Worst wild game dish

I tried to pan fry a mountain whitefish like you would a trout. I’d always heard that you only smoke mountain whitefish, but had to try it anyhow. I thought they eat the same thing as trout, why would they be bad. Yuck. My father started laughing when I told him about it, he must of tried it a one time. I’m now a firm believer in the only way to eat mountain whitefish is smoking them.

We had the same rule. And there weren't many. Never come into camp with a loaded gun, always eat what you shoot. Because of this I've shot 1 swamp rabbit and 2 geese :oops:. Learned my lessons quick.

Growing up the rule was if you shot it you ate it. I shot a sage hen once and Dad made me bring it home. Mom is a great wild game cook but even she couldn’t make that thing edible. It tasted like gnawing on a chunk of sagebrush stem.... I ate it though.

We had the same rule. And there weren't many. Never come into camp with a loaded gun, always eat what you shoot. Because of this I've shot 1 swamp rabbit and 2 geese :oops:. Learned my lessons quick.

Swamp rabbit, forgot about those things. I too have only taken one in my life, yuk!

I like to eat ducks but I don't like to eat diver ducks. When they fly in, I let them land and swim around as a live decoy. Wont ever pull the trigger on one again as I don't want someone trying to give me theirs at the end of a hunt (like they are doing me a favor).

used to hunt a phosphate pit in college that was slap full of shovelers, was broke so I ate the hell out of em. But they are nasty.

Bear stew from a friend and they had not trimmed the fat. It left a scum in your mouth that could not be removed. Wild turkey legs so tuff nothing could eat them.

At coues deer camp in AZ about 12 years ago, we had 10 tags in camp and after a couple days, only one or two were filled. Someone got the bright idea that to kill deer, we needed to eat some of less than desirable parts of the one that had been taken already. They cut up the lungs, kidneys, liver, heart and testicles and cooked them in a dutch oven with onion and chilies and made burritos out of it. I think i was part of the minority crowd that thought it was absolutely horrible tasting. a mixture of soft, chewy and tough cuts all mixed into one concoction was not at all pleasant. We did fill 8 more tags the next day so it seemed to work. I can't say i wouldn't try it again if i thought it would bring some good luck but man, i can still taste it. Greasy, pissy, and HOT.

The black bear roast that some jackwagon filled with birdshot while the bear was still alive. It was a roast off his back half, so the shot, or shots, weren’t in self defense. Pisses me off to this day.

Beaver tail. I'd heard for years that it was "considered a delicacy" by mountain men. That was way back before I knew that "considered a delicacy" translates as "even the flies won't go near it". Explains a lot of bad-tempered mountain men.

Snapping turtle. Cleaning it was so disgusting I couldn't even contemplate cooking it, much less eating it.

Snipe is dark, tough, and strong. Much like woodpecker (don't ask).

Freshwater clams. Imagine rubber bands recovered from an old septic tank, then liberally dusted with sand.

40+ years ago I shot a yearling whitetail doe that someone else had wounded, and it had been running hard. Dropped it right next to the truck. I took it home and had it butchered before it even stiffened up. Roasts, chops, everything shrunk up and turned to Vulcanized rubber when cooked. Even the burger was tough.

Turtle is great! Don't get one very often, but driving home from work along the river I see one now and then crossing the road. If it's big enough it doesn't make it across. Let it clean out a couple of days, bleed it out, puff the skin off with a water hose and proceed to butcher. Dredged in flour, browned and then baked until done. Making me hungry just thinking about it!

Am I the only one that has never had anything inedible? Interesting to see some animals in this thread were random outliers. Ducks can be rough especially if my mama is cooking. I also grew up thinking hamburgers and steaks were bad from her cooking as well.
But in the last couple years I've figured out my method for ducks which is very simple and have no issues cooking mergansers in the same pot as wood ducks. Smells fishy when cleaning them but don't taste it. The only meat I've had with an off putting taste was a domestic bar hog. When eaten fresh it tasted like it smelled.

Michelin tires are easier to chew than the last wild turkey breast I chicken fried....and as mentioned up-thread, the drums were worthless. I don't shoot em anymore.

I've had pretty good luck with turkeys, throw them in the smoker with a pot of water. Can be excellent.

Michelin tires are easier to chew than the last wild turkey breast I chicken fried....and as mentioned up-thread, the drums were worthless. I don't shoot em anymore.

fishing ducks are the only thing I won’t eat at this point although I haven’t figured out the right way to cook deer liver.

Beaver tail. I'd heard for years that it was "considered a delicacy" by mountain men. That was way back before I knew that "considered a delicacy" translates as "even the flies won't go near it". Explains a lot of bad-tempered mountain men.

I have had beaver tail. I wouldn't eat it again but it wasn't horrible. We threw it on the grill until the skin would peel off. It is just fat. That's why mountain men liked it. To get fat in their diet. The rest of the beaver was great!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back