Worst wild game dish

Barbary Sheep Rams are terrible no matter what you do with it. I choked them down lathered in BBQ sauces which only made it barely edible. The ewes and lambs can be good, but very little meat on their bodies, which makes hunting them worth doing only once in your life. Best thing to do is grind them into burger and cut them with pork fat and bacon grease until you don't recognize it as being sheep meat anymore.

The barbary in my avatar has been pretty good eating, though he's a younger ram. The backstraps have been a little tough, but all the cuts have had really good flavor.

You would think Hippo would be ok. Along that same thought, my Grandmom grew up in Fort Meyers FL. and when she was a kid, they ate Manatee!. You know that had to be good. Mmm sea cow.

I would be o.k. if I never had walrus hide, moose nose or hippo again! I have had worse, especially in Asia but they would not be considered wild game.

My dad created some nasty creation using a jelly as marinate for duck. It was terrible. We still laugh about it 20 years later. Turned me off on waterfowl for a long time but love a good mallard now.

Plains mule deer pre rut. The last 2 bucks I got were so fat their back straps were marbled and thus those steaks went from my favorite cut of meat to my worst. I have vowed to never shoot a plains mule deer again unless he is sporting an incredible rack.

Mountain mule deer, not an issue.

Smoked javelina. I may have messed it up. Terrible.
I crock potted wild turkey legs last year. Yuck! Tasted gross.
Osso Bucco is one of my favs though.

Grilled duck, no where close to edible for me. Ironically duck is by far my favorite just not on the grill. Cook them whole in a Dutch oven stuffed with fruit basted with butter and garlic on low heat. Btw not talking about divers, those are only good for training the dog!

I dont think I've ever made a really bad dish, some mistakes along the way with cures and such made some thing a bit too salty and some cooking errors, but it's always been edible.

The only things inedible and truly awful came from an AZ cow elk. I tried everything with that meat and it was fricken terrible. It had a mouth coating medicinal flavor that could not be tamed. The dog ate well once I finally gave up.

I destroyed a back strap once, ovened it for an hour at the suggestion of someone. Also did undercooked venison shanks and that was a battle my teeth couldn't win.

That's why these days i cook by my own gut feel not recipes or someone's "trust me" word.

I tried to boil and sous vide the tongue from my elk this year. Granted I had little clue what I was doing, the flavor was weird enough that I'd be reluctant to pack out another.
I can change your mind on elk tongues...PM me. Or - Fedex any tongues to me this fall and I’ll pay shipping :)

I will add to the preponderance of diver duck submissions - a bluebill grilled (no marinade, we may have had some salt and pepper packets) in the parking lot of a friends apartment complex in Madison. “Never-Ever” kind of bad. Like a smoky, chewy pile of long-dead sardines.

I shot a woodcock and fried it up with a ruffed grouse I shot the same day. Not sure why, but the woodcock turned out pretty bad. I cut one of the pieces in half and gave my hunting dog a bite. He carried it a few feet, dropped it on the floor, and then began to roll on in it the same way dogs roll in stuff that smells bad. Crazy stuff. I stopped shooting them after that.

Canada goose hands down. I've only ever had it one way where it was even remotely edible. Some combination of cooking breasts in coca-cola and then crockpot with bbq sauce. Pulled them apart and made sandwiches. It was just ok...no where close to a pulled pork sandwich

Took a whole salton sea spoonie, stuck a stick thru it and roasted it whole over a campfire.. ate half of it telling everyone in camp it was great before someone else was dumb enough to try it..

Edit: there was lots of alcohol involved that night..

Last edited:
Deep fried wild goose. Plucked it, cleaned it out and fried it. Ever since then most goose goes to jerky. Breast are pretty good marinated in orange juice and seared to medium.

I killed a big, old muley buck in Nevada. I don't think even sausage would have made him taste good. Cooking burger was bad. Gave him away, and probably ruined some folks taste for deer meat. mtmuley

I used Hank Shaw recipe for kidneys and livers from a whitetail doe. All I can say is that I tried it and will continue to leave those items in the field. All this talk about goose is reducing my interest in harvesting one. I haven't had any problem with duck though.

Back