MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

WY Area 53 Type 9 - Outfitter or DIY?

BrokenArrow

So, After 20 years of hunting and applying, for the first time ever, I got lucky in the regular random elk draw with fewer than minimum preference points. Feel like I won the lottery.

But considering area 53, which is more of a later season migration route for Yellowstone elk, I am very concerned about being able to find elk during archery season as a DIY NR. Especially outside of the Wilderness area. I could probably get horses, I know its big country with lots of bears.
Let me preface also by saying that I have been a deer and elk guide for 15 years and know some outfits are great and others are hobbled together.
I am ok with spending some $ and letting someone guide me for a change! I have led folks to elk that had no chance in hell without me. I consider myself that newbie guy when it concerns a new area that I've never laid eyes on. In other words, I respect and would pay for local knowledge and logistics.

So,
1. Does anyone feel that a NR DIY could pull this off?
or
2. Would you get an outfitter in wilderness based on the rarity of this tag and early season non-migration, basically focusing on resident elk?
3. If you had experience or knowledge of an outfitter, who would you book?

I'm also going to post this on other sites to increase my knowledge. You might see this somewhere else.

Thanks for any response, JW

I would recommend an outfitter (Unless you can find a willing Wyoming resident). From my limited experience in the area, the elk on this unit are concentrated in the wilderness. However, we saw some fantastic bulls on this unit during the early season. You will be chasing quality elk for sure!!

I would recommend an outfitter (Unless you can find a willing Wyoming resident). From my limited experience in the area, the elk on this unit are concentrated in the wilderness. However, we saw some fantastic bulls on this unit during the early season. You will be chasing quality elk for sure!!
Copy that. that is the impression I'm getting.
I have talked to few outfitters and at this point. Luckily 2 of them have spots open. All of the outfitters I have talked to are professional, top notch, got their stuff together outfits. I would be very happy with any of them.

I am prepared to sell my old jeep who's been with me for many years and fund an experience where i get to be the client and let someone guide me. I'm happy to also give back to the trade that supported me for so long also.
Hopefully I'm posting bull pics for you guys soon!

To me it comes down to whether I'm going to hunt an area over and over...If so then DIY makes sense. If it is a one and done, get local professional help. Truth is having someone with boots on the ground experience , and you there as a capable partner in camp and able to keep up on horseback, you might have opportunities other less seasoned clients wouldn't get.

To me it comes down to whether I'm going to hunt an area over and over...If so then DIY makes sense. If it is a one and done, get local professional help. Truth is having someone with boots on the ground experience , and you there as a capable partner in camp and able to keep up on horseback, you might have opportunities other less seasoned clients wouldn't get.
Very true. I am convinced of the same. I have only guided. Never been the client. The outfit I talked to was even ready to let me assist in the calling after we swapped a few stories. Seems like a great fit for both our styles of hunting.

Btw, Got my first hike in yesterday. Luckily I live at 8900’, but I gotta quit drinking a couple beers after work.

Good luck to all. We gotta seize the carp. Or carpe the diem, lol.
Seriously, the 90/10 split being talked about with task force in WY along with the outfits is gonna make drawing in the future tough. This hunt will get my 100% dedication

I’m interested on how you make out . If you talk about this hunt elsewhere fill us in. you are making the right decision on getting an outfitter. You might learn something new. Spend the money, in doing what you love. After a successful hunt, you won’t regret it. Also if you can share the outfitter you choose. Keep us posted…

I'd be interested in who you're going with, I may or may not have some insight.
I cant PM you cause you don't have enough posts. If you post one more comment, I think I can PM you.
I want to keep my options a secret for now, because i don;t want to start a drama war on HT.

So, After 20 years of hunting and applying, for the first time ever, I got lucky in the regular random elk draw with fewer than minimum preference points. Feel like I won the lottery.

But considering area 53, which is more of a later season migration route for Yellowstone elk, I am very concerned about being able to find elk during archery season as a DIY NR. Especially outside of the Wilderness area. I could probably get horses, I know its big country with lots of bears.
Let me preface also by saying that I have been a deer and elk guide for 15 years and know some outfits are great and others are hobbled together.
I am ok with spending some $ and letting someone guide me for a change! I have led folks to elk that had no chance in hell without me. I consider myself that newbie guy when it concerns a new area that I've never laid eyes on. In other words, I respect and would pay for local knowledge and logistics.

So,
1. Does anyone feel that a NR DIY could pull this off?
or
2. Would you get an outfitter in wilderness based on the rarity of this tag and early season non-migration, basically focusing on resident elk?
3. If you had experience or knowledge of an outfitter, who would you book?

I'm also going to post this on other sites to increase my knowledge. You might see this somewhere else.

Thanks for any response, JW
Forgive me if I'm wrong. I'm a WY resident so I don't really look at non-resident regs but I think if your a non-resident you have to have a guide or a resident of so many years to hunt in the wilderness.

@BrokenArrow, how did your hunt go?
Hey there,
I did tag out on an old 6x bull with the biggest body I’ve ever seen. Saying that, it was guided.
I would not go without a guide. Period. I’ve dealt with bears from Alaska to New Mexico. We saw more bear and bear caches than I’ve ever seen. With a close call coming from a sow and 2 cubs.
I know that the guides in the area are fixing prices in the $12k zone as of this last hunting season. I got very lucky on price and availability of my spot.
For 12k, I would just get a general tag and call it good. Hunting is comparable. $12k is a disgrace. I’ve guided for 20 years. Is just BS.

Hey there,
I did tag out on an old 6x bull with the biggest body I’ve ever seen. Saying that, it was guided.
I would not go without a guide. Period. I’ve dealt with bears from Alaska to New Mexico. We saw more bear and bear caches than I’ve ever seen. With a close call coming from a sow and 2 cubs.
I know that the guides in the area are fixing prices in the $12k zone as of this last hunting season. I got very lucky on price and availability of my spot.
For 12k, I would just get a general tag and call it good. Hunting is comparable. $12k is a disgrace. I’ve guided for 20 years. Is just BS.
At least you walked out with something. Not a bad consolation prize in hindsight. Congrats on the bull.

At least you walked out with something. Not a bad consolation prize in hindsight. Congrats on the bull.
Absolutely. Very happy. I may never draw in WY again.
Oddly enough, that old bull is the best tasting elk I’ve ever had. Go figure.
It’s just getting harder to NR hunt Wyoming. I briefly saw that the new regs came out with the zones changing. Will research more today about this years changes. Wondering if the 90/10 split for E/D/P happened?

Last edited:
Hey there,
So was this bull killed when photo technology was around?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back