Caribou Gear Tarp

WY Bison

Best advice I would give you is talk with the gals in the WG&F office often and give them your phone number. We had regular contact with the GW over there too as he keeps tabs on the bison herds.
Bulls will move over sooner than cows, be ready to go on a days or half days notice.
We went for our cows when bison were close but not yet on the NER and had to wait a day or so but they moved on.
I also looked at the Kelly, Wy webcam and watched for groups to get near the road and river where they cross near Kelly. https://www.alltripcams.com/jackson_hole_wyoming/grand_tetons_kelly_wyoming

Horses are an advantage but not necessary, we did our hunts on foot, take snowshoes. Do use Tag N Drag for retrieval and gutting unless you have horses.

Best advice I would give you is talk with the gals in the WG&F office often and give them your phone number. We had regular contact with the GW over there too as he keeps tabs on the bison herds.
Bulls will move over sooner than cows, be ready to go on a days or half days notice.
We went for our cows when bison were close but not yet on the NER and had to wait a day or so but they moved on.
I also looked at the Kelly, Wy webcam and watched for groups to get near the road and river where they cross near Kelly. https://www.alltripcams.com/jackson_hole_wyoming/grand_tetons_kelly_wyoming

Horses are an advantage but not necessary, we did our hunts on foot, take snowshoes. Do use Tag N Drag for retrieval and gutting unless you have horses.
Sounds great man thanks for the info. I’ll keep everyone informed with the hunt and anyone that needs info in the future about this hunt can contact me and I’ll tell ya all about it.

Cheytown have you talked with Jon Stephens about your bison hunt? He's the GW that helped us quite a bit and followed the bison movements.

Looking forward to your success pics too!

That is incredible man. How did the sled survive! Congrats again I’m hoping to have a similar picture.
The first sled didn't work out too well and broke within a few hundred yards. In fairness though, that sled had been used to pack out close to 25 bison and was in pretty rough shape. The second sled handled it like a breeze for the roughly 3 miles to the truck.

Cheytown have you talked with Jon Stephens about your bison hunt? He's the GW that helped us quite a bit and followed the bison movements.

Looking forward to your success pics too!
I have been in contact with Jon. He is indeed a great resource. He said this has been a tough year for bison and elk as well. The biggest issue now is the Forest Roads have been closed for the winter and there is not enough snow for a snow machine, so basically a guy needs horses to access the forest. I sure wish they would close off a section of the Park for a week to allow the “bison cull” lol. Talk about a media frenzy lol.

So as promised I’m following up on my bison hunt. I was unsuccessful filling the tag. I’ve got some great information for anyone that draws this tag and needs information for their hunt. Please reach out.

Back