Woofs?

I applied for a Breaks units like I always do. Afterward, I realized I hope I don't draw. Hoping to not draw an LE unit is sad. mtmuley
I didn’t put in this year.. that drive is hard especially if can’t hunt elk in any other district this year..

Reactions: DFS
You can find the counts on FWP’s website. I’m pretty sure you have to contact area biologists for the breakdown of bull/cow and cow/calf numbers.

This is from the pdf (attached) fall elk distribution in the Missouri River Breaks FWP Report - 2018... Thought it holds an interesting contrast to the current, shared in Craig's opening post.

"Understanding the availability of elk, primarily antlerless elk, to hunters is vital to managing elk to population objectives while still providing hunting opportunity for elk on publicly accessible lands. We found that even relatively small geographic areas within an elk population range being managed for restricted hunter access or no hunter access may have a disproportionate affect on elk distribution and prevent effective harvest of female elk to maintain elk populations at objective levels. Our results showed that the majority of the female elk harvest occurred during the rifle season, and the majority of MRB elk spend the rifle hunting season in areas that are accessible to hunters. With a limited amount of areas with no hunter access or restricted hunter access within the hunting season ranges, MRB elk used dense cover, riparian areas and areas away from roads for security. In the Larb Hills, elk are less accessible to hunters during the rifle hunting season, with elk more commonly using no access areas rather than habitat features for security. This situation will limit the effectiveness of antlerless harvest as a tool for reducing population size towards objective levels. In this area, stakeholders may need to determine if they are willing to tolerate a larger elk population, more liberal hunting seasons resulting in higher hunter numbers or longer season length, or provide some level of hunter access to harvest cow elk so the population can be reduced to objective levels. Working cooperatively with stakeholders to provide adequate hunter access and implementing harvest strategies to achieve elk population objectives is needed for effective elk management in this area and other areas of the state. One step in that direction is the recently adopted “shoulder seasons” for many hunting districts in an effort to reduce elk populations. The ultimate goal is to maintain distribution of elk across public and private land, respect landowner concerns, and provide equitable availability of wildlife resources for all Montanan’s."

Attachments

• short-report-mrb-final.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
Why do they want so few elk in the breaks? The populations are about half of what they were about 15 years ago on the north side. They figure there are about 1600 elk in 620, 621, and 622 combined anymore, but they give out approximately 1400 either sex archery permits, around 100 rifle either sex permits, and probably 500 cow tags per year over the last several years. There is a lot of good elk habit in there. I understand the social tolerance issues, but damn!
To save the cowboy...duh.

Under objective, now that's funny, give Hank some time. At the stroke of a pen they'll be at "objective" by the fall season, heck they'll be over objective more likely. You have to remember that now we have our seasons set, we will get the objectives up to what we gave out tags for with the new EMP. That's how its supposed to work right??? #science

I just read the Facebook comments. That was entertaining. I suggest everyone does the same.
If you go read the comments on the FWP Region 6 Facebook post, you will see that it’s the woofs that done it.

Good info Miller. Big thanks for posting this.
Handouts first, general/LE get the leftover.
Good grief.
My disdain just increased 35%.

The world is blessed with a lot of window lickers, especially the ones supporting shoulder seasons and musket hunts.

Bet the deer and antelope numbers are top notch too this year.
This made me laugh. This morning my dad and I were discussing how stupid his cow dog is while looking for all the dead calves in this blizzard. I looked in the back seat….the dog was licking the window. Case closed😂😂

This made me laugh. This morning my dad and I were discussing how stupid his cow dog is while looking for all the dead calves in this blizzard. I looked in the back seat….the dog was licking the window. Case closed😂😂
Sorry to hear about the calves. It's always much needed moisture but sucks it's always right in line with calving

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back