Yeti GOBOX Collection

Wisconsin Wolf kill reaches 50% of statewide quota after first day of season; DNR to close three zones

Great job. Congratulations to all the hunters.

My guess is lots of WI wolf hunters drive blue minivans.

Back then you do realize the means by which they killed wolves, right?
I certainly do. And as I said in the other thread I would allow those effective methods to be used again.

They don't tell us the hunting/trapping breakdown. I would bet it was more trapping, mostly because the past WI numbers reflected that. Just a theory, but trapping is probably harder in MT and ID because of the vast expanse of territory. In WI they might be able to narrow down a target area to a travel corridor and be more effective.
I think hunting with dogs is the top right now

I think hunting with dogs is the top right now
I have never seen anyone in MT hunt wolves with dogs. I am not sure of the regs on that and I can't find anything prohibiting it. I know they hunt cats that way, but have never run into a wolf hunter with dogs. I have seen hounds on the trail of a cat miles ahead of the hunters and always thought that if the dogs ran into a pack of wolves the owner might regret the decision. Maybe I have that all wrong.

Until all of your dogs are dead. Idaho hound hunters will avoid areas with known wolf activity.
So far I haven't heard of any dogs harmed\killed in three day wisconsin, but not naive enough to say some weren't injured either. Its different terrain where critters can be cut off as there are more roads. Just saying its an effective method here is all.

I have never seen anyone in MT hunt wolves with dogs. I am not sure of the regs on that and I can't find anything prohibiting it. I know they hunt cats that way, but have never run into a wolf hunter with dogs. I have seen hounds on the trail of a cat miles ahead of the hunters and always thought that if the dogs ran into a pack of wolves the owner might regret the decision. Maybe I have that all wrong.
The majority of the wolves killed up there have been with dogs. At least that's the story I'm getting from several sources that are up there doing it. Except for one guy that used a thermal. Not saying only one was shot with thermal just one that I know of.

3 zones you mean. If you factor in what the "actual" quota is, we are still under since the tribes apparently are not using thier quota. I am surprised that zone 6 had so many taken
It would be interesting to see where in zone 6 some of them were taken.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back