WY Antelope 106

Muskeez

Well, I'm thankfully back to antelope hunting! I drew 106 this year and hope to scout it out well for my daughter to possibly draw next year if it's a decent unit. I will be taking an enclosed trailer to sleep in. For the guys that have been there, do you recommend I throw the UTV/ATV in the trailer? Is it useful in this unit or can you get everywhere you need to with the truck? Also if there's any portion of the unit that's a waste of time I'd appreciate that type of info, otherwise I'm sure there will be plenty to look through and it will be fun to try to cover it all ! I understand it's a long ways from services so I will bring extra fuel and tire repair. I haven't had a tag myself for 7 years so I'm excited to be the trigger man again :) Also need to consider opening weekend vs. later in the season. It runs Sept. 18-Oct 31.

Yes atv would be nice, plenty of rough trails but most can get through with a truck, if I had an ATV I would definitely bring it. I found way more animals north of the hwy. I tent camped a ways off the road, you won't be able to get a trailer very far off the couple main roads. Jeffrey city had gas in 2019 at least and a little hunter friendly motel "green mountain motel"

I wish I could draw there again. Such a fun place to hunt. Yeah, I’d throw in the UTV. Why not? And I found way more antelope within a mile or two of the River than I did in the center of the unit or up by the Rim. But there’s antelope all over. You can’t not have a fun antelope hunt there.

Hunted it last year with my son. Went a little later and never seen another hunter.
We did not have a atv and we were just fine, however might be a good insurance policy
if it gets wet. Jeffrey City still had gas and some rooms as of last year. Did not see any
trophy type animals but no shortage of animals and a lot of bucks. Had a blast. Jeffrey
City is something else.

Here’s a link to my write-up from 2017. I scouted for a couple of days before the season started and then shot this one on opening morning. Not huge or anything (74”), but I had a great time there. Fun hunt!

Great info guys, thanks so much! I'm trying to find info on services available in Jeffrey city but no luck. If anyone has knowledge of where the closest station would be for diesel fuel please let me know. I'll likely bring a lot with me in cans in the bed of truck.

Great info guys, thanks so much! I'm trying to find info on services available in Jeffrey city but no luck. If anyone has knowledge of where the closest station would be for diesel fuel please let me know. I'll likely bring a lot with me in cans in the bed of truck.
Your inability to find info will make perfect sense when you roll into town. The phone’s been off the hook in Jeffrey City for 35 years. 😀

Muddy Gap, and you’ll pay a lot of money to fill up there.

You’re less than an hour’s drive from Lander. There’s gas (or there was) in JC but I’m not sure about diesel. Sweetwater Station also had gas, I believe. Again, not sure about diesel.

I filled up with diesel in Jeffrey City at the bar/cafe two years ago. I saw plenty of local diesel trucks filling up also while there. Look up the cafe and give them a call.

Riverton might be best if you are on the North side of 106. If on the South side it’s likely you pay high prices in Muddy Gap. There was a gas station in Jeffrey City but not sure of its status.

I drove through Jeffrey City last fall and I didn't notice a gas station. As mentioned above, I had to get expensive fuel at Muddy Gap.

Well, back from 106 ! I have been absent from HT for quite a while other than this thread so feeling I owe a recap at least. Especially for those that helped out and for those that may draw it in the future. We had a fantastic trip! I'd say we both probably thought that finding an 80" buck would be easier than it was. Maybe this had something to do with the dry year?? We got there Thursday am, and spent 2 days looking over as many bucks as possible. The antelope were definitely in pockets, we would look for a couple hours and barely see any at all, then we'd run across 50 in the next hour, then repeat. Saturday we saw several other hunters but not a lot. Sunday fewer hunters and Monday only 2 others. We saw a LOT of 60-70" bucks. We felt like we saw a total of 4 bucks that would break 75". We shot 2 of them, never saw one of them again, and one was on private. I shot mine at 62 yards in the rocks, it was an incredible stalk and a hunt that I will remember forever. My buddy shot his out on the sage at less than 200 yards. We camped in our enclosed UTV trailer on BLM land, but only used the UTV one afternoon just because we brought it along. Honestly the truck worked better most of the time. The 2-tracks were wide enough for trucks but too wide for the UTV or an ATV. If it would have been wet then the UTV would have been a valuable tool. There was fuel and snacks and a restaurant at Jeffrey City. Muddy Gap also had fuel but we didn't stop there. It was a great hunt but was it worth 7pp and special tag?? I guess that depends on what you are looking for. I hadn't had a tag of my own for a long time so it was worth it to me no matter what size buck I shot. From here on out we will be using our points every 2-3 years and be happy shooting mediocre sized bucks. I will try to post some pics but I'm not too smooth at that. A bonus of this unit was hunting along the Oregon trail and learning some of the history that goes along with it.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back