Wolves and lions will save the trees....

Conifer encroachment.
Back when I was in college I viewed pictures of various areas of the west taken back at the turn of the century And modern pictures of the same area. It was pretty telling.

That's a huge part of it for sure. Loss of wetlands and poor management after logging as well come to bear as well.

Save the Aspens, bring back the beaver.

That's a huge part of it for sure. Loss of wetlands and poor management after logging as well come to bear as well.

Save the Aspens, bring back the beaver.
I’m amazed at the amount of habitat/restoration projects around me that have different views on beavers. One will be pro beaver, the next anti. Anadromous fish, farm country, logging country, etc make for an interesting mid of views and opinions

Just gonna cut to the chase here. I really don't need to read the OP's article because I have all the facts I need.I got them from the interweb and Fox News. Then I read a paper from the Center for Biological Diversity on predator behavior modification. I've got both sides covered now.

We can use woofs to save the aspens. We will capture them all, teach them to eat horse meat and their tweak their hunting behavior to make them herd the wild horses into ketch pens. (maybe we'll need to breed in a little border collie DNA.

Then we'll turn them loose again in the sage brush prairie. They will round up all the feral horses for us. We will reward them with horse burger treats. Once all the Mustangs (see what I did there...) are rounded up, we will spay and neuter them and set them free again. We are not monsters with a god complex who would simply kill them, after all. We only want to manipulate them a little.

After a 1000 years or so, the sage lands will be restored to their former glory and the elk and deer will move back out of the high country.

The cougars will be used to save the wild sheep. We will train them to eat only meadow muffins and pack goats. Anything that transmits MOVI.

In order to test the effectiveness of our behavioral modifications, we will put them inside captive deer and elk farms. If they don't eat the captive cervids, they are ready. If they DO eat the captive cervids, it will be because they sensed they had CWD and could not resist. CWD SOLVED.

Say Cheese - Donations of WSU Cougar Gold or Viking Pepper Jack graciously accepted.

Wolves also eat elk and deer with hoof rot and CWD so are they helping or hurting trees when they do that?

I am getting ready to start a business of selling empty paint buckets. I am going to name it, “Five gallons of wishful thinking that will save the world.” It will only cost $99.99 to feel good for a little bit.
Kinda like this? These bundles sell for twice the amount of "store bought " firewood.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210621-135723_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210621-135723_Gallery.jpg
    452.6 KB · Views: 16
I live 30 minutes from the Pando clone and drive through there frequently. It is surrounded by an 8ft high deer fence. Deer are not killing the trees and neither are cattle. Truth be told the deer herd on the fish lake unit is hurting and there are minimal numbers in this area to begin with so even with no fencing little would happen. This article is pretty much a load of crap in my opinion.

Gentlemen, I was also dubious until I watched -- Ice Age, The meltdown.-- Scary stuff ! ;)

Seriously, Canada, especially B.C. and Alberto have not escaped the beetle/forest problem, and we already have wolves and mountain lions. A lot of them.

Ben, Ken or Gerald will be along to add the proper meme to this post 🤣
I think @Hunting Wife has taken over :cool:

Back to the aspens, lots of rationale behind their retreat above but I believe (worth only the two cents predicated) that root and root-collar diseases (shoestring root rot for one) and fungi like hypoxylon contribute significantly. Canker fungus gains entry into trees through various wounds on branches, eventually growing into the main stem where it girdles and kills trees.

Aspen are basal and vegetative sprouters and produce root systems that grow well past their drip lines in search of nutrients, oxygen and moisture. A 50 feet tall can easily have a 25 foot root spread and new trees (sprouted) are genetically identical to the parent tree…problems with that as well.

Soap box relinquished and change back for the two cents if desired…line forms to the left.

Pando isn't the only inbred organism in Utah......

giphy.gif

Depends on what you consider evolution? The theory of evolution, meaning the universe was formed billions of years ago is just that, a theory. To many holes in the theory to be fact.

Srsly. We all know that the Mayan creation story is the only true one:

Tepeu the maker and Gucumatz the feathered spirit created the world with their thoughts. They created beings to look after their creation. First, they made animals of the sky and land but needed a being that could properly communicate, so they made man. They made him out of clay, but he crumbled apart. Then, they tried making him out of wood but he was empty-headed and hearted. Finally, they made men out of corn, and these men were empathetic and intelligent.

Depends on what you consider evolution? The theory of evolution, meaning the universe was formed billions of years ago is just that, a theory. To many holes in the theory to be fact.
"Fact" is not a measure of how well supported a scientific concept is. Hypothesis, theory, law. The theory of evolution is based on many facts, and is the most well supported explanation for what it is explaining. The beauty of science is the preemptive acceptance that any theory or even a law cannot be completely proven true, only proven false. Until it is proven false, the empirical evidence says evolution is real.

In a nutshell, scientific theories are only as strong as current human knowledge.

Static ---> expanding universe, etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back