Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Would you shoot a mountain lion or wolf on a deer tag?

If you want to hunt wolves. Go hunt wolves. Same with cats. That's an accomplishment. Just running into one while hunting for a deer says nothing about your hunting skills. Hanging it on the wall would be a farce.

If you want to hunt wolves. Go hunt wolves. Same with cats. That's an accomplishment. Just running into one while hunting for a deer says nothing about your hunting skills. Hanging it on the wall would be a farce.
Seriously? mtmuley

Last edited:
I completely disagree with this! Either of these without dogs is an incredible trophy.

C

I am having a seriously hard time understanding why someone is a "FOOL" for passing on wolf.

Maybe fool is a strong word. If you don't want to kill a wolf Hem, don't. Those of us that don't have a problem with it will keep them in check for you. They are damn hard to come by, and if you have the proper tag and have the opportunity, why wouldn't you kill one? Pet one instead maybe? mtmuley

Last edited:
Maybe fool is a strong word. If you don't want to kill a wolf Hem, don't. Those of us that don't have a problem with it will keep them in check for you. They are damn hard to come by, and if you have the proper tag and have the opportunity, why wouldn't you kill one? Pet one instead maybe? mtmuley

Thanks for all that fatherly advice MtMuley.I am still amused that you feel everyone should follow your example of "why wouldn't you kill one".I will refrain from commenting on that line of thinking.Montana wouldn't be what it is without grizz,lions,wolves etc.They belong here.In the case of wolves, measures to manage them in the West are in place, so get after it son,quit dicking around and put a dent in the population.You have my permission.:D

Nobody asked would we kill a wolf? Of course i'd kill a wolf if we had them here, but we do have tons of coyotes, and we don't lose our deer tag when we kill them.

All my answers apply to where I hunt. Colorado. As I already said. Deer tags are hard to get here, and if i'm hunting for a deer to put meat in the freezer. I'm not giving it up to kill a predator. When I hunt for predators I get a tag for them, and go hunt for them.

You can disagree with me, it doesn't matter to me. I have my own standards. If i'm hunting for deer, and just happen to see a cat by accident with no effort on my part, except to shoot it. I've accomplished nothing but kill it. I didn't hunt for it. If you don't think there's a difference. Get a cat tag, and with no dogs see if you can kill one.

On my first deer hunt 40 plus years ago, I passed on killing a coyote, Told my older brother back at camp. He chewed my ass off. You know how many deer that coyote kills. I would shoot the wolf.

I have seen only one other coyote in hunting season, my daughters antelope hunt. I said give my the rifle and let me shoot that coyote. I missed.

The one I passed on was at 30 yards. The one I missed was 300 yards.

Can't you sell a wolve hide for something like a $1,000. While the meat may taste bad it would make for an incredible story.

Nobody asked would we kill a wolf? Of course i'd kill a wolf if we had them here, but we do have tons of coyotes, and we don't lose our deer tag when we kill them.

All my answers apply to where I hunt. Colorado. As I already said. Deer tags are hard to get here, and if i'm hunting for a deer to put meat in the freezer. I'm not giving it up to kill a predator. When I hunt for predators I get a tag for them, and go hunt for them.

You can disagree with me, it doesn't matter to me. I have my own standards. If i'm hunting for deer, and just happen to see a cat by accident with no effort on my part, except to shoot it. I've accomplished nothing but kill it. I didn't hunt for it. If you don't think there's a difference. Get a cat tag, and with no dogs see if you can kill one.

And therein lies the problem. This is a discussion about the ability to use Idaho Non-resident deer tags to kill a lion, bear or wolf and has nothing to do with Colorado.

It doesn't change my answer. I don't kill game, because I just run across one. I like to hunt the game I shoot. You may not understand this, but if the hunt is too easy. I don't pull the trigger. I picked that up from my dad when he was teaching me and my brother to hunt.

One of the things I love about Alaska is the ability to down size with your tag.

Bingo! We have a winner.

Not really. We have plenty of cats, and a few wolves in Colorado. It doesn't change my answer, and I explained why. Even if we could buy OTC deer tags. My answer is the same. I don't kill just to kill.

Sorry, but you're not the bingo winner.

This plays in nicely to my new hunting theory... "I know nothing, I have no skills and I'm outta shape" having been made an ass of so many times by animals I feel it's time to admit it. Beats the Cocky Magee attitude that seems to dominate much of the online hunting community.

It's not killing to kill. I believe they (cats/wolves) should be respected, however I also believe they should be managed. And since 1 in 1,000 people actually target them, albeit with a very low success rate (without hounds), we should take an opportunity to harvest a lion or wolf when we get it like a bonus OIL hunt.
It is a crying shame that since the wolves took hold in Idaho the road hunting success rate has fallen dramatically;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back