Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Wolf News

BigHornRam

Wolf plan has critics, backers
By MATTHEW BROWN
Associated Press writer Wednesday, July 18, 2007

CODY -- Shielded by law from hunters, gray wolf populations boomed in the Northern Rockies over the last decade at the expense of some big game herds that represent a sure meal for the resurgent carnivores. But the balance of power in the region's forests could soon tilt against those 1,300 wolves.

Federal officials are seeking to give Idaho, Montana and Wyoming wider latitude to kill wolves that prey on big game species or threaten domestic animals. As public hearings on the proposal began Wednesday, state officials and some ranchers welcomed a plan they said could help put wolves in check more than a decade after they were reintroduced to the region.

"This is something we need," said Allen Jaggi, a Wyoming state representative from Lyman. "We're in a hell of a mess. We're losing elk. We're losing domestic livestock."

Another pending U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service proposal would go much further, allowing public hunting of wolves by stripping them of protection under the Endangered Species Act. With that idea facing a near-certain legal challenge -- which could hang it up in court possibly for years -- federal officials said the big game protection proposal gives states at least an interim measure to deal with problem wolves.

Representatives of environmental groups argued Tuesday for the idea to be dropped. They said it was a thinly veiled tactic to let states kill wolves before their federal protection is lifted.

"This is their way of making it very, very easy to kill wolves while they are still on the endangered list," said Jesse Timberlake with Defenders of Wildlife. "We would be killing something for fulfilling their natural role in ecosystem dynamics."

Timberlake and other critics pointed out that elk populations in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming are generally within the desired range set by state wildlife agencies, with only a few exceptions.

State wildlife officials said while that is true regionwide, individual herds have suffered drastic declines and some have seen newborn calf numbers drop to unsustainable levels.

Rules for killing wolves were last loosened in 2005, when ranchers gained leeway to shoot wolves for harassing or chasing livestock. Before that, wolves could only be shot when caught grasping or biting cows, sheep or other livestock.

In the two years since that change, about 30 wolves have been shot by landowners, said Ed Bangs, who heads the federal wolf recovery effort in the Northern Rockies. That's versus about a dozen killed by landowners from 1994 to 2005.

Through 2006, federal wildlife agents killed an additional 495 wolves, primarily following conflicts with livestock.

But wolves' killing their natural prey has not previously been addressed.

Idaho sought federal permission in 2005 to kill more than 50 wolves preying on elk in the Clearwater National Forest near the Montana border. The state wanted to knock back the area's wolf population by 75 percent. Idaho ultimately shelved the proposal after realizing it did not meet federal law.

The new rule would legitimize such plans. States would first have to prove wolves were a "major cause" of game declines. Measures of decline could include changes in herd movements or feeding patterns, declining survival rates, and fewer calves per adult animal.

The states would be barred from reducing wolf numbers below 200 animals or 20 breeding pairs in any one state. That's twice the 100 wolves and 10 breeding pairs considered the benchmark for a recovered population.

Steve Nadeau, manager of the Idaho Department of Fish and Game's large carnivore program, said his agency prefers that wolves be removed from the endangered species list, which would give the state full control.

Absent that, Nadeau said Idaho needs some outlet for harvesting wolves. With a reproduction rate topping 30 percent annually, wolf numbers can be reduced by a third every year without a population drop, according to federal studies.

"If there's any species that can handle management, wolves can," Nadeau said.

Wyoming officials said four elk herds in the northwest corner of the state have suffered due to wolves. Wyoming Game and Fish Department spokesman Eric Keszler said there was no timeline for dealing with those problems if the federal proposal is approved.

In Montana, where two elk herds near Yellowstone have been hit hard, state officials say they are unlikely to use the new rule to protect big game, opting instead to limit harvests by hunters. Wolf coordinator Carolyn Sime with the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks added that it is largely a moot point since there were only 21 breeding pairs in the state at the end of 2006.

Additional hearings on the federal proposal are planned for today in Helena, Mont., and Thursday in Boise, Idaho.

It could be put in place by the end of the year, said spokeswoman Sharon Rose.

But the balance of power in the region's forests could soon tilt against those 1,300 wolves

Through 2006, federal wildlife agents killed an additional 495 wolves

So let me understand this... They killed about 40% of the wolf population last year? Or is there 1300 left meaning they killed 30% of 1800?

Either way, that to me right there says they don't have a fuggn clue how many wolves there are. Even if 30% of the wolf population warrants destuction that is a serrious problem. You would think, even the woff hippies could figure that out.

I've read many times that only a "small percentage" of wolves will become problem wolves. If thats the case there must be about 3x as many wolves as they claim. Small percentage to me is less than 10%.

At what percentage of the total population, will the wolf hippies stand up and say we fugged up here? 50%?

I'd also bet there are another 150-200 wolves not included in that 495. which were sent to the the big hunting ground in the sky by hunters and ranchers last year.

21 breeding pairs in MT. Sure... Are they just counting the ones within 20 miles of the park boundary? What a fuggn joke.

Bambi, I think the 495 number is for the entire period since the reintroduction, through 2006.

I've been saying this for some time. Idaho and Wyoming want to manage the wolf populations. Carolyn does not.

"state officials say they are unlikely to use the new rule to protect big game, opting instead to limit harvests by hunters."

.......so who was saying that wolves are not reducing hunter opportunity?

I still stay they either don't have a fuggn clue how many wolves there are or they aren't saying. You can walk up ANY drainage in the Madison or Gallatin valley and find fresh wolf tracks. There are a lot of draingages... Its to the point that there are as many or more wolf tracks around as lion tracks.

Here's a few that didn't make it through the winter of '02.

deadwofs.jpg

BHR,

With the decreased hunter opportunity in Montana...are you going to shoot 2 elk or 3 elk?

Just curious.

How about deer tags? 3-4? 8-10?

How about antelope? 2-3?

I'm living down here in the predator pit formerly known as Wyoming. Somehow the G&F has once again screwed up big-time. I have 3 antelope tags in my possession...and could get another 3 if I wanted. I have 2 deer tags, but could get 3 more if I wanted. I do have a bull elk permit in a quality unit, along with a cow/calf permit in the same area.

I tell you what, these wolves are really starting to cut into my hunting opportunities.

I'm living down here in the predator pit formerly known as Wyoming. Somehow the G&F has once again screwed up big-time. I have 3 antelope tags in my possession...and could get another 3 if I wanted. I have 2 deer tags, but could get 3 more if I wanted. I do have a bull elk permit in a quality unit, along with a cow/calf permit in the same area.

I tell you what, these wolves are really starting to cut into my hunting opportunities.
That's funny! Busy this fall?? ;) At the rate I'm drawing tags now in UT it'd take me 5 years to get that many tags...

I think that article had a bit of bias behind it...

PS-BHR we still on for the bet?

Buzz,

How many wolves are currently in S. E. Wyoming???? That's what I thought. You missed the main point of this article. The feds are going on offense, and are putting the huggers on defense. Good news if you are a fan of delisting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HappyClar
Back