Caribou Gear

Worth getting a rifle bipod?

I've used sticks for the last number of years and done well enough. Used a bipod previously, but it was not a swivel model. Strongly considering getting another, but it will be a swivel as shooting across slopes is too slow with the non-swivel.

I have used my pack for a rest when terrain allowed for it many times. I used to use light weight sticks, then bought a Primos Trigger StickCDC3623C-D6D3-4F93-AFAB-8659E0EFAA99.jpeg tripod after an Alberta moose hunt when I had the opportunity to shoot a moose off a set (Easy to set up on uneven ground). I don’t always take them but often using as one of my trekking poles. Can’t shoot prone from them.
Once I quartered an antelope and hung the meat out in the open in grizzly country overnight from them because it got dark and my frame pack was back at the truck. The big drawback is they are heavy but I don’t want another ounce added to my rifle...

Last edited:
Ya I made a fairly thin post. I hunt out her in California for deer and pigs. 95% of the hunting is in the hills so my concern would be finding a comfortable shooting position while laying/sitting along a hillside. My worry with a bipod is that I would have trouble making a quick, efficient set up as I'm fiddling with the bipod to make the rifle leveled vs just shooting off the pack. Not too knowledgeable on bipods so I don't know if this is a valid concern?
I have been using a bipod for the last couple of years out here in CA and the times I went without one I wished I had one. I would say get one and try it, its not like its permanently on your rifle. If you like it keep it, if not sell it.

I have been using a bipod for the last couple of years out here in CA and the times I went without one I wished I had one. I would say get one and try it, its not like its permanently on your rifle. If you like it keep it, if not sell it.
That was my exact worry of not having one, getting into a situation and thinking "Man, I really wish I had one right now." Mine came in the mail this week so I'm very excited to have it and put it to use!

Hunting eastern Montana I use bipod. When I head west for elk I usually pull the bipod. Less weight to pack plus the snows usually to deep to use them anyways. Most of my mountain elk are either off hand or leaning against a tree or over a log

I like my Harris pods, but have just recently added an Atlas to the mix. If you can swallow the price, I find the atlas much nicer.
Does the Atlas swivel? How is the weight? Those are the two things I don’t like about my Harris. I have used it successfully for years but each preseason I try to find a way to drop it for a different method. Maybe if I could find a way to quickly attach/detach i would throw it in my pack and just add for a stalk.

Does the Atlas swivel? How is the weight? Those are the two things I don’t like about my Harris. I have used it successfully for years but each preseason I try to find a way to drop it for a different method. Maybe if I could find a way to quickly attach/detach i would throw it in my pack and just add for a stalk.
The model I have has both pan and cant swivel. It also has quick detach. If I recall, weight of my model is about 12 ounces vs 9-ish for harris.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back