Wolf Quota of 186 approved.

shoots-straight

The commission approved the recommendation from the Dept. for a quota of 186 wolves in Montana. I think that they have been receiving lots of heat from people blaming them for problems arising from the situation. This quota will stay separate from depredation culling that will take place.

There we quite a few sportsman's groups testifying. Our club had 3 different members that represented 3 different organizations. MBA, Montana Wildlife Federation, Wild Sheep Federation, along with a few anti hunting groups all testified. One group I didn't see there was the "cutting edge" new group in Montana, SFW.

One group I didn't see there was the "cutting edge" new group in Montana, SFW.

:rolleyes:

What number were you guys pushing for?
I remember that the MWF was behind the 186 quota.

Now if Malloy throws us a bone, this season can do a lot towards helping out the situation.

We supported 216.

Our representative for the club just asked Dan Vermillion, to pass along some info to his state senator, Debbie Barret. He asked (on his own) if Dan would ask Debbie to stay out of wildlife management. I don't think that was on topic, and got a lot of chuckles.

The commission approved the recommendation from the Dept. for a quota of 186 wolves in Montana. I think that they have been receiving lots of heat from people blaming them for problems arising from the situation. This quota will stay separate from depredation culling that will take place.

There we quite a few sportsman's groups testifying. Our club had 3 different members that represented 3 different organizations. MBA, Montana Wildlife Federation, Wild Sheep Federation, along with a few anti hunting groups all testified. One group I didn't see there was the "cutting edge" new group in Montana, SFW.

Quota of 186? Wasn't 2009's only 75? And IIRC montana hunters didnt even fill that quota?

It's going to be real interesting to see the number after this fall/winter. I don't think its going to change much in the #'s killed.

When the wolves were "reintroduced", I think in the the mid 90's, was this the plan by the MT Fish and Wildlife? Or did they think the wolves would just naturally be kept in check like the National Park Service did with the Elk inside Theodore Roosevelt NP here in ND? Just curious because I don't know a lot about what the plan was in MT.

Quota of 186? Wasn't 2009's only 75? And IIRC montana hunters didnt even fill that quota?

It's going to be real interesting to see the number after this fall/winter. I don't think its going to change much in the #'s killed.

Montana filled their quota pretty quick, Idaho's never got filled.
Montana's season was going to be open til December 31 if need be, and i think the quota was filled Nov. 15-18 somewhere in there.

Thanks for the info Randy. So i guess that is evidence that MT hunters are better wolf hunters than Idaho hunters? ;) ;) hahahahahaha

Thanks for the info Randy. So i guess that is evidence that MT hunters are better wolf hunters than Idaho hunters? ;) ;) hahahahahaha

We really didn't have that many to fill.This year will be a test. Idaho went to electronic calls and trapping for this coming year. Montana will have to liberalize the season too.

Idaho is also kicking around the idea of a higher quota. Not sure what a higher one would accomplish, since last years wasn't met.

Trapping will really help Tone.

Until a few Welfare Rancher's get a few of there Angus-crosses or their Peruvian sheepherder's sheep dogs caught in a trap, then we will get to see the Welfare Ranchers shooting trappers in defense of their livestock.....

That should make for good entertainment..... :D

Until a few Welfare Rancher's get a few of there Angus-crosses or their Peruvian sheepherder's sheep dogs caught in a trap, then we will get to see the Welfare Ranchers shooting trappers in defense of their livestock.....

That should make for good entertainment..... :D

WTF, sometimes no post at all is better. Good example Jose'

You don't think it will be entertaining to watch Welfare Ranchers shooting trappers? If the Welfare Ranchers want to shoot wolves every time one of their dogs get killed, they will certainly want to shoot trappers every time one of their dogs gets snagged by a leg-hold trap....

Good entertainment in the high valleys.....

You think Ranchers aren't using trapping as a means of predator control now? Come on. They do know how to live with trapping. Unlike millions of Urbanites.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrturtle
Back