Caribou Gear Tarp

Worst wild game dish

We're you thinking they would be good beforehand?
I wasn't thinking it was good, but no way could I have conceived it would be that bad. It was a long time ago, and someone boasted if we're gonna shoot them, we should eat them. Never again. And I have no issue, depending on species, with someone not eating something they shoot. Someone mentioned Goldeneye previously, tried that once too. Never again, but I will shoot one for the wall.

A grouse I shot in Montana had to be the worst bird I've ever tasted. Sacrilege to Randy, I know. I've ate dozens of them growing up around here and they are one of my favorites, but that Montana grouse tasted like he'd been drinking spruce pitch his whole life.

Last edited:
fishing ducks are the only thing I won’t eat at this point although I haven’t figured out the right way to cook deer liver.
The whole trick with any kind of liver is don't overcook it, and don't try to disguise it. If you drown it in onions and bacon and then cook it to very well done, it will live right down to every little kid's nightmares. Dust it with seasoned flour and fry it in bacon grease until it just gets to medium rare or less, then eat it hot. Practice a few times on beef liver. Some folks just plain don't like it, and never will. It doesn't taste like anything else, really, so don't expect it to.

Liver is one of my favorites. Grew eating it and love it. Cannot be in the house while it is cooking. It stinks.

Racoon, dog ate it, I could not even tast it......

There are some glands you have to take out. Personally never cooked one without taking them out but heard that it's rough if you leave them in. Even when trimmed of fat the meat itself has a slight fatty/greasy taste. Very good though.
My girlfriend was at first skeptical then curious about eating it. So I added a coon back quarter when cooking a squirrel gravy. That the shank of the back quarter on my plate. Delicious!

Attachments

• gravy.jpg
    gravy.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 12
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back