Wolf and elk hunting

Elkmagnet

Idaho is proposing It's 2011 wolf season They are wanting to let us buy 2 tags a year. They are also wanting to let us hunt for wolves during the archery season. I am wondering what you guys think about potential conflicts between wolf rifle hunters and elk hunters if you foresee any at all. I for 1 am all for it! here's a link to idaho fishing games proposal

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/cms/hunt/wolf/proposals.cfm

please remember to leave a comment with idaho fish and game remember even if you don't live in idaho this problem is spreading to other states rapidly and what we do here will set a precedent for what is done in other states.

So what do you guys think of the proposal thanks; Justin

Overall I think most of the current proposal is alright. We already let guys hunt bears with rifles during archery elk season, so I don't see this being a huge problem. I for one look forward to trying for one with my bow while elk hunting.

Good point about the bear season Happening during archery elk Although I do know a few guys who have had conflicts with bear dogs chasing herds of elk while they were trying to bow hunt them. if there would have been a wolf hunt during september back when we had our first wolf season in idaho i would have stuck me a wolf. For some reason I had 2 opportunities in september that year and none the rest of the year, go figure.

If Wyoming gets a season, I think a cool episode would be the Wolf Trifecta - One in MT, One in ID, and One in WY, all in one episode.

How cool would that be? Come on WY/USFWS, get your deal sorted out. I have an episode in the making.

Thanks for chiming in guys I was starting to wonder if this thread was ever going to gain any momentum I'm very interested in seeing what people think of the proposal I for 1 think that fishing game wants to take down as many wolves as they can without looking like they are being too liberal with the seasons in case of future litigation but that's just my opinion and yes 1 episode with 3 wolf hunts in 3 states that would be on my dvr until the day it broke I would actually buy a hard copy of that it kind of give a guy goosebumps just thinking about it.

Good point about the bear season Happening during archery elk Although I do know a few guys who have had conflicts with bear dogs chasing herds of elk while they were trying to bow hunt them. if there would have been a wolf hunt during september back when we had our first wolf season in idaho i would have stuck me a wolf. For some reason I had 2 opportunities in september that year and none the rest of the year, go figure.

See and I've had the exact opposite help me. I was moving in close on a good 5x5 bull located on a bench above a road 200 yards, he had cows with him. I could see a diesel truck coming up the road with a strike dog on the hood barking. All the elk were watching him as I stalked closer through fairly open area, got behind a stump and spike squealed and the bull came right to me. I misjudged the yardage and missed the bull, but basically the bear hunter helped me. So I don't think wolf hunters will have a huge impact on archery season. Now if what you described had happened to me I might have a differwent opinion.

I for one would be happy to have a wolf hunter interrupt an elk hunt. Better to have a temporary setback then compete with a full time 24x7 elk killing machine with buddies. I sold out of a very nice hunting shack in northern MN because of wolfs and Lions. We used to have a good deer heard then we starting seeing wolf tracks, then we started seeing wolves and finally even a Mtn lion was spotted. We eventually quite seeing any deer at all and finally decided to sell my share and start hunting other parts of the state with a better deer heard. The shack was in Pine County southwest of Moose Lake - No Quota Bear permits! It was the only bright spot of the shack in the end.

Thinking about not archery elk hunting this year so I can chase wolves instead and learn some new areas. But it would be awesome to get a wolf with a bow.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back