MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Wow.....I drew the OIL North Dakota Elk Tag.

I don't want to go to bed because I feel like I am dreaming.

I drew a highly coveted North Dakota OIL Any Elk tag....unit E4 which borders Teddy Roosevelt State Park. We have about 8k people apply for around 95 bull tags in units E3/E4 so odds are extremely slim. People put in for the big 3 draw their whole life without drawing so I want to do it justice! I am extremely grateful for this opportunity. I have from 9/3-12/31 to fill my tag so glad I saved all my vacation up to this point. Unit E4 opens up to unit E3 interchangeably after the first weekend. I can hunt with bow or gun as well.

Now the real preparation and work begins! I am going to give this everything I have, we have some beautiful country to hunt elk in and I never would have expected to get this tag let alone as my first elk hunting opportunity.

I have a solid plan laid out already but if anyone has any knowledge or advice please slide into those DMs!

I will update this thread with my hunt as we near showtime.

Cheers!

Also: My brother drew a ND Any-Moose tag in unit M6 as well. What a crazy day this has been for my circle, going to be a very busy fall.
That’s a pretty good haul! Good luck to you both

I don't want to go to bed because I feel like I am dreaming.

I drew a highly coveted North Dakota OIL Any Elk tag....unit E4 which borders Teddy Roosevelt State Park. We have about 8k people apply for around 95 bull tags in units E3/E4 so odds are extremely slim. People put in for the big 3 draw their whole life without drawing so I want to do it justice! I am extremely grateful for this opportunity. I have from 9/3-12/31 to fill my tag so glad I saved all my vacation up to this point. Unit E4 opens up to unit E3 interchangeably after the first weekend. I can hunt with bow or gun as well.

Now the real preparation and work begins! I am going to give this everything I have, we have some beautiful country to hunt elk in and I never would have expected to get this tag let alone as my first elk hunting opportunity.

I have a solid plan laid out already but if anyone has any knowledge or advice please slide into those DMs!

I will update this thread with my hunt as we near showtime.

Cheers!

Also: My brother drew a ND Any-Moose tag in unit M6 as well. What a crazy day this has been for my circle, going to be a very busy fall.
Congrats! Can’t wait to see pics.

Acquired access on a number of private spots so feeling really good heading into the season. Planning on making a weekend trip 7/24 to just get a lay of the land and see what I am working with. Then one or two more scouting trips before season opens 9/3. I am hoping the elk will be hugging the park and river with how dry it's been in ND this year.

Got my Tikka 30-06 zeroed using Berger 168 VLDs and a Nightforce SHV 4-14X50 F1 getting 3/4" groups out of it.

Acquired access on a number of private spots so feeling really good heading into the season. Planning on making a weekend trip 7/24 to just get a lay of the land and see what I am working with. Then one or two more scouting trips before season opens 9/3. I am hoping the elk will be hugging the park and river with how dry it's been in ND this year.

Got my Tikka 30-06 zeroed using Berger 168 VLDs and a Nightforce SHV 4-14X50 F1 getting 3/4" groups out of it.
Driving through that area actually looks like some good feed around there this year. That area has had quite a few rain storms go through

Driving through that area actually looks like some good feed around there this year. That area has had quite a few rain storms go through
Yep my main target A has food plots and crop just to the north of it off the river so hoping the dryness and water keeps them tight to the river and work there way through me.

Scouted for the first time last weekend. Acquired access on a few private chunks, hopefully will payoff the longer season goes if I struggle to get a bull opening week. Found 4 different groups of cows in 3 locations. Lots of potential and some great spots for glassing. Glad that the research and networking helped me find some solid areas that hold elk. There were some spikes mixed in with the cows as well as a 4 point branch antlered bull. With how dry it has been here it will be interesting to see how much behavior changes before season opens 9/3.

I set out 4 cameras and can't believe my cell cams seem to be working okay as I have gotten some pictures already. No elk just deer but the elk will come! I will be back in 3 weeks to check those areas I found once again and see if the bigger bulls are starting to round up their lady posse. Blew two truck tires and also about stepped on a damn rattlesnake so didn't have a dull moment this weekend haha

075a229c71a7f1f7600a58db4134364a.jpg

7e28b48a795c63af413ba376dfff2df6.jpg

e637bb4cad7679ba10bbdb35c202e18e.jpg

5e89753bf28330732d8f712176dbe33e.jpg

fae4352187a30774696560bca2a06c34.jpg

c6713cdbbb13c779b2fcf114ca3549c0.jpg

805a1a8080948f44aec240fafa2be511.jpg

That snake might be enough to do me in. That appears to be a big one.

Congratulations!! It took 25 years, but I finally drew a cow tag myself this year in E3. Happy hunting!

I was out scouting a few weeks ago also and found a ton of elk but alot of them were cows and small bulls with a couple of potential mixed in. We set up a few cams also. I had a buddy go out last weekend to scout and he didn't see much but checked the cams and had a ton of elk on cam but no big bulls. One cam came up missing almost two miles from the road. We used old cams so no loss there but still makes a guy mad. We also spoke to some landowners prior to going out and they either say yes or no so I have a feeling we will avoid those areas and stick to mostly public ground anyway.

Excited my cams picked up some bulls and managed to transfer them with spotty service. Young bulls but still exciting to get them on cams.

Going back scouting this weekend and will check the chips to see what else they picked up but didn't send over!

My brother also found a pretty nice bull moose he might try to shoot with his bow in archery season here.

13b487f8ab86986c9e4ba65a07138951.jpg

ea93089157b9ac8ebc4dfb51330f3b37.jpg

658868a6163cad77f3a779d09ec6c345.jpg

Back