WY Antelope Draw 2020 Review

I finished my WY antelope research from 2020. Here are some thoughts I've found:

1. If you can stomach a $600 antelope tag and you really want to go antelope hunting, the special draw really is worth it.
2. Guys with 2-7 points really came off the bench and put their points into the game.
3. Most interesting to me: first timers (0-1 points) actually stayed the same or dropped in my units I checked (special and regular draws).
4. Those still on the sidelines might follow the lead of the 2020 draw and burn points. It isn't getting any better.
5. There are still gems out there if you do your digging.

Now off to see why I didn't draw my ID moose tag...
Last year seemed to be a different year in all aspects. That being said, this will be our second year applying. We are from Louisiana and love hunting out west, but never have hunted Wyoming. Hoping that changes this year. We will be applying with 2pp, so I don't have high hopes.

I'm curious to see what the draw odds look like after this year and hope that 2020 was an anomaly. The unit I'm interested in used to be 100% for anything more than 0 preference points. I took my oldest son in 2019 and am hoping to take my youngest in 2022. If the odds from 2020 hold, the points we'll have going into the draw will not make it a guarantee unless we go special draw...

I'm curious to see what the draw odds look like after this year and hope that 2020 was an anomaly. The unit I'm interested in used to be 100% for anything more than 0 preference points. I took my oldest son in 2019 and am hoping to take my youngest in 2022. If the odds from 2020 hold, the points we'll have going into the draw will not make it a guarantee unless we go special draw...
I think 2021 will be much like 2020. Stimulus checks continue to roll, points are burning holes in people's pockets, western hunting continues increase in popularity, record numbers of new hunters and new gun owners, and other recreation pursuits are limited by Covid. I expect this to be the new norm/trajectory.

I think 2021 will be much like 2020. Stimulus checks continue to roll, points are burning holes in people's pockets, western hunting continues increase in popularity, record numbers of new hunters and new gun owners, and other recreation pursuits are limited by Covid. I expect this to be the new norm/trajectory.
I feel the same way. Just hopeful as I've been planning on this hunt with my youngest for a long time. Not a complaint, but Randy's platform and resources like Hunttalk have increased the knowledge of how to go pronghorn hunting in WY and the fun it allows. The demand will only go up I fear.

I’m gonna try and burn my 20 points; the 15 I bought for myself and the 5 I bought for my hunting partner.

Winter hasn't shown up yet. If nothing changes more worries about drought

It was 62 at house today, supposedly winter coming to visit for a week starting tomorrow. We will see but we need some moisture, lower mountains are bare still.

having studied draw trends for a few different species in many units in several states for a while i will say that wyoming antelope fluctuates more than any other species in any other state. it’s seems like most of the units i look at do not have a classic creep trend instead you see units get tougher then easier then tougher. you see units go from 1-2 points to 5-7 points and back to 0-1 and up to 8
my only conclusion is that guys aren’t as tied to a unit as they seem to be with deer and elk at times. People look at the draw odds and see a unit that took 8 points and they assume it’ll take more so people get out of that unit and all jump into the units that trended lower points to draw the year before. A bunch of people hit that unit and send it higher and the one that was higher loser applicants and drops. therefore you can see a zig when they zag strategy might work 🤷‍♂️

just to confirm,
if i enter with lets say 1pt for some unit, and dont draw based on points.
i still go into 25% NR pool for a complete random draw,
is this correct?
thanks

having studied draw trends for a few different species in many units in several states for a while i will say that wyoming antelope fluctuates more than any other species in any other state. it’s seems like most of the units i look at do not have a classic creep trend instead you see units get tougher then easier then tougher. you see units go from 1-2 points to 5-7 points and back to 0-1 and up to 8
my only conclusion is that guys aren’t as tied to a unit as they seem to be with deer and elk at times. People look at the draw odds and see a unit that took 8 points and they assume it’ll take more so people get out of that unit and all jump into the units that trended lower points to draw the year before. A bunch of people hit that unit and send it higher and the one that was higher loser applicants and drops. therefore you can see a zig when they zag strategy might work 🤷‍♂️
Probably incidents of things like winterkill playing a role too. But you're right, I think, about people moving around from unit to unit. Zig when they zag is probably a good idea.

Wait till you gotta start using points for does.

And buck tags effectively become once or twice a lifetime.
While sitting on a pile of elk points ive tgought about using some for type4 cow tags.

The zig while they zag is good if you can figure out what the zag will be. Unit i thought was a slam dunk 100 percent draw year before was 1 in 10. Luckily unit that might draw both me and son hit on that. With the warning shot with some of the bills that were up and didn't pass for now till commission can give a report next January I see burn points now while they are still worth something and tags are cheaper than what they will be. The idea of 600 antelope tag of the future has me saying 326 is expensive enough for a goat. Less tags isn't going to help anything either. I do think it is time for points on doe. My strategy was to just hunt doe antelope and cow elk with an occasional bull thrown in but with the proposals that will go out the window as a non resident. Time to move to Wyoming.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back