Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Worth getting a rifle bipod?

I recommend a bipod. I run the Harris 12-25'', which allows a stable platform in both a prone and sitting position. If you want to use your pack as an additional platform if the ground isn't ideal because of grass or whatever, you can still rest your rifle w/ folded bipod on the pack.

Depends on a few factors for me. To just say yes or no with the information you provided is hard to do. I carry one about 50% of the time. I feel totally confident in shooting off a pack though

I use a bipod, it does add to the carry weight but for me the trade off is worth it to be able to shoot more accurately. Generally use in more open country but used it in timber also.

Depends on a few factors for me. To just say yes or no with the information you provided is hard to do. I carry one about 50% of the time. I feel totally confident in shooting off a pack though

Ya I made a fairly thin post. I hunt out her in California for deer and pigs. 95% of the hunting is in the hills so my concern would be finding a comfortable shooting position while laying/sitting along a hillside. My worry with a bipod is that I would have trouble making a quick, efficient set up as I'm fiddling with the bipod to make the rifle leveled vs just shooting off the pack. Not too knowledgeable on bipods so I don't know if this is a valid concern?

My worry with a bipod is that I would have trouble making a quick, efficient set up as I'm fiddling with the bipod to make the rifle leveled vs just shooting off the pack.
My thoughts are if you need a quick shot, shoot off the pack or whatever works. The bipods will come in handy for longer shots, which in theory you should have (take) more time for anyways. I've used lightweight shooting sticks for shots that don't work from prone, but try to go prone if possible for anything 250+. I think you'll find it a matter of personal preference, and you won't know the answer until you try some bipods out.

My thoughts are if you need a quick shot, shoot off the pack or whatever works. The bipods will come in handy for longer shots, which in theory you should have (take) more time for anyways. I've used lightweight shooting sticks for shots that don't work from prone, but try to go prone if possible for anything 250+. I think you'll find it a matter of personal preference, and you won't know the answer until you try some bipods out.
Awesome. Thanks man!

I'm assuming a swivel is beneficial?

My antelope hunting setup has an attached Caldwell bipod - good for prone shots after sneaking over a ridge. For shots that I can't prone for I have a Bog tripod from Amazon. A little heavier to carry than a bipod, but the extra stability is worth it for me.

My antelope hunting setup has an attached Caldwell bipod - good for prone shots after sneaking over a ridge. For shots that I can't prone for I have a Bog tripod from Amazon. A little heavier to carry than a bipod, but the extra stability is worth it for me.
Do you prefer the 6-9" or 9-13"?

I’ve never had one attached to my rifle, but pretty much always carry one with me. It doubles as a trekking pole for me and has enabled some quick shots. For me it’s quicker than getting set on a pack.

I'm assuming a swivel is beneficial?
Not sure I really like the swivel, again thinking for longer shots I don't like to be doing a lot of panning. Maybe on a better model, I have some Leapers and when I swivel it the rifle cants to either side since the side with the leg closer to you gets lifted higher. Maybe other models don't do this. I try to get set for each shot with the bipods aligned straight instead of swiveling.

I’ve never had one attached to my rifle, but pretty much always carry one with me. It doubles as a trekking pole for me and has enabled some quick shots. For me it’s quicker than getting set on a pack.
Yeah I like a hand held one for anything needing a faster shot, but have been trying to force myself to shoot prone for longer shots, so I've been liking 9-13" mounted ones for that.

Ya I made a fairly thin post. I hunt out her in California for deer and pigs. 95% of the hunting is in the hills so my concern would be finding a comfortable shooting position while laying/sitting along a hillside. My worry with a bipod is that I would have trouble making a quick, efficient set up as I'm fiddling with the bipod to make the rifle leveled vs just shooting off the pack. Not too knowledgeable on bipods so I don't know if this is a valid concern?
I have used a bipod on my antelope/deer rifle for quite a few years and have actually become fairly quick at setting it up. Practice. I use a Harris. I can't remember the length, but it adjusts so I can shoot sitting or prone. I would recommend one, but I think it depends on the kind of hunting you are doing and the rifle you use. They are quite useful in open country. But I would never put one on my 9.3x62. Just seems like it would be a disgrace, haha.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back