Worried about a run on banks?

Cashiers check? Venmo, Zelle.

Meeting for a transaction with 5k in cash just seems like a good way to get robbed.

I could be wrong but it appears to be a cash hold, you could still wire all your money out.
I mean before the virus if you wanted to say take $500 out in nickels you had to put in a special order.

Ned, the rancher selling said 4Runner has never heard of Venmo.
Tough to negotiate with a cashierā€™s check....

Ned, the rancher selling said 4Runner has never heard of Venmo.
Tough to negotiate with a cashierā€™s check....
Fair... to be honest Iā€™ve never made a big purchase that wasnā€™t on a credit card, wire transfer, or check.

I know they are a regular part of life, I just donā€™t have any experience with them.

Yeah fair, given the situation with TP it may become a thing.

I guess Iā€™m more puzzled by the impulse. Like say every bank within 100 miles is out of physical currency, I will still be able to pay all of my bills, shop, etc. So who gives a rip? If we have massive inflation that will effect my bank account just the same as paper money. If the interwebs go down or FDIC fails... well Iā€™m not sure paper is really gonna help.
I think you would be shocked by the % of people in this country who are still on a 100% cash basis. The 2017 numbers showed 7% of Americans didnā€™t have a checking account to even participate in a bank run. I can dig for numbers on people without a credit card, but it is surprisingly high. This is the bifurcation of the economy. To most of us who embraced the 21st century, for better or worse, it seems crazy.

I think you would be shocked by the % of people in this country who are still on a 100% cash basis. The 2017 numbers showed 7% of Americans didnā€™t have a checking account to even participate in a bank run. I can dig for numbers on people without a credit card, but it is surprisingly high. This is the bifurcation of the economy. To most of us who embraced the 21st century, for better or worse, it seems crazy.
Not that shocked. I think credit card rates are something like 60-70%.

I think more point is that 100 years later enough has changed that George Bailey doesnā€™t have anything to worry about.

Limiting withdrawals in any way is a good way to cause a run on banks.

Totally agree, but isnā€™t there already a $500 limit or something like that on ATMs? And you can still take all your money out just not in a duffle bag full of bills...

Totally agree, but isnā€™t there already a $500 limit or something like that on ATMs? And you can still take all your money out just not in a duffle bag full of bills...
I think that's more of a theft thing with atm, not as much security as being physically present in front of another person.

I really don't know what my bank is doing, but I'm not afraid so I guess our doesn't affect me right now. If I was going to buy a boat or something then it might prove difficult

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back