy, now elk I only hunt solo last few years and enjoy it that way, until the pack out.

With a 5.5 point average you can still draw a pretty good hunt, especially if you pay extra in the special draw. Maybe have the friend pay the additional cost since he's benefitting from the points you've invested in over the years.

thats the plan. just trying to decide where to go.

thats the plan. just trying to decide where to go.
Sooooo is there like an application process to be friends with you or how do we start this friendship off lol. In all seriousness, for 63 if you do the special draw your chances are VERY good with the amount of point yall have. Have you been looking at it on Google earth?

Sooooo is there like an application process to be friends with you or how do we start this friendship off lol. In all seriousness, for 63 if you do the special draw your chances are VERY good with the amount of point yall have. Have you been looking at it on Google earth?
Yes I have been looking at it I just have never spent any time in that part of wy its a smaller unit I know but not sure about the tag #s .

He has a place in Missouri he took me to for archery whitetail during the rut this past year and it was a great trip with tons of nice bucks so its time to repay him, and I want to get invited back!

Draw a second choice tag this year and go together, then go on a better hunt next year. 10 points will get you one hell of a tag. I find low pressure hunts with no points invested are more fun, but what do I know with my jumble of points and 7 2nd choice or leftover bucks in 7 years hunted.

You’ll def draw it! I suspect you’ll both kill good goats. Check out pathfinder reservoir for excellent fishing too.

Draw a second choice tag this year and go together, then go on a better hunt next year. 10 points will get you one hell of a tag. I find low pressure hunts with no points invested are more fun, but what do I know with my jumble of points and 7 2nd choice or leftover bucks in 7 years hunted.
Still may do just that. Having to come from Florida makes it hard to swing more than 2 hunts a year and this year i have completely struck out on LE elk tags and don't expect to pull utah or nv so it's a good year to use my goat points. Probably get the az elk tag i want next year and will have enough deer points in a couple states to pull the tags i have been saving for

You’ll def draw it! I suspect you’ll both kill good goats. Check out pathfinder reservoir for excellent fishing too.
I am still on the fence on if it's a good use of the points.

I did like the fishing options as I am a boat captain/guide here in Florida and always enjoy some fishing without clients to produce for

63 has a lot of pronghorn and you would have a great hunt. There are several excellent units you can draw with 5.5 points.

I'm usually the guy who says keep your points to yourself since you have been patiently waiting. However, you seem to have a good hunting buddy who opened his farm to you. Pay your buddy back and go hunt 63. Plenty of goats and great access. Pathfinder Ranch owns a huge chunk in the heart of 63, but it won't effect the hunt, just need to know where you are. Like others have said take a fishing pole and spend a few extra days at Pathfinder, Grey Reef and the Mile you won't be disappointed.

Thanks for all the input. Going to hold off this year as Utah was gracious enough to give me a LE archery elk tag in the random so between that and other hunts I have decided to wait another year

So, 63 is a fun hunt.

It is a weird unit.

I have seen Big Horn Sheep, massive mule deer, and massive elk all in the same day within a mile or two of each other.

The Tag Allocations fluctuate wildly especially with the type 2 and type 7.

I remember when it was 20 doe tags and 100 buck tags a few years ago.

Last year the harvest was 237 type 2 and 190 type 7.

This year they reduced the number of tags.

There can be quality in the area, but it can be hard to find especially after the antelope start getting pushed.

Access can be tricky without the use of a SxS or ATV.

There is a HMU in the area.

You do need a mapping device to know where you are at in the area.

Lots of good fishing in the area on the Platte to be had.

Also, there are a lot of rattle snakes and ankle biting cactus in the area.

Word the wise, if you set up to shoot make sure you do not sit or kneel on a cactus.

It is a bad time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back