Yeti GOBOX Collection

Woodworking Hunt Talkers?

I just sticker it and stack it and let the GA sun do the rest.
My most available wood is grey pine or digger pine as we call it. It's not much for structural but has its value.the biggest issue is that it will pretzel more times than not. I have some 10' 4x6 that got 4" of warp and twist in a few months of drying. Like I said, I'm jealous of your trees. Your doing some beautiful work.

Most of the trees I have been sawing up are red oak, white oak, sweet gum and poplar.

Oddly enough, living in GA, I have yet to saw a pine log on my mill.

The sweet gum is the tree that twists the most for me and its as hard as a diamond when it dried...

Lash them down to a flat surface and they should stay pretty straight.

I have a question for all you wood wizards. I have made a few signs for a couple people and a couple for myself. I take a decent slab, free hand write it out then free hand router it. Several coats of clear exterior sealer with painted letters. I got a request for this one the other day and it's just about finished. It's made from Black Walnut with another Walnut graft. It's right at the crotch where I slabbed it. My question is what do you think it's worth, or what would you pay for a custom sign like it? I already told them how much before I started so that's not an issue. I'm curious as to what you guys would think it's worth if I get a call to make another one.View attachment 284598View attachment 284599
that is a nice sign for sure. to me it seems that prices for that kind of work is all over the board. have you looked around to see what similar work sells foe in your area?

that is a nice sign for sure. to me it seems that prices for that kind of work is all over the board. have you looked around to see what similar work sells foe in your area?
I have no area. My nearest stop sign is an hour away. I know that I made it cheap as hell. I made probably 3 bucks an hour.

I have a question for all you wood wizards. I have made a few signs for a couple people and a couple for myself. I take a decent slab, free hand write it out then free hand router it. Several coats of clear exterior sealer with painted letters. I got a request for this one the other day and it's just about finished. It's made from Black Walnut with another Walnut graft. It's right at the crotch where I slabbed it. My question is what do you think it's worth, or what would you pay for a custom sign like it? I already told them how much before I started so that's not an issue. I'm curious as to what you guys would think it's worth if I get a call to make another one.View attachment 284598View attachment 284599
I'm terrible at pricing and always charge less than what I should I'm sure. I tried to figure a base price for the wood I use and then go from there. So for some like a nice slab of crotch black walnut I might would say $40-50 then a few hours of labor might go to $75.
But like I said probably under priced, shoot I have two decoys I'm carving right now for a guy and only charging $60 a piece. Most guys around here are in the $100's per decoy.

If you're happy making it for the price you sold it for then don't worry about the lack of profit. Half the time I carve stuff and give it away just because I enjoy making stuff and seeing people enjoy having it.

I'm terrible at pricing and always charge less than what I should I'm sure. I tried to figure a base price for the wood I use and then go from there. So for some like a nice slab of crotch black walnut I might would say $40-50 then a few hours of labor might go to $75.
But like I said probably under priced, shoot I have two decoys I'm carving right now for a guy and only charging $60 a piece. Most guys around here are in the $100's per decoy.

If you're happy making it for the price you sold it for then don't worry about the lack of profit. Half the time I carve stuff and give it away just because I enjoy making stuff and seeeing people enjoy having it.
I quoted it at 50. I'd have been happier at 75 when I was done. I'm just thinking about if there's a next time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back