Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

WTF Kodiak

Ovis

Doesn't look like I'll be hunting the area in 475 I planned to this year. Lakes never thawed at the 2K' level, now I am limited to the same 2 or 3 lakes everyone else plans to hunt this year. Man did I have a sweet hunt mapped out! :BLEEP:

I heard that about Kodiak this year. Heard the same thing about the Ketchikan area. Too bad...as I understand it, the bears are likely to be a much bigger problem near the lower lakes.

ovis, man hit it from the salt, call cub air and see if there are any dirt strips he can get in on up high, but if you have to go from the salt water just do some flying and take a look. call john crye at fish and game and ask him what he'd do, he knows those goats and willl be a huge help. but don't look at the obvious optinions that everyone else is looking at..think outside the box. on the upside...the goats ain't froze.

Jake

Trust me, I don't normally settle for the obvious. The place I was headed to is several miles from the unit I drew...not many people know about this particular spot. I'd rather stay as far away from the other two lakes as possible.

What airframes does Cub Air operate? There are three of us going in...2 tag winners and 1 sherpa aka friend.

T Bone

Some of the guys will swap over to skis at a later date, but many never do. I'm not sure what these particular air taxis do, but I can tell you there probably won't be enough snow on the ground in Kodiak to even consider skis until later in the year.

Jake

I've tried to call Jack with Cub Air. Sounds like his phone is off the hook and I have heard from several sources he may not be flying the cub anymore. Any other ideas for a wheelie plane?

i'd just ask your orginal pilot about wheel planes, they'll understand your situation, the pilots on kodiak are some of the nicest group of guys i've ever delt with, they all seem to have great reps and be straight up and very helpfull.
been pretty warm the last couple days up here, not sure how it is at alltitude on kodiak or the condition of the ice but there might still be a chance the ice will be gone.

Yah, my fingers are crossed at this point. Called all around the island today, and it seems Jack is the only one who operates (or did) a cub. Will wrap this up by the weekend.

Cub Air - not flying this year because the cub is in the middle of a rebuild. It was destroyed when the hangar it was in collapsed.

As of today, my lake is 2/3 thawed...I'm optimistic it will be completely thawed out by this time next month. Game on....

I agree... go in from the salt....

We did it from the salt two years ago. It was a pretty good hump to the top from there, but we made it up and killed goats the first night. Packed them out the next day. It's doable.

Elkwhisper

Sorry I missed this post, I was out of town for 10 days. I've been watching the mts all summer and it looks like 3 of my 5 options are a no go. Two consisted of hiking in from trailheads, but with all that snow covering the ravines, etc. its too dangerous to do solo. The one high lake is still frozen and covered with snow. My only option is the salt right now and it looks like the two guys I was planning to go with decided to go for elk instead. I won't be going up the salmon stream solo so that's out. Also bought a 22' skiff a couple weeks back so money is a little tight to fly in anyway. Not looking good right now, but you never know.

Come on TB, you gotta make it happen. You ain't gettin' any younger and those mountains continue to get steeper.

TB

I'll be walking the streets of Kodiak on Sep 24th and Oct 1st. Huge buffer between the time we land in Kodiak and the time Seahawk flies us out and vice versa on the way out.

Miller, I do have two months so I may get over there. I'll just have to see how things play out.

Ovis, will you only have one day on each end or would you be able to tag on a quick roadsystem deer hunt? There aren't many bucks around this year, but the ones I've seen are decent. If not, we can hook up for a beverage at Henry's.

TB

Unless the wx/mx becomes a factor, then we only have the morning extending to late afternoon on both ends. Henry's sounds good...though the deer hunt sounds better.

crazy weather

Tried to get into 1702 & get the wife a goat Starting on the 5th but it was clouded in so we took a nearby lake. Flying over windy lake on the way it was all iced up but coming out on the 14th (Planned to come out on the 11th) it was starting to open. Sounds like Roland put someone there on Monday the 15th but they ended up with a DLP bear & didn't goat hunt. Good luck it seems like later is better right now as our weather was crap the entire time. Made it out one night from 4-9 found a big billy ranged him at 408 yds but it was 7:30 pm. He was skylined walking a ridge if he fell our way we would be good, the other way not recovered that day, and he just kept walking until obsecured. Thought oh well we would find him the next day & that was it for weather...
Would like to try again in Oct. but dont' know if I have the time or the funds unless I can walk in from the salt.

TB might have to pick you brain & see what you think about a couple options.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back