MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Would you rather - Trophy solo or Shooter w/buddy

Hammsolo

Hey all, Just for fun... Would you rather dump that buck of a lifetime on a solo-alpine hunt or bring home a couple of shooters with your favorite hunting partner?

I've made a habit of shooters with partners. Never killed the biggest critter in the unit.

You know what? I'm ok with that. Last couple hunts i haven't been able to have my hunting partners with me during the hunt and it was kind of hollow.

but this next tag i'm gonna draw, I'll be applying solo. If i draw it i'm gonna really try hard to have my partners help me scout.

I find it really hard to hunt for trophies when you are with a partner. My last hunt, my partner shot one on the first day and I started to feel pressure to pull the trigger on the first decent one I saw. I like having the company on the hunt though. I would probably take the camaraderie over the trophy any time. An extra set of eyes never hurts.

Great question. "Shooter" still implies pretty big -- depending on who's definition you use -- though perhaps not quite "trophy" grade, so I'll expand it a little further to ask: trophy solo or "legal" with buddies?

Last year I went West with my brother, cousin, and 2 buddies. We all filled our tags with legal bucks, but none were trophies and probably none were "shooters" for many on this Forum, but we had a BLAST. Maybe it's my age, but hands-down I'd rather share the successes and failures of a hunt with good friends and family.

I've made a habit of shooters with partners. Never killed the biggest critter in the unit.

You know what? I'm ok with that. Last couple hunts i haven't been able to have my hunting partners with me during the hunt and it was kind of hollow.

but this next tag i'm gonna draw, I'll be applying solo. If i draw it i'm gonna really try hard to have my partners help me scout.

I like both for different reasons, but as I’ve matured (gotten old and crusty) I’ve found there’s nothing better than a solid hunting partner. Helps with the haul out too!

I guess that since I often hunt solo,,,or at least I did back in the day, I'll take the trophy solo.

The last number of years, my youngest brother is my hunting partner on most hunts. I really enjoyed the hunt when he killed his first bull elk.

There are positives to both scenarios. However,, I would never let the lack of a hunting partner from stopping me from hunting.

Dhoot
Great question. "Shooter" still implies pretty big -- depending on who's definition you use -- though perhaps not quite "trophy" grade, so I'll expand it a little further to ask: trophy solo or "legal" with buddies?

Last year I went West with my brother, cousin, and 2 buddies. We all filled our tags with legal bucks, but none were trophies and probably none were "shooters" for many on this Forum, but we had a BLAST. Maybe it's my age, but hands-down I'd rather share the successes and failures of a hunt with good friends and family.

Shooter is in the eye of the beholder like arts beauty. I’m implying your shooter. Now don’t get greedy...

I'm another one that hunts alone. My deer hunts coincide with 1st rifle elk season, so most of my buddies are doing that. I like it, some solace, peace, not having to plan around anyone else's wants. Gives me a few days to just be me, and do my own thing. Im not a trophy hunter , so that's not the appealing part of your question.

I guess that since I often hunt solo,,,or at least I did back in the day, I'll take the trophy solo.

The last number of years, my youngest brother is my hunting partner on most hunts. I really enjoyed the hunt when he killed his first bull elk.

There are positives to both scenarios. However,, I would never let the lack of a hunting partner from stopping me from hunting.

Different experiences = different rewards That’s math!!!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back