Woodworking Hunt Talkers?

I'm hoping to finish trimming up a couple Black Walnut slabs today. It's my first attempt at glueing 2 slabs together for a coffee table. I figured the worst that could happen is I end up with firewood.
Buy a biscuit cutting router bit and put the slabs together with biscuit joinery. A word of advice though. The biscuits that Home Depot sells are sometimes a bit thick for the groove cut by router. Check them before gluing. You may need to thin the biscuits a bit with sandpaper first.

First attempt at cabinetry, still needs door handles installed, but it's in place and in use. Didn't turn out too bad considering I'm working with a 1980's vintage craftsman contractor grade table saw.
Plan is to keep going down the wall with a set of base and wall cabinets as time allows.
Didn't realize I had quite so many fasteners, will need to come up with something a little more organized with the future cabinets.
20230709_120513.jpg20230709_120526.jpg20230709_144724.jpg

First attempt at cabinetry, still needs door handles installed, but it's in place and in use. Didn't turn out too bad considering I'm working with a 1980's vintage craftsman contractor grade table saw.
Plan is to keep going down the wall with a set of base and wall cabinets as time allows.
Didn't realize I had quite so many fasteners, will need to come up with something a little more organized with the future cabinets.
View attachment 283352View attachment 283353View attachment 283354
Did you build your doors also?

Did you build your doors also?
I did. They chewed up a lot of time cutting all the dados for the rails and styles and only having enough clamps to glue one at a time. Don't know of I'll go as fancy with the next ones I put in the garage.

Recently, I had brought back some old cherry boards from Pennsylvania that my dad had made from a tree on our property when I was growing up. The wood is at least 30 years old and I decided to make a desk for myself since I work remotely. The thing that made me proud of this project was the fact that there isn't a single fastener in the entire thing. All joints were done with a mortise and tenon.PXL_20220121_194543626.jpg
original_4316a365-4ad8-4417-a358-d8945c0bac60_PXL_20220126_000241165.jpg

PXL_20220124_172616457.jpg
PXL_20220127_232627704.jpg

Recently, I had brought back some old cherry boards from Pennsylvania that my dad had made from a tree on our property when I was growing up. The wood is at least 30 years old and I decided to make a desk for myself since I work remotely. The thing that made me proud of this project was the fact that there isn't a single fastener in the entire thing. All joints were done with a mortise and tenon.View attachment 283496
View attachment 283495

View attachment 283497
View attachment 283498
Looks good.
Amazing how much cherry and chestnut used to be all over PA. Now even the ash is gone.

Recently, I had brought back some old cherry boards from Pennsylvania that my dad had made from a tree on our property when I was growing up. The wood is at least 30 years old and I decided to make a desk for myself since I work remotely. The thing that made me proud of this project was the fact that there isn't a single fastener in the entire thing. All joints were done with a mortise and tenon.View attachment 283496
View attachment 283495

View attachment 283497
View attachment 283498
Wood is inherently beautiful. It's even better when it has a sentimental background to it. Did you glue the top also?

Wood is inherently beautiful. It's even better when it has a sentimental background to it. Did you glue the top also?
The top is attached to the base by a mortise and tenon joint at each corner, so yes - those are glued in.

Honestly, I was surprised at how sturdy everything ended up being!

The top is attached to the base by a mortise and tenon joint at each corner, so yes - those are glued in.

Honestly, I was surprised at how sturdy everything ended up being!
The only drawback to mortise and tenon is joints loosening over time due to constant swelling and shrinking of the wood as seasons and humidity levels change. Screws don't swell or shrink.

The only drawback to mortise and tenon is joints loosening over time due to constant swelling and shrinking of the wood as seasons and humidity levels change. Screws don't swell or shrink.
There's gremlins that sneak in when you least expect it and loosen the screws on the legs of chairs. It's a fact, I read it on the internet.

I build with M&T joints.
Never had a piece come apart, good glue and finish.
Looking at my G Grandpas wash basin stand. Bloodstone top , walnut, 1866. No T&G joints loose, finish almost gone from age. Shellac.

I build with M&T joints.
Never had a piece come apart, good glue and finish.
Looking at my G Grandpas wash basin stand. Bloodstone top , walnut, 1866. No T&G joints loose, finish almost gone from age. Shellac.
Don't you live in New Mexico where it's dry as a popcorn fart year round? May be an explanation. Incidentally, shellac is the best moisture barrier finish, undoubtedly because it's soft and moves with the wood as it expands and contracts. Also why it's one of the least durable finishes. Made from squished bugs, in case you didn't know. I ain't licking that table!

Don't you live in New Mexico where it's dry as a popcorn fart year round? May be an explanation. Incidentally, shellac is the best moisture barrier finish, undoubtedly because it's soft and moves with the wood as it expands and contracts. Also why it's one of the least durable finishes. Made from squished bugs, in case you didn't know. I ain't licking that table!
Oh my wide plank maple table would show that when it does get moist it swells and will be bone dry the next week. It can swell a quarter inch in a week.
My oak bookcase is all T&G joints ,even the back panels. Wiping varnish & wax. Built on the coast . Lived in the fog & sun for 20 years.
Not a loose joint in the thing. Not a crack showing on the panel ends.

I'll put my T&G joints up against any dowel or bisquit any day.
Never seen a Greene & Greene, Stickley get loose joints.

I have a question for all you wood wizards. I have made a few signs for a couple people and a couple for myself. I take a decent slab, free hand write it out then free hand router it. Several coats of clear exterior sealer with painted letters. I got a request for this one the other day and it's just about finished. It's made from Black Walnut with another Walnut graft. It's right at the crotch where I slabbed it. My question is what do you think it's worth, or what would you pay for a custom sign like it? I already told them how much before I started so that's not an issue. I'm curious as to what you guys would think it's worth if I get a call to make another one.IMG_20230717_113515504.jpgIMG_20230718_140327459.jpg

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back