Caribou Gear

Woodworking Hunt Talkers?

Also, on this cherry case, as opposed to the oak ones in my earlier post, I offset dado cut the ends before cutting the box joints with jig. That way I was only cutting box joints through half the width of dimension lumber. My short router bit could not cut through 3/4" oak lumber in the other boxes I made without two passes. The box joint cuts were consequently not very clean. And the cherry lumber was actually 7/8" so definitely needed to do something else. The result was interesting in that the sides had classic box joint appearance while top and bottom show dado joints.
I have never made box joints. I always thought they were done on the table saw

I have never made box joints. I always thought they were done on the table saw
Get a router jig. It can be done on a table saw but very awkward if the piece is long like the sides of the gun case. Requires standing the board on end and keeping it vertical while pushing through the table against the fence. A long board wants to wobble. Hard to control. Also very tedious as only a blade width can be cut out for each pass.

I was given marching orders a couple weeks ago that my daughter needed a lofted Fram for here bed. Since it is firearm deer season here in Illinois this weekend and I don't want to be anywhere near the woods, I spent the weekend making sawdust in the garage.

IMG_1606.jpg

It turned out just the way she wanted and it was a lot of fun to have her helping. She really enjoyed it and I think I may have made her into a lifelong woodworker.

It’s not a fine wood working project per say, but it is a wood project, and one that is cool pretty cool. One of the science teachers at the school I teach at is a big water fowl hunter. He approached me about building some nesting boxes as a co-teaching project between science and tech.ed.

Sounds good to me.

The tech ed kids laid the ground work making jigs, fixtures, CNC programs and a plan of procedures. It took them about 6-7 class periods to get everything ready for the science kids.

When the Science kids arrived they were able to manufacture 6 nesting boxes from rough sawn to completion in 80 minutes.

Attachments

• D745F784-1C1E-4BFD-A5BD-8B30C8D9C91E.jpeg
    D745F784-1C1E-4BFD-A5BD-8B30C8D9C91E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
I work for a custom woodworking contractor in Chicago. This is far from traditional woodworking but is the kinda stuff we get to do. The pics are from the worlds largest Starbucks that opened last year and the stairs are from the Bank of America headquarters. 96D15B8F-674F-424E-993F-1D18999A71F3.jpegFC614997-438A-4591-96CA-A266AF4732B3.jpeg13598644-69EC-474D-8265-9EA085AAB5AE.jpegDFCDDEF2-6AC0-41CF-A29B-6663F8716104.jpeg3AD08857-9897-44BE-B322-6229225C54F9.jpeg

I'm an amateur, but at times pretty ambitious. I absolutely love timber frame structures, so I figured I'd bring it to my backyard. My dad and I spent months reading and learning how the heck to make this thing... and here is the product.
We started out with hammer and chisel on the joinery... and then I ended up purchasing a chain mortiser (best money ever spent). I live in a pretty warm climate, but these crisp mornings sipping coffee underneath it make me reminisce about fall and all things deer and elk... just as God intended:)

Attachments

• IMG_3479.JPG
    IMG_3479.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3480.JPG
    IMG_3480.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3481.JPG
    IMG_3481.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0173.JPG
    IMG_0173.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0182.JPG
    IMG_0182.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 27
Damn, I wanted to tell you how to make all sorts of wood products and burn patterns on them, but here in the comments whole HOUSES made of wood. I feel inferior, as if I came to the gym for the first time among the jocks. Okay, so. I make different wood products and burn cool patterns on them. I started doing this when a friend of mine recommended Toolschief to me to keep me busy with something in my spare time, now I make custom products and earn a little money on it. The guy above is just a $*)Q!#@$ gazebo! I envy you kindly, honestly, ha ha. I wonder - what kind of tree is this? It looks really very nice to look at , all these natural patterns on the wood, damn, very cool!

Last edited:
A little bit of an unusual woodworking project. The campground I work at had a big red oak that started leaning towards a cabin and had to be cut down. I cut a cookie of the butt and mounted it so the growth rings could be seen. I labeled when a few important events took place throughout the tree's 128 year life. Sometimes I get desperate to put my forestry degree to use.Northern Red Oak.jpg
Northern Red Oak 2.jpg

Back